: Potential New owner with a few ?'s

wellhungsmurf
04-27-12, 01:09 AM
Hey Caddy forum. My first ever post! I have a few questions i'm looking for a new car and I've narrowed it down to 4.
1)IS-f
2)C63 AMG
3)CTS-V
4)Audi S4.

IF I could afford it a 2012 M-5 but I don't. :devil:

1) Now any of you CTS-V owners look at or own any of these? Why did you choose the CTS?

2)The german cars are expensive to fix and take to the dealer, how does caddy compair?

3) Any regrets on your CTS?

4) And what's your average MPG if you drive conserative?
Thanks in advance!!

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 08:18 AM
I was in the same position as you looking over the same cars.
IS-F? Hah!
C63 AMG? Nice car, but insurance would be high, and modding wouldn't be fun past a tune.
S4? Too slow and same as above.
Hence, the CTS-V. And it beats the competition; S4/RS5, M3, IS-F, C63/E63, XFR, and the early M5 and GT500.

MPG? Really? Search my thread made.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-27-12, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the forum! :) I'm sure you'll be hearing plenty of great responses to your questions, and if you have any lingering concerns please don't hesitate to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Happy car shopping,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

DangFoo
04-27-12, 11:34 AM
Yes, I looked at all of those cars you mentioned, except the Lexus; not a fan of Toyota and I personally think the IS is rather fugly.
1) Lexus IS-F as noted above; also, my buddy had one and seat of the pants feel is that the car is slower than published numbers.
2) Benz C63 AMG is a nice looking car with clean lines and a clinical interior; just brutally expensive to operate. I bought my '11 CTS-V used (7K miles) at a Benz dealership and there was a C63 parked next to the V. The C63s styling was very "subdued" next to the V. You can determine whether that's a good or bad thing, as I'm personally neutral (while appreciating the noted clean lines), since I didn't buy the V to turn heads; plenty of exotics and coupes if that's your thing.
3) S4 is a very balanced car, but perhaps the most boring of the lot as a result. I've always appreciated Audis and I do like the S4, but it does not give me the same visceral feeling as the V's 6.2L beast of a powerplant.

I don't buy Asian cars, but if I was going to consider a European alternative to the V, then I'd go in this order -

1) BMW M3: Styling (Interior and Exterior) + Handling
2) Mercedes-Benz C63 .. the interior re-design is an improvement
3) Audi S4: Again, I like the Audi marque overall, but the S4 doesn't really get my blood pumping and i honestly don't know why - some primal thing perhaps.

Xaqtly
04-27-12, 11:53 AM
1) Now any of you CTS-V owners look at or own any of these? Why did you choose the CTS?

2)The german cars are expensive to fix and take to the dealer, how does caddy compair?

3) Any regrets on your CTS?

4) And what's your average MPG if you drive conserative?
Thanks in advance!!

1. CTS-V because a) it's much faster than any of the other cars you listed, b) I could get it with a manual and c) I could get it in a wagon.

2. The CTS-V has a standard 50k mile/4 year warranty, and their service is generally considered to be outstanding. Unfortunately my V has not been the most reliable and I've had to bring it in twice for major issues, but each time everything was fixed, no questions asked, at no cost to me.

3. No. The CTS-V is probably the best car I've ever owned. Not the most problem-free, but the best.

4. I rarely drive conservatively, because I have a stonking great 6.2 liter V8 under my right foot, and what's the point of buying this car if you can't enjoy that? However, on long trips I just set the cruise control and relax, and when I do that I've gotten 19.5 MPG. Honestly if I cared at all about MPG I would have gotten a Prius or something. My average day to day mix of city and highway driving to work and back gets me about 15 MPG.

allinmyhead
04-27-12, 12:01 PM
I'm a long time euro owner coming to GM for the first time. Wife still owns an Audi.

1) IS-F ... uh, no thanks, not even on my radar.
2) C63. Yes please, but I needed something a 1/2 size bigger. All of the cars at dealers in my area were priced in the low 90s and none of them were willing to talk numbers off msrp.
4) S4. Yes, looked at this car. The dealers in my area had them priced in the mid to upper 50's and for the price point it undercuts the M3 significantly. Ultimately it just wasn't in the same league as the CTS-V.

Also looked at the E63, but same as the C63, dealers had them in the 110k range and unwilling to discuss price under msrp.

So, if you're used to euros the concession you have to make is in the build quality. You just don't get performance at the this level at this price point without some downsides. Interior materials are a cut below the euro competition; they just are. There are going to be squeeks and creeks. What you do get it though is a whole lot more character ... and oh yeah, 550hp/550ft lb, brembos all around and dynamic suspension all for 65k.

Pphilthy
04-27-12, 12:10 PM
Go drive all 4 cars and the decision should be an easy one - was for me...

JFJr
04-27-12, 12:59 PM
Service on my car is like service on any other American car; that is, simple oil and other fluid/filter changes at reasonable prices, much lower than than foreign car maintenance. Of course, high performance tires are expensive, no matter what make of car, and you wouldn't want to put cheap tires on such a capable super sedan/coupe/wagon. Everyone loves the "V's" suspension. The shocks, and maybe other suspension components as well, aren't licensed to Ferrari for nothing. The LS family of V-8's that GM makes are compact, very powerful and efficient. You don't need the increased size, weight and complexity of a 4-valve-per-cylinder engine. A lot of that is marketing hype to attract non-car types. Admittedly, I am an Amercan car fan and like to support American companies.

Jud

wellhungsmurf
04-27-12, 02:45 PM
Thanks for all the helpful posts. I knew the MPG question is a odd one. But this will be my daily driver and if I can get a fast good looking sedan, AND better mpg's that's icing on the cake!

I need some Forced induction I live in Denver. So the IS-F is out. Audi S4 isn't in the same league. But it's good looking to me. I've read alot of bad reviews on the unltraview. Have they fixed that yet?