: New V :D Whine/whistle question

goofygrin
04-21-12, 09:18 PM
Picked up a 2012 Sedan (black, stick, Recaros, sunroof, yellow calipers, black wheels). It's like my E39 M5, but tighter (lower miles helps I'm sure)... needs a thicker steering wheel though. Lease deals right now are veeeery attractive. To anyone needing a car, please contact James Quinn. He's easily the most honest person at a car dealership that I've ever worked with. Unfortunately he didn't have a car for me, but he worked with me to understand the numbers I was given to help me get a good deal :). Sewell in Dallas was pretty good to work with as well... just keep on them to get you a fair deal :D

I don't remember on the test drives (2 years ago... ya we made some purchase mistakes and finally are buying the car we should have :D).... but I sense more whine than I remember. Even just cruising @ 70mph (~2krpm) I hear quite a bit of whine with the windows all closed. It actually is somewhat fatiguing. When I was slowing down for my exit on the freeway, the pitch changed and @ WOT I don't hear it (but it could be for other reasons :lildevil:). Clutching in and coasting does not change the pitch on the road.

Is that normal?

Obligatory picture:
http://i.imgur.com/cImp8.jpg

commander112
04-22-12, 08:31 AM
I have had two V2's no whine on either unless on the throttle.

Mikes2009V
04-22-12, 08:58 AM
I would have it checked out. Only thing that should give you any type of whine would be the supercharger and without a CAI installed you will only hear that at higher rpm under load. Maybe have them double check all of the fluid levels, especially in the diff. It's not unheard of for a brand new car to be improperly filled.

----------

One other thought... Maybe check the back seat, there's always that possibilty that someone took the car out for a test drive before you and left their kid in the back seat. I know whenever my kids are in the car, the whining never stops...lol

goofygrin
04-22-12, 09:12 AM
Lol no kids in the back seat. My son is very sad that he's not gotten a ride yet. I guess I'll take it in this week and see if another makes the same noise and/or see what the sa has to say. Man I hope it's not diff whine :/

LFTW8S
04-22-12, 11:52 AM
Both my V's had/have the same whine. As long as the RPMs are around 2k-ish, I get the whine. I assume it is from the SC. Only time it bothers me in on the highway when I cruise around 80 to 85. The whine is constant unless I speed up or slow down.

Smokin_Cache
04-22-12, 12:04 PM
Hmm! Only whine I get is when I put my foot in it, or the tire whine on concrete freeways. On exit ramps that have new conrete where they got a little aggressive with the traction groves it will sound like a jet landing. Oh I forgot about the extra whine from my wife when I put my foot in it or get a little spirited in a turn.

goofygrin
04-22-12, 12:15 PM
More driving today. The sound is like a string trimmer or weed whacker... And it is dependent on speed but not rpm. I'm leaning toward a diff issue. Sigh. even my 6 year old commented on how the pitch went up as speed went up.

commander112
04-22-12, 12:57 PM
As for the diff, some cars appear to be leaving the factory less than full on fluid. Take it in and have them load it up.

goofygrin
04-22-12, 01:39 PM
Ya, it needs tinted bad (including the sunroof). I'll have them look at the diff fluid then too.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-23-12, 11:38 AM
I'm very sorry to hear that, goofygrin! Please keep us updated on how your dealership trip goes, and I'm happy to assist if you have lingering questions after your visit. (Feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!)

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

goofygrin
04-23-12, 11:39 AM
Thanks Katie. It goes in in the morning. Not sure if I'm just more sensitive to it, but the sound is getting worse. Not sure I should have driven in today to work, but I'm not a fan of driving my 930 in traffic.

Trapspeed
04-23-12, 01:38 PM
I'm putting my money on the diff. Let us know.

DangFoo
04-23-12, 05:25 PM
I get a "whapping" noise just cruising down the road at light throttle; don't know if it's the same as what you
re describing, as it does migrate to more of a whine when I'm at 2K or so RPMs. Mine is probably the differential, as posted above or maybe the tires have begun cupping: look good to the naked eye.

Mike02z
04-23-12, 05:35 PM
Mine whines like crazy but only when I'm in boost. Mine is worse because I installed a CAI. I love the whine but you should not be hearing it unless you are in boost.

goofygrin
04-24-12, 05:44 PM
Differential (duh)... they're not quite sure what they're going to do yet, but I'm going to guess I get a new diff...

goofygrin
04-26-12, 12:21 PM
They called yesterday. They're swapping the diff. Maybe I'll have the car back tomorrow.