M5eater
04-26-12, 10:32 PM
first impression of the TR-6060
it's perfect
short throws
perfect engagement
good release point
good pedal pressure
not the mushy POS gates like the OE1 in my B5 S4.

why the hell did I even think about a 6L90E before at least trying one? Because I never would have compromised if I had known. :banghead:

my only complaint is that the center console isn't strictly ideal in terms of egronomics for a manual trans, it just seems higher up than it should be. The shift knob isn't my favorite either so far.

Houdini
04-26-12, 10:42 PM
No pics?!?!?!??!?! Fail!!!!!!!!!!

RapidRob
04-26-12, 11:07 PM
Congrats!! But, now you are, "slower", than most of the automatic V's ....

Welcome to the MT club!

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-12, 12:29 AM
M5eater,

You traded in the '11 for a '12?

Details and PICS, please.

SoCal_V
04-27-12, 01:15 AM
I love manuals & prefer them...except when living in LA.

Enjoy in good health M5.

M5eater
04-27-12, 07:35 AM
I had posted pics in the delivered thread, but here they are again (and a few more)
Recaro seats
suede trim
graphite rims
yellow calipers
no roof.
no wood trim.
No PDI plastic removal prep

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0258.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0253.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0255.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0263.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0264.jpg

of course, the MOST important part;
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0270.jpg

anyone notice the Recaro seats are made by lear? ;)
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0256.jpg

marktanner
04-27-12, 08:18 AM
M5eater, try moving the seat seat further back a bit, then the steering wheel too to bring the arms back to proper position. IMO, the shifter is placed too far back in relation to the pedals compared to most cars, and it only feels natural to shift when the seat is further back. As a bonus, straightening the right leg helps keep it from fouling the center stack, though the accelerator may feel a bit distant compared to what you are used to. That's what worked for me in both of my MT CTS's.

JFJr
04-27-12, 08:52 AM
Try moving the seat higher and rocking it back slightly. That worked for me and puts the shifter at the proper height.

Jud

Houdini
04-27-12, 12:59 PM
Beautiful looking sedan!

thebigjimsho
04-27-12, 01:19 PM
I'm really, really happy you're enjoying the 6060. I've always thought it to be an about perfect transmission...

FLTRI
04-27-12, 02:07 PM
Very nice! I've seen a few 12's in the Opulent Blue, and it really is a fantastic color.

I'd go with some different seat covers though... :histeric:

LV_V
04-27-12, 02:33 PM
That's the exact car I'm after, minus the second pair of doors and yellow calipers. The color is gorgeous. Congrats.

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-12, 04:03 PM
Very nice! Did you go from a V Coupe to a V Sedan?

FFBOS
04-27-12, 04:29 PM
Love the color

M5eater
04-27-12, 04:56 PM
went from sedan to sedan I'll clean her up and get some good photos today or tomorrow

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 05:04 PM
Nice. Why the change?

quikag
04-27-12, 05:48 PM
I have the TR6060 in my Vette and love it, but for a daily driver the 6L90E is a great transmission in the V.

M5eater
04-27-12, 05:54 PM
Nice. Why the change?

the V is my fun car, I hesitate to say the V was booring, because it wasn't, but I missed the extra enjoyment rowing gears provided.

plus, I couldn't wear my stig helmet with the sunroof, the paint was a nightmare to maintain, and I was able to do the swap for very little $$$ considering I turned in 3 years early.

I'd be lying if I said the small mpg and rainsense wipers didn't play a small part too

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 06:00 PM
It was a lease? That makes sense then. Where did you trade it in?

M5eater
04-27-12, 06:02 PM
yes, dropped the trade at colonial cadillac, right from the dealer I bought it from.

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 06:09 PM
I wonder what they will list it for.

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-12, 06:09 PM
I miss the manual that I had in my '06 CTS-V. I see what you are saying, but I dont find it hard to keep the Black Diamond paint clean at all. Black Raven was a nightmare, but the Black Diamond seems to be so much easier to keep clean.

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 06:11 PM
How so?

M5eater
04-27-12, 08:06 PM
I wonder what they will list it for.

I asked, between 68-69, they're going to CPO certify it, and likely end up taking 65-66 for it. I thought that was a lot considering it had 9500 miles, but the CPO warranty is pretty awesome too.

to clarify, correcting black diamond was impossible, the flake actually made it easier to hide dirt and scratches, but as a paint to try to keep detailed, it was pretty much as bad as you can get.

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 09:27 PM
Bwahahahah! The CPO only costs $1000-1200. Is anybody dumb enough to pay $66K for a used 2011 with 10K miles when the invoice on it was only $65K when new?

mother
04-27-12, 09:35 PM
I asked, between 68-69, they're going to CPO certify it, and likely end up taking 65-66 for it. I thought that was a lot considering it had 9500 miles, but the CPO warranty is pretty awesome too.

