: Plasti Dip Wheels (Before and After Pics)

brlong23
04-24-12, 11:13 PM
So I decided I didn't like the look of my alloy OEM wheels on my coupe and figured I'd try something different. Went to Home Depot last weekend and picked up a couple cans of Plasti Dip and spent Saturday making my wheels black. The pictures are below and you can check out the 3 videos I put on youtube by searching my name (brlong23). All in all, I'm happy with how it came out and it was a hell of a lot cheaper than buying the Satin Black wheels. Total cost ended up being $25 for 4 cans of Plasti Dip and $3 for sandpaper to smooth out the alloys prior to spraying.

Let me know what you think...

Stillborn
04-24-12, 11:46 PM
looks good. did you do them on the car, or off? i may go this route as well, but i might wait till i decide on new tires first...

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-12, 01:29 AM
Very nice work and CHEAP too! I want to do the grille on my black diamond coupe, but being that it's a lease and I only have about 9 months left with it makes it kind of pointless.

TriTexan
04-25-12, 01:31 AM
I dunno - the black wheels look out of place on almost all the V cars except a few (has nothing to do with your plasti-dip job, which looks pretty nice). I think it would help a lot of various trim pieces on the car matched the wheels, I'm just not sure what. Something needs to tie the wheels in to everything else so they don't look like an afterthought. Just my opinion...

brlong23
04-25-12, 01:44 AM
looks good. did you do them on the car, or off? i may go this route as well, but i might wait till i decide on new tires first...

Did them off the car and sprayed the entire rim, inside the wheel and the front. Didin't want to have the front black and then the inside of the drum silver.

----------

Very nice work and CHEAP too! I want to do the grille on my black diamond coupe, but being that it's a lease and I only have about 9 months left with it makes it kind of pointless.

Thank You! The cool thing about this stuff is it peels off in seconds...literally, and it's durable. You can preasure wash it and it won't flake, scratch or tear but you can take a tooth pick, cut a seam in it and pull it all off in one piece. Might be worth a couple hours of your time to enjoy it for the next 9 months?

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-12, 01:47 AM
I dunno - the black wheels look out of place on almost all the V cars except a few (has nothing to do with your plasti-dip job, which looks pretty nice). I think it would help a lot of various trim pieces on the car matched the wheels, I'm just not sure what. Something needs to tie the wheels in to everything else so they don't look like an afterthought. Just my opinion...

I hope black wheels don't look out of place on my car:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/cadillac3.jpg

brlong23
04-25-12, 01:47 AM

No worries...your opinion is your opinion.

I was skeptical at first but I think the black wheels with my tint against the red looks pretty good. The chrome and calipers balance eachother out as well IMO but I'm also thinking of doing the chrome as well in black to see how that might look. If I don't like it, I can just peel it off. Thanks for the comment though.

Again, if you want to see some video of the process and the finished product on all 4 wheels, search my name on youtube...brlong23

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-12, 01:51 AM
Thank You! The cool thing about this stuff is it peels off in seconds...literally, and it's durable. You can preasure wash it and it won't flake, scratch or tear but you can take a tooth pick, cut a seam in it and pull it all off in one piece. Might be worth a couple hours of your time to enjoy it for the next 9 months?

Honestly, I have 3 small kids, so the lack of time for me is what makes it not possible. Also, being lazy doesn't really help matters. If I bought the car, I would probably have one of you forum guys do it for me. I just don't have patience anymore. I used to be the most patient man in the world until my kids were born. I have a 7 year old, a 20 month old and an 8 month old. Life sure is tough for me right now!

SoCalCTSV
04-25-12, 08:39 AM
I hope black wheels don't look out of place on my car:

http://i541.photobucket.com/albums/gg388/DRVTWIN/cadillac3.jpg

Is this how you normally park your Caddys or were they staged for a photo op? J/K!

I spend neary 2 hours a day commuting in addition to my 10-12 hour work day. But I only have one kid in HS left. I know what you mean about the time and motivation. I have a carb in pieces in my Chevelle I started months ago and haven't had time to do anything about it. I'm realizing at this stage of my life, it is faster and cheaper to pay someone to do these things.

buddyg
04-25-12, 02:58 PM
I think it looks great! Much better than the chrome.

elphil
04-25-12, 03:53 PM
Today you will see OEM grey/black wheels on all of the high priced super and exotic cars.

brlong23, your a braver man then me.

Mikes2009V
04-25-12, 06:25 PM

I have to agree, certain cars can definately pull it off, others not so much. Not being a hater or dissing your car or your plastic-dip skills, it just does nothing for me. Reminds me of a car driving down the road with black steel wheels because all the hubcaps fell off and people are too cheap to replace them. I guess if you went around the car and blacked out all of the chrome trim, it might help some. Just my opinion but I would rip that stuff back off just as fast as you put it on.

cts-v-ette
04-25-12, 06:50 PM
I have the same color car and love the chrome, but seeing your pictures it changes the appearance drastically. On the fence.

Teutonaddict
04-25-12, 07:28 PM
Puh-tay-toe, puh-tah-toe, tuh-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe. Whichever flips your switch!

I love the fact that for less than $30, I now have a viable option to change the look of my wheels. I've kept curb rash at bay for 2.5 years, but never say never!!

Nice work, OP. Thanks for sharing.

brlong23
04-25-12, 09:47 PM
Puh-tay-toe, puh-tah-toe, tuh-may-toe, tuh-mah-toe. Whichever flips your switch!

I love the fact that for less than $30, I now have a viable option to change the look of my wheels. I've kept curb rash at bay for 2.5 years, but never say never!!

Nice work, OP. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome!

Darnell
04-26-12, 01:44 AM
I didn't think you needed to sand before using Plasti Dip.

brlong23
04-26-12, 01:46 AM
I didn't think you needed to sand before using Plasti Dip.

I did on the spot where my wife curbed the wheel...lol

Smoothed it out and you can't even tell with the black finish!

BWhite58
04-26-12, 06:41 PM
You need to plastic dip all the chrome for the complete look .