: Ready order new V Sedan or Wagon - Need help deciding!

ta84k
04-24-12, 12:53 PM
I'm ready to order a new sedan or wagon but am having a tough time deciding on the pros/cons of each. I need some help with the decision. I've been planning/saving for years so I will tend to overanalyze this decision. Due to the rarity of the V, I've never been able to see both up close at my local dealers so it makes comparison pretty hard. I am planning to order it with a manual and no roof. Probably either black or thunder gray.

1.) Stereo sound of coupe vs. wagon. I'm really into audio and am wondering if the speaker/sub placement affects the sound quality of either.

2.) Performance. I believe the wagon is 200 pounds heavier. Being a performance guy, can you really feel that difference in performance or handling? I don't know of a review that tested both at the same time and track.

3.) Rear headroom / rear seat. Any notable differences? I have clients that need to ride in it. I also have twin 2 year old girls. It might get some care seat action too!

4.) Sound. I'm assuming the exhaust is different?

5.) Anything else to consider?

6.) Two-tone seats. The dealer did have a V coupe with the black/tan recaro seats. I thought they were pretty cool but didn't see them in the cadillac website. Do the normal recaros have that same suede?

Thanks for any advice. The dealer can't answer any of these questions to my satisfaction.

smackdownCTSV
04-24-12, 12:54 PM
Sedan all day long. Wagon is butt.

allinmyhead
04-24-12, 01:13 PM
Confused; topic says sedan vs wagon, but text mentions coupe vs wagon?

I went back and forth on sedan vs wagon, because the dealer I was working with had both with the same options, and the same color. My thoughts below.

1. Performance: Yes, I could feel the difference in weight in stop and go puttering around. Once I hit the gas I couldn't feel any difference.

2. Sound: The wagon felt a lot louder inside going down the freeway. More road noise?

3. Space: Because of the slope, I couldn't discern any real benefit from the hatch. The fold down seat was a plus though. Headroom appeared identical.

4. Looks: I loved the 3/4 and side view, but the dead-on rear just seemed a bit unresolved. Probably because the rear fascia is the same as the regular cts wagon?

I've always liked "estates" but never had the courage to purchase one when they were available, and this time I pussed out again. Went with the safe sedan. Had the rear end looked a little better to my eyes, or if I was buying it in black or gray (I wanted red) I would've gone with a wagon for the coolness factor alone. In red, the red tail lights look a little strange to me, whereas on black or gray the tail lights contrast beautifully and offset the lack of cts-v specific tail treatment.

FLTRI
04-24-12, 01:55 PM
Wagon all day long. Sedan is butt.

Xaqtly
04-24-12, 01:56 PM
Psh, wagon all the way. Ask any automative journalist, read or watch any review of the CTS-V wagon and they all say the same thing - it's the perfect car. It's functional, it's useful, it can haul stuff, and at the same time it's the same CTS-V as the coupe and the sedan. Or to paraphrase Rutledge Wood from Top Gear US, the CTS-V wagon is a car in which you can go get the groceries, and then do a burnout all the way home, kids screaming in the back seat.

There is nothing more awesome than a 556 HP super wagon. I just got a ton of groceries yesterday, folded one of the seats down to load some cases of soda, put up the handy adjustable divider in the floor of the back to separate soft stuff from hard stuff, and humiliated a Mustang on my way back home. I also have a dog, so having fold-flat rear seats and 60 cu. ft. of rear space is really nice for taking him on trips.

If you really need to decide between sedan or wagon based on things like subwoofer placement, just go to your local Caddy dealer and look at normal CTS wagons and sedans if they don't have the V versions on the lot. They're basically the same thing in terms of the small stuff. And also, it should be noted that the wagon was actually faster than the coupe on Top Gear US's test track, so the performance differences between the sedan and the wagon are going to be negligible at best.

