: Tire bubble -- need some help please

-CTS-V-
04-27-12, 10:24 AM
Ok guys, need some of your stellar advice. I have a '09 V with less than 8k miles on it. Even though I take great care of the car it didn't prevent me from getting a bubble in two of my tires. I have a pretty severe one on my front right wheel and a small one on my back left.

Here is where I need some advice. I just moved and my new local Cadillac dealer said this is not a warranty issue. My Michelin PS have plenty of tread on them but I don't want to fork out the $$ and would like to look at other tire options. I see a lot of guys going with Hankooks. What about Kuhmo, BF Goodrich, Continental, etc???

Next, what do you guys think of keeping my two good (Michelin) tires on and only getting two new ones (1 x front, 1 x rear - non-Michelin)? Is that even a smart and feasible option or should I just get a whole new set?

To recap:

Who has had this problem and any luck w/ their dealer?
What brands of tires?
Two or Four tires?

Always appreciate the candid and helpful advice... thanks !!!

LFTW8S
04-27-12, 10:55 AM
Your dealer is wrong. Your tires are under warranty. You need Them to replace ASAP and it will not be an issue with the other two.

jessrayo
04-27-12, 11:15 AM
You can call Michelin direct at 866-866-6605. IMO Michelin has a better product and stands behind them better than anyone. Call them and I would be shocked if they did not find a way to replace your tire.

I definitely would not run a different tire between right and left on the car. It is best to keep all 4 tires the same but if you have to mix, keep each axle the same.

baabootoo
04-27-12, 11:59 AM
Some dealers will handle it, and others won't, but you DO have a warranty on them, unless you damaged them.

thebigjimsho
04-27-12, 01:01 PM
Michelin customer service is, indeed, top notch. And a definite NO to running different tires from left to right...

-CTS-V-
04-27-12, 03:15 PM
thanks for the advice. I will try Michelin and see what they have to say. I was ready to hit the "check out" button at Tire Rack. I will let you guys know how it goes.

----------

so I called Michelin and they sent me to the nearest Michelin dealer who informed me that the bubbles (outward not inward) are from potholes (i.e. driver's fault) and won't be covered by Michelin. Looks like I am off to Tire Rack to by some rubber. I will search around but any good tire recommendations that won't cost an arm and a leg?

tinman
04-27-12, 03:49 PM
That sounds like pure B.S. to me.

Tire Rack has a great way to compare tires. You have to decide which tire characteristics mean the most to you. Is it dry handling, is it wet handling, is it longevity? Only you can decide. As everyone has said, don't intermix tires. If you do then keep the axles the same. Personally, and it is easy for me to spend your money, I would get a complete set of four tires and sell the other two on Craigslist and our forum right here.

neuronbob
04-27-12, 08:33 PM
It's not a surprise that the dealer declined to cover the sidewall bubbles. The only time I've had them is from potholes.

Trapspeed
04-27-12, 10:46 PM
I think that claim is ridiculous. So how can they differentiate between a broken cord or pothole damage?? Bullshit of the highest order.

neuronbob
04-28-12, 12:05 AM
I think that claim is ridiculous. So how can they differentiate between a broken cord or pothole damage?? Bullshit of the highest order.

In one tire you could make that argument. The OP has two tires with bubbles. This makes road impact damage much more likely.

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-12, 01:39 AM
It all depends on where the bubble is located on the tires. I had a bubble on the sidewall of two of my tires, but they were due to pothole impact damage which is NOT covered under warranty. I had to replace those two tires.

Trapspeed
04-28-12, 09:14 AM
In one tire you could make that argument. The OP has two tires with bubbles. This makes road impact damage much more likely.

Ah. Missed that. Thanks for clarifying.

Teutonaddict
04-28-12, 11:13 AM

Orlando area = silky smooth roadways, concrete highways, potholes? what potholes?!?
Cleveland area (neuronbob) = "two seasons, winter and construction" potholes big enough to swallow an armored truck
Its all in your frame of reference!

thebigjimsho
04-28-12, 03:43 PM
Potholes aren't the only way to damage tires.

Also, for $500-600, a tire and wheel warranty is VERY good insurance.

As for cheaper tires that work well, I recommend the Hankook V12 evos. They aren't quite as good in dry handling as the PS2s but they still let the V feel like a V. They also don't launch as well as the PS2. But the wet handling is as good, they cut through standing water amazingly well and they wear very, very well...

-CTS-V-
04-29-12, 10:00 AM
I was coming from San Diego which had pretty good road conditions but I still ended up with bubbles. I have Eibach springs on my car and since they stiffen the suspension I would only assume that it makes my tires more susceptible to damage. As of this week I am living in Virginia and have already noticed rougher road conditions, especially on the highways. Hopefully my new set of Hankooks will serve me well. Glad to hear that those tires do well in the rain since I am now relocated to a place that rains about 100% more than San Diego.

Unclemelty
04-29-12, 10:19 AM
This week I hit one of those yellow "bumps" that look like hard hats buried in the concrete with my front left tire...distracted driving :-)
Next day....bump on the tire, certain it was a busted steel belt. Replaced that Hankook tire with another as I hit this thing hard and it didn't blow...quite frankly it should have. It also "folded" up over the edge of the wheel leaving rubber on the wheel edge but no damage to the rim. I'm very impressed and satisfied. Roads in Texas aren't great but they're not too bad either, we'll see how the rears hold up as I've got 10k on them.

js615
04-30-12, 02:47 PM
As for cheaper tires that work well, I recommend the Hankook V12 evos. They aren't quite as good in dry handling as the PS2s but they still let the V feel like a V. They also don't launch as well as the PS2. But the wet handling is as good, they cut through standing water amazingly well and they wear very, very well...

Jim - I thought you were all about the Conti DWs...

thebigjimsho
04-30-12, 05:37 PM
Jim - I thought you were all about the Conti DWs...Nope. Never.

I had thought of the Conti DWS for the winter of 2011 but never got them.