: 2013 Shelby Mustang GT500 Certified At 662 Horsepower...

GM-4-LIFE
04-26-12, 04:55 PM
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f37/2013-shelby-mustang-gt500-certified-662-horsepower-110313/

NUTS!! How are they gonna get all that power to the ground? The ZL1 at 580HP is hard enough to launch without launch control.

Get ready for ludicrous speed--the 2013 Shelby Ford Mustang GT500 has been certified at 662 horsepower--12 more than the promised 650--and 630 pound-feet of torque. Why? Because muscle car. We guess.

In an interview with Jamal Hameedi, chief engineer of Ford's SVT team, and Jim Owens, vice president of marketing for Shelby, at the Team Shelby forums, the mind-blowing Mustang power figures were revealed, along with EPA estimates of 16 mpg city, 24 mpg highway.

As with most extreme high-power/high-torque cars, the run to 60 mph will be done entirely in first gear, taking the time of a shift out of the mix--and likely scoring the GT500 a time somewhere in the low-to-mid three-second range, though that hasn't yet been disclosed.

Xaqtly
04-26-12, 05:28 PM
Probably the same way the ZR1 has to - launch control that retards timing until the tires have grip. And whether you like Mustangs or not, $55k for a 662 HP GT500 is probably the best automotive deal on the planet. It even handles well, like all Mustangs as of the last couple years. One thing I don't like is that the torsen limited slip diff is an option, not standard. Nobody in their right mind would buy this car without a limited slip diff.

rangerrob
04-26-12, 05:36 PM
looks like i'll have to go with the V700 options instead of the V650 to stay out front...

smackdownCTSV
04-26-12, 05:49 PM
The Mustang is a crazy bargain. If only they offered IRS and DCT as options.

Those packages from Hennessey, D3, and LPE are BS. You can piece it out for less and perform better. ie, with just an airaid, ls7 tb, and tune I went 11.75, a tenth faster than Hennessey's V600.

Xaqtly
04-26-12, 05:54 PM
looks like i'll have to go with the V700 options instead of the V650 to stay out front...

You're gonna need more than that, the GT500 also weighs 600 lbs less than the CTS-V. They're obscenely fast, I mean the power to weight ratio is 5.8 lbs per HP. That's considerably faster than a Z06, and horning in on ZR1 territory (for half the price). I estimate you'll need over 750 HP in a V just to keep up with one. To beat one you'll need over 800.

rangerrob
04-26-12, 06:07 PM
The Mustang is a crazy bargain. If only they offered IRS and DCT as options.

Those packages from Hennessey, D3, and LPE are BS. You can piece it out for less and perform better. ie, with just an airaid, ls7 tb, and tune I went 11.75, a tenth faster than Hennessey's V600.

I totally agree that they are overpriced BS, hence why I am going to W4Me in 2 weeks for a heck of a deal.

Moparman4444
04-26-12, 06:12 PM
Wait4me is the best. for way under $4000 in simple boltons with a tune you get a 10 second car with slicks.

smackdownCTSV
04-26-12, 06:40 PM
I've got his complete "V6xx" package; ported snout, ported tb, 2.5 upper pulley, intake, and tune. I hope to have it installed in a few weeks then take it to the track and see how it does.

Trapspeed
04-26-12, 07:14 PM
Let's see what real-world dynos say. We all remember what a disaster the '99 Cobras were rating wise.

Pphilthy
04-26-12, 07:34 PM
If the GT500 is still going to come with 285's in the rear, good luck with traction...

Ste_V_e
04-26-12, 07:39 PM
I don't care how much power the new 500 is making, I came from a 2012 GT500 w/ SVT performance package and it was a nightmare on the streets. It barely put the power down and forget about driving with confidence on anything, but a smooth road.

Any imperfection on the road while taking a corner and the live rear axle felt like it was gonna jump me off the road. The same roads I drove on with my GT500 are soo enjoyable with the V, It's a night and day difference. I'm sure the car could have been decent if I bought dr's, but that would make it into a 1 trick pony at the end of the day.

allinmyhead
04-26-12, 07:52 PM
I just came from a 2012 Mustang GT (new 5.0) and I second Ste_V_e. Even just 400hp was almost impossible to get to the ground on anything but a completely smooth surface. Coming back to the post 1960s world (IRS) was such a relief.