And in all seriousness, base your decision on whether you want the wagon's extra space and features or not first, and looks second. The wagon has adjustable tiedowns on rails built into the floor in the back, as well as that handy divider and the fold flat rear seats and there is a lot of room back there. If you don't need that there's no reason to get the wagon over the sedan unless you like the way it looks. I wanted the space (and I like the idea of a fast wagon) so that's what I got.

elphil
04-24-12, 02:09 PM
The fun part of owning a V-Wagon for me is it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. The image of a station wagon in the U.S. is a mundane, dull, utilitarian mode of transportation. The V-Wagon is the polar opposite of that description. For 18 months I drove a standard CTS wagon in Crystal Red and it turned heads everywhere I drove. Ordered my V-Wagon is battleship grey with the graphite wheels and hardly anyone notices it. That anonymity is what I was looking for. Which ever you end up getting you'll be happy.

FLTRI
04-24-12, 02:23 PM
Okay, seriously...

1. I'm not an audiophile, but I think the stereo sounds great. That being said, there are many folks here who complain about it, and go to great lengths to improve/replace it.

2. Take it for what it's worth, but on Top Gear USA the "Stig" did a faster lap time in a Wagon than the Coupe. Supposedly, the wagon has a lower coefficient of drag too.

3. Don't know, not something I checked nor care about (no kids nor clients). I fit okay in the back seat at 6'2" but wouldn't want to be pinned back there for more that an hour.

4. Don't know, but I'll bet there is very little difference, if any.

5. You get a power hatch with the Wagon, kinda cool. And it's a 556 HP Station Wagon! How ridiculously cool is that ?!?

6. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't care for them, but it's not my car so it doesn't mater what I think. If you dig 'em, get 'em. Yes, the Recaros have the fake suede inserts, it's the tan part for that color seat. I don't think the standard non-Recaro seats are available two-tone, but I'm not sure about that one.

----------

Psh, wagon all the way. Ask any automative journalist, read or watch any review of the CTS-V wagon and they all say the same thing - it's the perfect car. \

My favorite Wagon review: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703555804576102202985268590.html?K EYWORDS=rumble+seatKEYWORDS%3Drumble+seat

silversled
04-24-12, 02:37 PM
I was in a similar dilema 6 months ago. Mine was between the Sedan and Wagon. I went with the Vagon.

1) Stereo: Don't expect audiophile quality from the Bose system. I know the CUE system is coming out but this generation of infotainment system is far behind its competitors. The voice command feature sucks (when is Siri going to be installed in a car?). If you want a good stereo, get a Porsche Panemera with the Burmeister option. Short of that, I thought the Wagon had better imaging. (I'm a two channel guy myself)

2) Performance: Coming from a line of Porsche 911 and recently Cayman S, all V-Series cars feel cumbersome and heavy around corners. However, I thought the Sedan and Wagon were almost identical in all practical senses. The Wagon felt a little less front heavy but maybe because it is back heavy and more balanced. The only thing I noticed was when pulling from a stop light gently, the Wagon felt marginally more lethargic coming off idle (note the qualifier "marginally"). After several months of spirited drivng, I am pleased with the wagon and it's balance. It is no Porsche mid-corner but it is far from an embarrasment . I am signed up for the Cadillac High Performance Driving School at Montecello next month. I'll see how this rig really plays on the track.

3) Headroom: I felt the Sedan had more headroom but this was subjective. The rear seats in the Wagon feels a little low and closed in than the Sedan.

4) Sound: No comment. I installed a Corsa Touring Axle-back immediately. It is much better now. I've observed a universal occurance when you pull up next to another car; guy in car, window rolls down; woman in car, windows roll up. :)

5) Exclusivitiy: The Vagon wins here. There are numerous sedans and coupes driving around my area but I never see another wagon. It is a conversation piece. Many people know what a V is but never knew they made a Wagon. In the age of SUV's, deep down there are many people that fundamentally understands the appeal of a wagon. Those people come out of the woodwork when they see a "Vagon".

6) Cargo Space: The utility of the wagon is appealing to me. I am able to haul several 2x4's in a pinch or other simialr item. etc. etc. Nothing says you are ready for ANYTHING more than a V-series Wagon.

In the short time that I've had the Vagon, it is quicky becoming one of the best rounded car I have ever owned. I give GM a lot of kudos for building this car.

My vote is wagon, but that's me :bonkers:

YGBSM
04-24-12, 03:34 PM
6.) Two-tone seats. The dealer did have a V coupe with the black/tan recaro seats. I thought they were pretty cool but didn't see them in the cadillac website. Do the normal recaros have that same suede?

