: Starting the car; am I the only one who didn't know...

SevillianSTS
04-22-12, 11:14 PM
I recently changed my fuel filter.

So... starting the car for the first time afterwards: I turned the key for the usual amount of time and naturally let go...

Car kept cranking after I let go...

(Obviously took a little longer to get the air out of the fuel line.)

I did not know our cars had this "auto-start" feature. Kinda neat... now I just "touch" crank and let go.

am I the only one who didn't know about this ? have owned it for a year and a half now, LOL

DDS rollin a CTS
04-22-12, 11:46 PM
I knew my old 03 CTS had this, but I hadn't noticed if the V was that way or not. I noticed it when I had an evap canister problem and whenever I started after filling up it would take a few attempts before the car would fire. Felt kind of weird to let go of the key and listen to the engine keep cranking for a few seconds. If the engine doesn't fire I don't think it cranked for more than 3 or 5 seconds or so.

Faber
04-23-12, 09:32 AM
I did not know that...

wcryan
04-23-12, 10:05 AM
I didnt know for a while. And I still sometimes dont let go, even now that I know

It just feels weird

sx54dx
04-23-12, 10:06 AM
I had an '05 3.6 CTS and it had the "auto-crank" feature which I became used to using.
I sold the 3.6 for an '05 V and my V does not have this feature.
It took me a while to get used to not having it.
I wonder if it is an option?

ctsv154
04-23-12, 10:11 AM
Mine has it but it's like you have to hold for a few seconds for it to work. Then if doesn't start it holds it there a few seconds more.

kciaccio
04-23-12, 10:33 AM
Hope I never have to bump the engine during a repair job. lol

D3l7a3ch0
04-25-12, 03:51 AM
there have been two occasions when I release the clutch and key at the last moment, because there was a reason to not start the car yet... and then when I depressed the clutch again to start, the engine turned over on its own.

this thread is a huge relief for me, because I thought there was something wrong with my starter solenoid or ignition switch, and a resistance problem that was overheating things/causing a very convenient spontaneous start.

I probably never would have asked.