Well, I'm glad their crack smoking worked in your favor on the lease swap :) (I have a feeling you meant to type 56-58k...)

undertaker
04-28-12, 10:16 AM
Paid 64 before taxes on my 11 bd sedan new, im only up to 5k miles though

Razorecko
04-28-12, 12:51 PM
glad to see you made the switch. I have about 47k miles on my stick V and it still puts a smile on my face.

M5eater
04-28-12, 01:12 PM
Bwahahahah! The CPO only costs $1000-1200. Is anybody dumb enough to pay $66K for a used 2011 with 10K miles when the invoice on it was only $65K when new?

invoice for a fully loaded Black Diamond was 71-72.

I would be astonished if they get 66 for it(I figured he really didn't know and was picking a very general number out of his head), although, iirc the payoff was high 50s, and they need to make ~ $3k on it, so they do need to get pretty close to low 60s.

smackdownCTSV
04-28-12, 03:20 PM
When I was looking last year, it was definitely under $70K. On Edmund's now, it says $68K for 2012s.

thebigjimsho
04-28-12, 03:29 PM
the V is my fun car, I hesitate to say the V was booring, because it wasn't, but I missed the extra enjoyment rowing gears provided.

plus, I couldn't wear my stig helmet with the sunroof, the paint was a nightmare to maintain, and I was able to do the swap for very little $$$ considering I turned in 3 years early.

I'd be lying if I said the small mpg and rainsense wipers didn't play a small part tooThis ghai gets it...

mother
04-28-12, 03:31 PM
invoice for a fully loaded Black Diamond was 71-72.
Definitely not. That was the sticker price for a fully loaded CTS-V.

Invoice was ~$67k, anyone could get under invoice using Costco/Sam's/AAA/USAA etc., and then there was another $2k in factory cash available($3k on Wagons, $0 on Coupes IIRC).

M5eater
04-28-12, 04:11 PM
oh, sorry,

for some reason I associated invoice with sticker,yes definitally under 70, more like 65-67K as mentioned is what I paid for the first V.

I did snap a few more pics, but today was cloudy.

curiously there was a le mans blue C6 there in the parking lot. The colors look 95% the same.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0272.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0273.jpg

JOEYCTS-V
04-28-12, 06:57 PM
Good luck with the car. Tint the windows and black out the trim! :worship:

smackdownCTSV
04-28-12, 07:17 PM
Kind of looks like that BMW blue. Which is why I was eying that used 2012 with the same options, but they want $59K.

Me Wanna A V
04-28-12, 08:46 PM
Smart boy!!!

Good job with the RHO Tow Hook front plate holder.

P.S.---Beautiful automobile you have there!!!

M5eater
04-28-12, 11:05 PM
Kind of looks like that BMW blue. Which is why I was eying that used 2012 with the same options, but they want $59K.
Its somewhere in between imperial blue and MCB. MCB is closer to nogaro blue most of the time, where OB is closer to a darker blue, but not almost black/purple-looking like Imperial blue or that new C6 color is.

I wish it were closer to MCB or Nogaro Blue, but it's very nice for what it is too, and it gets that 'pop' to it when it's in direct sunlight, which has a side effect and gives it this weird/nice looking effect where the blue gets brighter on the edges/creases and angled body panels of the car. It's interesting.

The flake is also SUPER fine, I mistook it for a solid color the first time I saw it.

Good luck with the car. Tint the windows and black out the trim!
that's the project for tomorrow while it's raining!

Kluch
04-29-12, 12:00 AM
So you turned in your lease early. Been thinking of doing the same and getting an opulent blue coupe. I lease through ally. What type of penalty did they impose? How much did you have to pay out of pocket and what's your new monthly payment? PM me if you don't want to post. The perceived cost is the sole reason I haven't done this.

JimmyH
04-29-12, 03:45 PM
At least you guise have a decent shifter and clutch.

Harry_Wild
04-29-12, 09:03 PM
Next CTS -V will be DTC! Cannot wait! MT is for the birds! All the foreign supercars over $200K are DTCs!

JFJr
04-29-12, 09:13 PM
Next CTS -V will be DTC! Cannot wait! MT is for the birds! All the foreign supercars over $200K are DTCs!Who cares, maybe you're a mockingbird.

M5eater
04-29-12, 09:46 PM
Next CTS -V will be DTC! Cannot wait! MT is for the birds! All the foreign supercars over $200K are DTCs!
wrong.

Gallardo Balboni

Manual only.

That is all.

cvs
04-29-12, 11:39 PM
Welcome to the opulent blue club.

Razorecko
04-30-12, 09:58 AM

Guys with stix still get more chix

thebigjimsho
04-30-12, 11:40 AM
And pixy stix...

neuronbob
04-30-12, 11:55 AM
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0272.jpg
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/blmlozz/DSC_0273.jpg

Stop it M5eater, I am increasingly tempted to trade for a 6MT Vagon. Wife has never driven my V anyway so the "she has to be able to drive it in an emergency" argument is moot. The V has so much torque that in an emergency, I just have to teach her how to shift into second gear and we're done.