The sedan and wagon unfortunately do not have the black/saffron Recaro option. Recaro colors on sedan/wagon are black or off white.

baabootoo
04-24-12, 08:33 PM
If tyhey had the wagon when I got my sedan, i would have gotten the wagon.

Moneypenny
04-24-12, 09:18 PM
Once you go wagon, you never go back'n.

TriTexan
04-25-12, 01:21 AM
Just bought a wagon - waiting on it to arrive in a few days.

1) I didn't have a chance to check out the stereo in the wagon, but the Bose system in the sedan sounded pretty good. Unless you're really touchy about this, most people have posted you should be pretty happy with the base unit.
2) Performance: First, nixing the roof saves a bunch of glass way up high above the center of gravity. And since the added weight in the wagon is aft, it actually improves the front/rear balance a bit - making it 52/48 which is pretty much ideal, and probably explains the Stig's faster lap times.
3) Rear seat space isn't great in either the sedan or wagon. If you need a generous back seat to make clients comfy, this isn't your ride. But most average sized folks should fit just fine. No difference between sedan and wagon here.
4) Exhaust/Sound - I don't think these are different. The cars have nearly identical lengths - within a few tenths of an inch, so I can't see the exhaust needing to be radically different. Any sound diff inside is due to the shape of the inside and the various acoustical variations that occur as a result. Maybe someone knows more details about the exhaust mechanicals...
5) Two-tone seats all look a bit pimp-ish to me, except on the Black Diamond couple. But everything else not so much. I got the light grey, which still has dark carpet, dark trim, and the black dash. If you want a two-tone look, this one is nice IMO. Recaro seats are a must IMO. The stock seats are rubbish.

Ultimately for me, the wagon was really functional. Compared to my old 300C SRT8, the sedan's trunk was tiny and not much good for anything but a few shopping bags. I'm a cyclist and triathlete and my entire bike fits into the back of the wagon (with seats down) without any disassembly. The functional space of the wagon rocks. Yes, you might give up a TINY bit in performance, but if you are sweating it that closely, you should be looking at a different car to start with. Or you should be getting the Hammer Wagon from Hennessey here in Houston and be done with all of it!

Plus, I think the wagon works nicely as either a stealth/sleeper in the grey or as a flashy model in the blue. The red is nice but to me isn't well suited to the wagon, but looks fine on the sedan.

But whatever route you choose, a V-car is probably going to do you right.

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-12, 01:40 AM
I had two V Sedans and thought it was just way too bland looking and looked too much like a regular CTS. When I saw the V Coupe, I was like, HELL YES! Now, that's an amazing looking car. I would take the Wagon over the Sedan if I had to choose only because it looks so much better and it is way more rare than all bodystyles. I love the black diamond wagon. That car looks simply amazing! I love my black diamond V Coupe more than any other car I have ever had. I never get tired of it. It just looks mean!

ta84k
04-25-12, 09:18 AM
Thanks to everyone for their great feedback. I am going to get the V Wagon...it really does fit my lifestyle best.

Thunder Gray
Black Interior w/ Recaro
No sunroof
6-Speed Manual
Suede steering wheel/shift
Polished wheels

Now I just noticed that you can't order a 2012 any longer. I'm guessing I'l have to wait for the 2013 to get this optioned as above. Oh well...I've been planning on getting one for a few years, what's a few more months :)

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-25-12, 10:34 AM
Thanks to everyone for their great feedback. I am going to get the V Wagon...it really does fit my lifestyle best.

Thunder Gray
Black Interior w/ Recaro
No sunroof
6-Speed Manual
Suede steering wheel/shift
Polished wheels

Now I just noticed that you can't order a 2012 any longer. I'm guessing I'l have to wait for the 2013 to get this optioned as above. Oh well...I've been planning on getting one for a few years, what's a few more months :)

Congratulations on this exciting decision, ta84k!
I checked into the production information I have available, and the most recent date I have for when they will stop production on the 2012 CTS-V Wagon is early June; if you wanted to check with your dealer, I believe this means you should still be able to order a 2012. If you're content to wait for the 2013, that works as well!

