: How do you clean 22 inch OEM chrome wheels?

briangeidl
04-22-12, 10:48 AM
What can you use to clean 22 inch OEM wheels? Are these clear coated, chrome, or what? I've read if you use the wrong cleaner/polish on your wheels it can ruin them. Thanks.

PeteKT
04-22-12, 12:05 PM
im wondering the same, mine have dirt on the sides that isnt comming off.

K9Caddy
04-22-12, 12:29 PM
They just have a chrome finish, no coatings. You can use NeverDull or any chrome polish.

roadog1aj
04-22-12, 12:49 PM
I use Mother's Chrome & Aluminum polish. Then a good coating of Mother's Brazilian Carnauba wax. Everyone has their favorite wax, but I love how easy this wax goes on and REALLY love how easy it comes off! Lasts a good long time too.

MrHolland
04-22-12, 08:26 PM
I wash my car often and it spends a lot of time in the garage. I wipe my rims down with a micro fiber cloth lightly misted with aerosol foam glass cleaner, very lightly misted. They look like mirrors

AWallerJr
04-22-12, 09:40 PM
Mrholland let me welcome you to 2012... Lol. With all due respect sir most not all but most glass cleaner has ammonia in it. A no no on your Chrome plated rims. I would suggest a good cleaner wax. The Brand doesn't matter for wheels if you ask me because dirt begins to collect as soon as you start driving anyway. Just be sure to take the time to clean all the wax off when your done if you really want to get that mirror like finish.

MrHolland
04-22-12, 11:57 PM
Thank you for the welcome Mr Awallerjr. You are absolutely correct about ammonia and chrome. No worries though, my product of choice does not contain ammonia. I do use wax also and most of the time a microfiber cloth is all that is needed to wipe down my rims. The ingredients in glass cleaner is good info to pass on to others, I should've been more specific in my wording. Good catch!!

hcvone
04-23-12, 07:10 AM
Many of the better glass cleaners do not have ammonia anymore like Invisible Glass, anything that is safe on aftermarket tint does not have ammonia either. As said a good chrome polish once or twice a year, and just wash with car wash and finish with detail spray. With really good chrome plating, not like our stock wheels come with, you can use ammonia based glass cleaners, that what the chrome platter of our wheels tells us, we tell our customers to use only car wash and Bad Dog chrome polish, because it's the best we have ever used. :)

corvette00
04-23-12, 07:53 AM
I use a product called "wheel wax" a couple times a year, and a little Zaino detailer when needed

hcvone
04-23-12, 09:09 AM
I use a product called "wheel wax" a couple times a year, and a little Zaino detailer when needed

I am sure you would find if you use Z-2 or Z-5 on your wheels it will last even longer than wheel wax, that was an independent finding in an auto mag a year or two ago, but as long as you are putting protection on that is a good thing. :)

bruin300
05-01-12, 06:58 PM
Very Carefully...I couldn't resist.

torr714
05-02-12, 08:31 AM
Was at the dealer for some work and they washed the truck for me the rims never shine like that before. I asked what the used was told a acid tried to find out more they wouldn't says more. Did anyone ever heard of this or where they just messing with me

bruin300
05-02-12, 08:59 AM
My car wash guy also told me he uses acid on my wheels. I will ask him what kind on Saturday when he comes to wash my truck. I will post as soon as I know.

MrHolland
05-02-12, 09:14 AM
Most any detail shop has this stuff, truck stops also sell it because of the amount of chrome on big trucks. Can be risky to use if you're not familiar with it.

sparsons79
05-07-12, 09:53 AM
I use Blue Magic abour 4 times a year and it works great.

amunderdog
05-07-12, 10:18 AM
Acid is bad for most rims.
It eats the clear coat off (or something like that) then your rims begin to degrade.
But yes it does clean them effortlessly