: How long to order and get a new CTS-V Wagon?

TriTexan
04-23-12, 04:19 PM
I'm looking to get a new CTS-V wagon. I hear there's a special 0.9% financing rate available, but I'd also like a new wagon right off the assembly line...I really don't want a car that's been test driven and probably put through it's paces before I got it. Plus, dealers just don't have the wagons in stock.

I'm wondering who has ordered a new 2012 wagon and how long did it take to arrive? In case it matters, here's what I am looking for:

Thunder Gray
Titanium interior with Sapele wood and sueded steering wheel/shifter
Recaro seats
Painted wheels (which shouldn't affect lead time, but my dealer didn't even have ANY painted wheels I could look at)
no sunroof (I live in Houston - it's REALLY hot and I never use the roof...plus, I don't like that you can't fully block off the sun, just that shade thing)
Automatic (yeah, I know manual v. auto is a religious debate...but I'm an automatic guy)

Any info on how your order process went, gotchas to watch out for, time to deliver, the actually delivery/dealer prep process, or other helpful advice would be appreciated. Anyone who knows about the 0.9% financing offer - my dealer says they need a VIN before they can lock that in. If we have to order the car, how soon can I get my VIN and lock in the rate before it expires?

elphil
04-23-12, 04:40 PM
In the past it's been 6 to 8 weeks order to delivery. The only thing I know to look out for is not allowing the dealer to do the add-on items such as tinting the windows or expensive "paint protection", those type of things. By painted wheels do you mean the standard silver finish or the Satin Graphite (black) finish option?

GM-4-LIFE
04-23-12, 04:55 PM
You can't order a 2012 right now. You can only order a 2013.

TriTexan
04-23-12, 05:00 PM
There are three wheel options - polished (looks like chrome but is just highly polished aluminum), graphite (nearly black), and painted, which are silver in color and these are the "standard" finish. I just don't see the polished wheels being worth the extra $$$. Beyond that, my local dealership's window sticker says the polished wheels are a $995 upgrade or something, but the Caddy BYO website says only $800. What's the scoop with that? Either way I'm not "feeling" the extra grand for the shiny wheels, and I don't think they'll look any better with the Thunder Gray paint anyway.

----------

2013? Really? And it's only April. I mean, are they any different than the 2012? Clue me in here - why a 2013 model so early in the year?

GM-4-LIFE
04-23-12, 05:20 PM
It's the way GM does it. They closed out 2012 ordering already and 2013 ordering is only available. Last month of production of the 2012s is June with a shutdown and re-tool of the factory for two weeks and then they start producing 2013s in July along with the new ATS.

Moneypenny
04-23-12, 05:59 PM
FWIW, I ordered my wagon on March 6th and it arrived on April 18th.

DrVolkl
04-23-12, 06:15 PM
Yeah, mine came really quick... I can't remember how long, but it was probably around 6 weeks.

FLTRI
04-23-12, 08:47 PM
Have your dealer do a nationwide search for the wagon set up the way you want it, wheels can always be swapped for something on the floor. I got my 2011 in September with everything I wanted on it, in the color I was looking for. My dealer found it in Boston, and I got 0% for 60 months. There's just not that may option combinations, so the odds are good your car has already been built. As far as "Brand New" as long as the miles are under 20, it's not that big of a deal, to me anyway...

Chrispy
04-23-12, 09:56 PM
I ordered mine in early April and build week is May 7th. 6-8 weeks is typical. I'm hoping to have mine the week of the 14th.

TXAG2004
04-23-12, 10:53 PM
I ordered my vagon Mar 23rd. Expected build date week of Apr 30. Still no vin according to dealer. I ordered from Sewell in W Houston. I told them what I'd pay. Took a few visits but they eventually agreed. I wasnt pleased with their sales people but I hear their service is good.

peso611
04-24-12, 12:54 PM
I ordered mine in August 12 and took delivery in mid October 12. My delay was the black diamond paint and i had to wait for my dealer to be able to submit the order.

Pphilthy
04-24-12, 02:25 PM
I placed my order on March 28th, and today the status was updated to 3000 - I'm guessing I should have a targeted production date within the next week... I believe I just made the cut off for 2012...

flatrockguy
04-24-12, 10:10 PM
I orderd mine on March 19th and is was built this past Friday and should have it this Friday. I only live 1.5 hours from the plant in Lansing.