All the best,
Sarah
GM Customer Service

jwbhole
10-31-12, 04:03 AM
Great thread. I am down to to fewer choices. Definitely ordering the v wagon. Selling my mint 2000 e39 M5 Le Mans blue with full leather and 70k rain and snow free miles and my 2002 e320 4matic wagon. I get an extra 2000 off the Cadillac Price by just showing the BMW or MB registration. So here is where I need advice, please: I'd like the sunroof, but who knows what weight it adds? I am saving 100lbs because I am getting the manual. Second question, I am thinking of getting opulent blue which is close to Le Mans blue PE a mix of that and Monte Carlo blue or the grey or diamond black. Leaning to the blue frankly. Always wanted an m5 wagon or RS6 Avant, now caddy make this car. All comments and advice welcome. I've not seen this car in opulent blue

neuronbob
10-31-12, 07:00 AM
^^^^^*
I'm ordering an OB 6MT wagon this week. Maybe ours will be bros on the assembly line. There are some great pics of the wagon in OB on the forum, which is what turned me on to the color. It's also a rare color as most people want black or white.

Good luck!

dcc8203
10-31-12, 09:18 AM
I ordered my Vagon without the sunroof and have never regretted it.

Regardless of the weight, headroon and center of gravity benefits, there are multiple threads on this board about leaks.

To me, the ability to open the roof one or two days a year, for a few minutes at a time does not make up for the multiple downsides. No brainer.

I bet you can't find on on a dealer lot WITHOUT a sunroof, so ordering is likely the only way to get one. I imagine that I own one of a literal handful of 2012 wagons with the 6MT and no sunroof.

jsherid1
10-31-12, 10:34 AM
I ordered my Thunder Gray 6MT V-wagon without the sunroof for the weight, headroom (my wife is 5'9" and will be in the back with our 4-year old daughter) and CG benefits. The only option I did order is the midnight sapele wood trim, went with standard wheels to maximize the sleeper effect. It is being built the week of 11/12, I have never been so eager for a car to arrive in my life.

dennych
10-31-12, 12:31 PM
I ordered my Vagon without the sunroof and have never regretted it.

Regardless of the weight, headroon and center of gravity benefits, there are multiple threads on this board about leaks.

To me, the ability to open the roof one or two days a year, for a few minutes at a time does not make up for the multiple downsides. No brainer.

I bet you can't find on on a dealer lot WITHOUT a sunroof, so ordering is likely the only way to get one. I imagine that I own one of a literal handful of 2012 wagons with the 6MT and no sunroof.

Yeah, one of the hardest parts about buying used was finding one without a sunroof. I just gave up. I sure as hell hope I don't run into those problems

Karch
10-31-12, 01:06 PM
Great thread. I am down to to fewer choices. Definitely ordering the v wagon. Selling my mint 2000 e39 M5 Le Mans blue with full leather and 70k rain and snow free miles and my 2002 e320 4matic wagon. I get an extra 2000 off the Cadillac Price by just showing the BMW or MB registration. So here is where I need advice, please: I'd like the sunroof, but who knows what weight it adds? I am saving 100lbs because I am getting the manual. Second question, I am thinking of getting opulent blue which is close to Le Mans blue PE a mix of that and Monte Carlo blue or the grey or diamond black. Leaning to the blue frankly. Always wanted an m5 wagon or RS6 Avant, now caddy make this car. All comments and advice welcome. I've not seen this car in opulent blue

Unless you like a sunroof, order without it, IMO.

You obviously have great tastes. Your E39 is my favorite BMW, and the Le Mans blue would have been my choice as well.

JFJr
11-01-12, 05:23 PM
Even when the sunroof and shade are closed, some extra light comes in to brighten a dark interior. I haven't had any trouble with mine (67,000 miles). I did order my car w/o the sunroof, but it came with it and I didn't want to wait any longer.

Jud

Cadillac Cust Svc
11-03-12, 10:57 AM
Jwbhole, I hope you've found the feedback helpful so far! I'm reachable via email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you would like me to investigate further for you at any point. For sunroof weight details, I would definitely recommend consulting with a dealership but I'm also happy to check my technical resources to see what information I can find on the subject!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

jwbhole
03-27-13, 01:12 AM
Cadillac Customer Service: thanks for your note. You should be able to tell the forum the weight difference with and without the sunroof. Thanks and I await your reply. Kind regards,