DAMN YOU M5EATER! ;) and congrats.

M5eater
04-30-12, 12:19 PM
The 6060 with an LSA is acutally pretty awesome to learn how to drive stix on.

Its extremely difficult to stall. I still managed to shift like a pro and retain my dignity in the first drive home after 3 years in an Auto.
Infact, I haven't stalled or missed a shift once, yet.

Razorecko
04-30-12, 12:23 PM
The 6060 with an LSA is acutally pretty awesome to learn how to drive stix on.

Its extremely difficult to stall. I still managed to shift like a pro and retain my dignity in the first drive home after 3 years in an Auto.
Infact, I haven't stalled or missed a shift once, yet.

Stalling is difficult and the only shift that I missed one time in my few years of ownership is 4-5th as that is a little long imho. A short shifter would be great and uuc is supposadly making one

Xaqtly
04-30-12, 02:55 PM
From a stop you can just let the clutch out slowly and it will start moving without stalling. You don't even need your foot on the gas for that. That's how I back out of my garage, just let the clutch out.

I will say there is one thing that bothers me a little bit, and that is the gas and brake pedal placement. The gas pedal is much closer to the floor than the brake pedal is, and that makes it basically impossible to heel and toe downshift while braking. This is one of the things they didn't bother to change when transforming a standard CTS into a V. You can rev match as long as you don't need to brake.

JFJr
04-30-12, 03:34 PM
Stalling is difficult and the only shift that I missed one time in my few years of ownership is 4-5th as that is a little long imho. A short shifter would be great and uuc is supposadly making oneSometimes I'll find 5th instead of 3rd, from 2nd, if I'm pulling some G's from the left. I think that's just a lapse in concentration, not a fault of the transmission, and I should complete or delay the shift before the G's start. These things happen when you're actually driving and not just along for the ride.

Jud

thebigjimsho
04-30-12, 05:44 PM
Are you Jud?

Teutonaddict
04-30-12, 05:48 PM
I will say there is one thing that bothers me a little bit, and that is the gas and brake pedal placement. The gas pedal is much closer to the floor than the brake pedal is, and that makes it basically impossible to heel and toe downshift while braking. This is one of the things they didn't bother to change when transforming a standard CTS into a V. You can rev match as long as you don't need to brake.

Agree with your assessment, Xaqtly. That's why I added a billet pedal kit from a former vendor and then shimmed the accelerator pedal upward with a longer machine screw and washers. It ain't perfect, and it's still a far cry from the heel-and-toe nirvana I had in my '00 M5, but it's a heckuva lot better than stock.

Here's what I'm talking about:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/162589-srp-billet-pedals-20-off-4.html

thebigjimsho
04-30-12, 05:55 PM
I just wish the gas and brake were closer together. And I find I need to sit further back to get proper knee bend for more effective heel/toe...

Teutonaddict
04-30-12, 06:13 PM
I just wish the gas and brake were closer together. And I find I need to sit further back to get proper knee bend for more effective heel/toe...

I'll stop the threadjack....after this. I find the aftermarket pedals help both with relative elevation and spacing, as the gas pedal has a tab to place them closer together.

thebigjimsho
05-01-12, 12:30 PM
I just wish there were pedals that looked as good as the stock aluminum ones...

js615
05-02-12, 10:32 AM
Well this just about sums up the Manual versus Auto discussions of late:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/01/car-buyers-falling-back-in-love-with-manual-transmissions/

Personally, I love my A6 for the daily drive, but miss the heck out of the M6 for pure fun. ...I Need two V's... (inserts exasperated sigh from wife here)

marktanner
05-06-12, 04:59 PM
Last fall I attended the CTS-V driving event at Road Atlanta. John Heinricy was there. I complained a bit about the pedal positions making it difficult to heel and toe. He stated that he heeled and toed all the time during testing, and thought the pedal placement was great. He stated that he really only drove them on the track, though, and thought that maybe as the brakes warmed up, the brake pedal sunk a bit. I then did two different track sessions, in two different MT cars, and found that the pedals worked great on the track, and I was rev matching like I always wanted to in a CTS-V. Doesn't help on the street, though it's not quite as important on the street as it is on the track. Better positioning for the street might even make it harder to do on the track with the current brake set-up.

Xaqtly
05-07-12, 03:17 AM
and thought that maybe as the brakes warmed up, the brake pedal sunk a bit.

Then what they need to do is fix the brakes so the pedal doesn't sink under heavy use, adjust the brake pedal lower, then heel and toe will be possible on the street and on the track. Steel braided brake lines maybe?

I know heel and toe isn't important on the street per se, but I do it anyway. I've been rev matching my manual transmission cars for 15+ years, it saves on wear and tear and it's smoother. In my 2005 Subaru Legacy GT, the original clutch was still in it and going strong when I sold it - with 92,000 miles on it. So it's not a huge complaint, just something I sort of wish they had put more time into solving. The Corvette's pedal arrangement is much closer and therefore easier to heel and toe, for example.