: Looking for some friendly opinions

Manseeno
04-26-12, 08:23 PM
Hello everybody,
I have been looking for my first V and I am "stuck" between two cars;

The first is a 2004 with about 92K miles and no moon roof. It has new tires and the brakes are good. It drove well when I test drove it. I had it inspected and it needs tie-rod ends and an alignment for sure, and the rear differential bushing has been replaced (but the diff. is believed to be original). There are some dings/scratches, the most noticeable being a golf-ball sized ding on the roof and a dime sized ding on the passenger-side rear door. The interior shows some wear, especially on the shifter, floor mats, and driver's seat, and there is a very noticeable stain on the front passenger seat-back suede. There seems to be no service records, but the seller insists the car has been taken care of.....The seller wants $14K for it.

The other one is a 2006 with 63K miles, asking price dropped from $21K to $17.9K. I have not seen this one in person, but from the pics this one has a flawless interior and very good exterior. Here is a link for it: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/2980467523.html

The reason it is not a "no-brainer" for me is that the 06 is black and I already know what having a black car is all about having owned a black '94 Firebird (an LT1 - yikes!) before. I plan to keep the car mostly stock, and I really did not want to spend more than a certain amount; but, if you were me, which one would you pursue? Would you stretch for the 06 because of the differential/transmission improvements and lower miles? Or should I focus on the 04 knowing that the dings & stains could probably be fixed relatively inexpensively? I don't plan to race, but I do enjoy an occasional "spirited" drive / freeway romp.

I appreciate any and all input!

Thank you

darkman
04-26-12, 08:36 PM
I dislike moon roofs and would not own a black car for reasons with which you are already familiar, but the 2006 strikes me as a much better deal.

rand49er
04-26-12, 10:26 PM
For a paltry $3.9k, I'd seriously consider the '06. Not only is the diff two years newer, so is everything else.

Black can't be that bad where you are, can it? I mean, it rains in January and only sparingly the other 11 months. It's not like you live in Michigan or anything. :D

odthetruth
04-26-12, 11:01 PM
Black is horrible no matter where you live. As long as there may be trees and rain, it's going to be bad. LOL

06 seems like it might be a better deal.

Hockeyref
04-27-12, 12:11 AM
I bought my '06 V last year, and did not consider anything older than that mainly because of the improved differential. Mine is black and my next car won't be due to the extra time keeping it looking clean. That said I would spend the extra $$ to go for the '06 if it is in nice shape- lower miles, better value.

garrettg
04-27-12, 01:31 AM
Truck motor v's is all looked for get the 06 unless you are dead set on a no sunroof car. Not having sqeaks and extra headroom would be nice. I am still waiting for a kit to replace the sunroof with a stock looking lw panel.

ccclarke
04-27-12, 01:58 AM
I've got a pristine Platinum 04 V with less than 35k on it (moonroof too) that I plan to sell in the near future for around 21k. I'm in Sac if you're interested. The car still smells new.
Corsa exhaust, short throw shifter and a few other goodies. The car has never had a problem.
CC

Manseeno
04-27-12, 03:35 AM
Thank you all very much for the feedback, and thank you CC for the kind offer, your V sounds very nice but I just cant swing 21k.

It sounds like the responsible thing for me to do is at least check out the 06;
One more question if I may, how low of a price would the 04 V I looked at have to be in order for it to be roughly the same value proposition as the 06 V? (I have a figure in mind, I'm just looking for a sanity check)
Thanks again!

Tackelbarry
04-27-12, 07:27 AM
Definately, the 06. That being said, I also had one, and only one black car. I would wait and find the car in the color that you want. The economy is not getting any better, and will probably not get better in the near future, so it is likely people will continue to sell off their toys. I bought my 04 in all original and pristine condition with 46,000 miles on it a few months ago for $16.500.00. Like CCClark said above, mine still smells new. Be patient, someone will need to sell the car, in the color, with the ammenities, and for the price you want. Hope this helps.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-27-12, 10:17 AM
Welcome to the forum, Manseeno! If you have further questions, I'm always happy to help. Email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com I'm very glad see you've already received some great feedback!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

CancerJCC
04-27-12, 11:55 AM
I'm with Tackleberry. Don't "settle" for either. Wait it out and find the one that is perfect for you. I drove from GA to OH to pick mine up because it was what I wanted!

Also I know you said you were staying stock but if you think you might EVER do some mods then look for them in place. Sellers have to take about 2% of the mods value when they sell their cars. You can benefit dearly with a "tastefully" modded V for the price of a stock one.

Faber
04-27-12, 12:24 PM
CancerJCC has some good points. Out of the two listed I'd opt for the '06 - you can't ever make a car have less mileage so better to start lower. Also, doesn't the '06 have steering wheel controls for the stereo? Sucks that my '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee has them but my '04 V does not

repenttokyo
04-27-12, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't buy an abused car. I have a high miles V, but there's no way to tell that by looking at it. The car you are looking at sounds like it was ridden hard and put away wet.

Mark05
04-27-12, 03:30 PM
ive been driving Black cars for 20 years no matter what car you drive Black is the Best color
yes it demands more attention but IMO its worth it

but i also like the grey color on the V's

Manseeno
04-27-12, 05:59 PM
Thanks everybody, I will report back once I have found the V that's right right for me; I am actually indifferent to whether or not it has a moonroof (I lean toward not having it but I know my two sons would enjoy it). My first color choice is silver, second would be the grey. Now if I could just find a sweet deal like Tackelbarry reasonably close to me....