Phil Raymond
04-26-12, 08:54 PM
I don't care how much power the new 500 is making, I came from a 2012 GT500 w/ SVT performance package and it was a nightmare on the streets. It barely put the power down and forget about driving with confidence on anything, but a smooth road.

Any imperfection on the road while taking a corner and the live rear axle felt like it was gonna jump me off the road.

I just came from a 2012 Mustang GT (new 5.0) and I second Ste_V_e. Even just 400hp was almost impossible to get to the ground on anything but a completely smooth surface.

I'm not sure I'm following - are you saying that the backend bucked/jumped when getting on full throttle? Or was it tire spin? I'm not sure i'm following what you mean by requiring a smooth surface...my brother has the ~430HP GT and I've been a passenger when he punched it and while the backend slid I didn't feel any hop. Can't say that I've driven it tho...he did drive my v and noticed a big difference in power...

Just curious as to the differences. My goal is to get my MT to ~650 to the wheels so I can pull on these new Shelbys when they start hitting the road...

cts v hank
04-26-12, 10:58 PM

Any imperfection on the road while taking a corner and the live rear axle felt like it was gonna jump me off the road. The same roads I drove on with my GT500 are soo enjoyable with the V, It's a night and day difference. I'm sure the car could have been decent if I bought dr's, but that would make it into a 1 trick pony at the end of the day.

Hey steve i have a 2012 GT500 with svt/ performance package and you are right on with what you said .... but you should have got the drag radials ive had them on the car since about two weeks of ownership... ive got a 305/45/18 and it does real well in a straight lone but my CTSV will KILL IT IN THE CURVES..... the new 2013 is going to be a more than a handfull.... they are going to be alot of the 2013 GT500 at the savalge yards... from non driving ppl....lol

SoCalCTSV
04-27-12, 12:45 AM
Let's see what real-world dynos say. We all remember what a disaster the '99 Cobras were rating wise.

I had one of those. When it was finally fixed, it was still wheel hop city.

mannyz
04-27-12, 06:50 AM
One night I went out with a friend and his 2011 along with my V. He was following me and took a corner under throttle....I literally saw in slow motion how the rear end came loose and he fought to keep control of it. He ended up spinning out, hitting a curb, and launching one of his wheels 15 feet in the air.

DiamondWhtV
04-27-12, 03:01 PM
Both the new Camaro and the Shelby are impressive in their own right. But for normal everyday street driving...give me the V everytime. Luxury with comfort and great handling with all the power anyone needs on the street. In stock mod...neither one of them will beat out the V until you are at higher speeds and you can't go that fast on the steets. Just sayin...

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-12, 03:28 PM
Both the new Camaro and the Shelby are impressive in their own right. But for normal everyday street driving...give me the V everytime. Luxury with comfort and great handling with all the power anyone needs on the street. In stock mod...neither one of them will beat out the V until you are at higher speeds and you can't go that fast on the steets. Just sayin...

I can't agree with you more! I love my V Coupe!

OldRoadDawg
04-27-12, 04:46 PM
And whether you like Mustangs or not, $55k for a 662 HP GT500 is probably the best automotive deal on the planet.
True - if the MSRP ends up being $55K. But why do I think, at least for the first 6 months or more, the dealers that can get a GT500 on their lot are going to mark up the price big time. And If you want to negotiate price with them you might as well step out of the waiting line.

smackdownCTSV
04-27-12, 05:08 PM
The MSRP is confirmed, it's the same price as the ZL1. And then like you said, the first 6-12 months there will be a lot of dealer markup's.

GM-4-LIFE
04-27-12, 05:49 PM
Big markup at dealers that will even have them!

quikag
04-27-12, 06:02 PM
I think it's great as competition is always a good thing. The V is a whole different animal and I doubt too many people will cross-shop them. The V is a luxury sports sedan that has PLENTY of power for almost anything you could need on the street. It will take a good driver to run better than a 4 second 0-60 in the GT500.

Mike02z
04-27-12, 07:05 PM
I have always liked Mustangs and have had 4 over the years. The last one I had was an 08 manual with a modified Saleen S/C, tuned, LT headers, airbox, cam, suspension mods and put down 575 HP. It was simply impossible to get any traction in any gear other than 5th when you floored it. The live rear axle was also brutal in the turns. I'm sure the new one is better, but I still don't see the good in all that HP if you can't get it to the ground. I would up selling it and picked up an SUV that I quickly sold to get my V last year.