TriTexan
04-25-12, 12:52 AM
Well, it turns out my dealer found the exact car I want - just had to fork over a bit extra to have it shipped to Houston from a dealer in New Mexico. But as CTS-V-TWIN noted, I'm at or past the build cutoff, so I really had no chance to order one. And my dealer was cool enough to let me take home a new V sedan overnight to check everything out and make sure me and the wife were happy with it. Yes, it's not a wagon, but they didn't have a V wagon to try out. But the engine, suspension, tranny and interior up front are pretty much identical, so it gave us a really good feel for things.

There aren't too many wagons out there to start with, and even fewer with the light grey interior that the wife likes. I've got a car with a similar interior now - black and tan two-tone theme, so I think I'm going to like the lighter color, especially in Houston where it's roasting hot all summer (and sometimes in winter, too!). The wife has a light grey leather on her Acura MDX and we've never had problems with clothing dyes or other transfers happening. Assuming the leather on the caddy is as nice, I don't expect problems. Yes, I'll have to clean it more, but that's cool - it should be kept clean anyway. My black leather I'm driving now it probably filthy but I just don't know it...

I guess the good news is that even though I paid a bit more, the car is on it's way and I got in on the 0.9% financing for 36 mos. so that will help out. Thanks for the feedback...I guess now it's off to the other threads to get up to speed on the new ride coming next week!

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-12, 01:34 AM
I orderd mine on March 19th and is was built this past Friday and should have it this Friday. I only live 1.5 hours from the plant in Lansing.

Man, you must be dying right now with excitement! If I lived that close to the plant, I would have done whatever I could to watch my car get built. Looks like James came through getting your car built right at the 2012 order cutoff.

TriTexan,

You must be dealing with a really great dealer. Most dealers won't let anyone touch a V, unless they are dead serious on buying and most won't get a V trucked to their dealership. They will usually say that they have to order one or find a dealer willing to do a dealer trade, etc. Looks like Texas has some great people! I gotta visit one day.

TriTexan
04-25-12, 01:57 AM
Man, you must be dying right now with excitement! If I lived that close to the plant, I would have done whatever I could to watch my car get built. Looks like James came through getting your car built right at the 2012 order cutoff.

TriTexan,

You must be dealing with a really great dealer. Most dealers won't let anyone touch a V, unless they are dead serious on buying and most won't get a V trucked to their dealership. They will usually say that they have to order one or find a dealer willing to do a dealer trade, etc. Looks like Texas has some great people! I gotta visit one day.

Well, I think my dealer DID have to do a trade for an SRX or something. But they kept me out of those details - although I will reiterate that I effectively paid the overhead of the transport - something like an extra $800, but well worth it for the excellent treatment they gave me and for finding the car I wanted. My advice on getting an overnight test drive with a V is simply fill out a credit application so the dealer knows you are a viable and serious buyer. My credit score is beyond excellent and I simply asked outright if I could take it home overnight to show the wife. I even told them there was NO WAY I was buying a sedan, so loaning me the sedan wasn't going to result in my taking THAT exact car from their inventory, but it would be enough to make a buying decision on a wagon (which they didn't have in stock). Best way to learn about a new car is to spend the evening with the car and the manual - you'll know EXACTLY what you like and don't like if you go thru the manual cover-to-cover. I was up front with them and they really impressed the wife with their willingness to extend us the courtesy of an overnight loaner.

My local dealer is Tom Peacock Cadillac and they had quite a few V's - 5 or 6 sedans in white, black raven, blk diamond, red, and thunder grey. Several coupes, too. All V's. So letting me have one overnight wasn't a big deal I don't think. We took it out to eat Friday night and a little shopping Saturday AM before returning it. Only put a few dozen miles on it, but it gave a chance to "live" with it and that was enough to sell the car.

GM-4-LIFE
04-25-12, 02:02 AM
Still, most dealers won't let a car out like that overnight for sheer liability reasons. It's their car or rather GM's car until it is sold to the end user. That was really nice of them to let you do that. Looks like they are out to make people like you customers for life!

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-26-12, 10:38 AM
Great thread, everyone. I loved seeing all the feedback and am excited for all you new owners!

TriTexan, your dealer sounds wonderful, and I'm happy to see you were able to locate the V you wanted. Please feel free to contact me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com if you ever have questions regarding your new vehicle.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service