I'm in awe that this horsepower frenzy continues to escalate. Next thing you know the Gen III V's will sport 800 HP! I hate to see it, but I won't be surprised if the government steps in soon. I mean really, how do you justify a street car needing 662 HP?

DiamondWhtV
04-27-12, 07:19 PM
Next thing you know the Gen III V's will sport 800 HP!

Not likely...CAFE will probably force the horsepower down to meet the next fuel economy requirements. Only other thing to do is make the V lighter to keep the current hp to weight ratio. And that isn't likely either for the CTS. I hear rumors the CTS will be bigger for the next gen and the ATS to be slightly smaller than current CTS.

I think we are about at the end of the horsepower race. (for now)

ItsJustMyCaddy
04-28-12, 02:19 AM

Not only was that 13 years ago, but it is trumped by the 2003 Cobras being rated at 390 and dynoing typically from 360-380. However, it will be interesting to see the real world results.

GM-4-LIFE
04-28-12, 02:27 AM
I predict that the V8 engine will be extinct in about 10 years from now, max 15 years. Government (CAFE) regulations won't make it possible for automakers to produce. I will buy the last year V8 powered V-Series vehicle and take care of it, hoping it lasts me the rest of my life. I am a V8 guy and I don't think I can ever go down to a V6 or I-4.

BWhite58
04-28-12, 01:09 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5905827/this-is-why-you-dont-buy-your-stripper-girlfriend-a-shelby-gt500

MReiland
04-29-12, 01:32 PM
You're gonna need more than that, the GT500 also weighs 600 lbs less than the CTS-V. They're obscenely fast, I mean the power to weight ratio is 5.8 lbs per HP. That's considerably faster than a Z06, and horning in on ZR1 territory (for half the price). I estimate you'll need over 750 HP in a V just to keep up with one. To beat one you'll need over 800. Numbers wise it may seem like it should stay with a Z06/Z07 but I haven't yet read much where that is the case, in fact adding more power to the Mustang is just going to make the problem worse....

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1104_2011_chevrolet_corvette_2011_ford_shelby_gt50 0_2012_nissan_gtr_comparison/viewall.html

shchow
04-29-12, 03:56 PM
Although I like the looks of the Mustang over the Camaro, the ZL-1 is going to destroy the Shelby around the track because of the much better suspension...
At the Philly Auto Show, I spoke with the Chevy engineer at the show. He was under the impression that the Shelby will come with warranty disclaimers if the car is tracked. Whereas the Camaro will be fully supported even if the car is tracked...

cts v hank
04-29-12, 05:03 PM
Although I like the looks of the Mustang over the Camaro, the ZL-1 is going to destroy the Shelby around the track because of the much better suspension...
At the Philly Auto Show, I spoke with the Chevy engineer at the show. He was under the impression that the Shelby will come with warranty disclaimers if the car is tracked. Whereas the Camaro will be fully supported even if the car is tracked...

Not true the shebly is fully warranty if tracked as long as car is not modified ...i know this bc i have a 2013 on order to replace my 2012 and my best friend is the ford rep for our state on warranty and i asked him before i ordered new 2013....

Tedboss1
07-10-12, 10:33 AM
First Gt500 in the 9's. This is being done with basic Bolt-Ons
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxEUA0W7nQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

GM-4-LIFE
07-10-12, 03:44 PM
DAMN!! That's fast! They should say bolt ons and full on slicks!

thebigjimsho
07-10-12, 05:54 PM
But C&D couldn't get theirs to come close to 200mph...

larry arizona
07-10-12, 06:11 PM
Thought the 2013 GT 500 was closer to $70K MSRP?

larry arizona
07-10-12, 06:12 PM
2015 CAFE (thanks Obama) will cool off the horsepower wars (like 1971 all over again). Get these cars while you can!

Tedboss1
07-10-12, 06:15 PM
What amazed me more is the 142 MPH which is a indication of serious HP.

atcbrownie
07-10-12, 08:54 PM
Thought the 2013 GT 500 was closer to $70K MSRP?

you can price one out right now on ford.com for about 54k

Trapspeed
07-10-12, 09:45 PM
you can price one out right now on ford.com for about 54k

And don't forget the dealer markup. You'll be in Z06 pricing territory quick.