: CTS-V Coupe OEM tires no longer available at Tire Rack

Smokin_Cache
04-21-12, 02:49 PM
They must have finally sold the last single they had. (front I think) Are the PS2s a thing of the past or is tirerack giving up on them? I have only seen one report on the PSSs and it did not look good. Anyone have any insight. Going to need tires in a few months.

Hey if you order a set of Cont DWs they will give you a free NOOK cheese bite!! LOL

4DR_ZR1
04-21-12, 03:36 PM
Are the PS2s a thing of the past or is tirerack giving up on them?
Just went to Tire Rack. Looks like if you have $1820 (before $70 rebate) they'll send you a set.
PS2s (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+PS2&frontTire=54ZR9SPORTPS2&rearTire=835ZR9SPORTPS2&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2011&autoModel=CTS-V&autoModClar=Coupe)

Smokin_Cache
04-21-12, 04:58 PM
Those are the BMW OEM tire. There is supposed to be something different in the side wall makeup for the V

marktanner
04-21-12, 05:52 PM
Surprising, as they have carried the OEM tire forever, and the CTS-V is still in production using those tires. Even though Michelin engineered that version for our cars in conjunction with GM, they have been quite expensive, don't last all that long, and skip on cold pavement. By all reports that I've seen, the SuperSports are better by far, and will even be cheaper than the PS2, but are not available in our sizes yet. Even Consumer Reports top rated the SuperSport! I bought my Continental DWs a year ago, and have been pretty happy with them. They were top rated by Tire Rack at the time, even over the PS2, and still cost just over a grand for the set. The Bridgestone S-04 was available then, but were an unknown at the time. Current tests rank it above the Continental and PS2, but below the SuperSport. They cost $1218 for the set right now, which is 20% more than the Conti, but $600 (33%) less than the PS2, and it's currently the top rated tire available in our stock sizes. I'm not sure it's that much better than the Conti for the extra cost, and I definitely don't think the PS2 is worth the added cost, especially since the special OEM tire is no longer available. I do think the Super Sport will be worth the premium, if they ever release it in our sizes. Some people on the forum love the Hankook Ventus V-12, but they now cost just over a grand also(formerly $800 per set), and aren't ranked nearly as high by the Tire Rack as the others. Just my opinion, of course.

baabootoo
04-21-12, 06:32 PM
It looks like the only physical difference is the fact that they are NOT rated in excess of 186MPH; 100Y vs. (100Y). Maybe they knocked the speed limiter back on these cars so we could use a tire ONLY rated for 186. Some other fast cars have 300 KPH (186 MPH) as their max anyway. IF I were to but these, I wouldn't lose one second of sleep over any of them in the same size. I'll be going with the Super Sports in 275 up front next month.

GM-4-LIFE
04-21-12, 07:41 PM
Cheapest place I found the PS2 tires with the proper load rating for our cars (FRONT, 96Y and REAR 99Y) was www.discounttires.com. It was: $1681.75 shipped for FRONT and REAR tires. I couldn't find any place cheaper. They were cheaper than Tire Rack when Tire Rack listed them on their site. If anyone found them cheaper, please post a site or link.

Smokin_Cache
04-22-12, 12:16 AM
Great replies! Thanks

----------

OEM (96Y) (99Y) no longer showing on discount's site either. The BMWs use the 96Y 99Y combo

I knew I should have ordered those tires a month ago and just stored them until install.

Kluch
04-22-12, 01:10 AM
What is the difference between these tires with and without the parentheses? I have no clue. I'm gonna need tires soon and wanted to replace them with the OEM brand made for the car. I remember when tire rack had both sets listed and I never knew what the difference was, just that the set up there now was $100 more expensive than the OEM set.

Smokin_Cache
04-22-12, 07:32 AM
I will call the man this week and find out

Smokin_Cache
04-22-12, 12:08 PM
5/32s left on rear. Won't be long now. If PSSs are not ready I will probably go with the DWs. I have heard good things from many posts. Still going to call this week and get the scoop on the OEM PS2

GM-4-LIFE
04-22-12, 12:27 PM
Great replies! Thanks

----------

OEM (96Y) (99Y) no longer showing on discount's site either. The BMWs use the 96Y 99Y combo

I knew I should have ordered those tires a month ago and just stored them until install.

No difference in tire. As long as it has the 96Y for the fronts and 99Y for the rear designation, you are good. BMWs usually use a 100Y designation, so the listing is the right tires for the V, but they may just list BMW. Go by the 96Y and 99Y. I have purchased the tires by that rating as it doesn't matter what vehicle it says it's for. Some sites aren't correct for vehicle fitment, so that's why you go by the numbers in the parentheses.

Smokin_Cache
04-22-12, 12:38 PM
But there is a differance between 96Y-rated for 186MPH and (96Y)-Tested in excess of 186MPH also I think the sidewall OEM should be stamped TPC for the V and maybe BW or H or something for BMW. I will ask the specific diffs when I call.

LV_V
04-22-12, 02:23 PM
You guys are reading way too far into this. Just grab some PS2's in the same size and you're good to go (if you choose to stay with the overpriced PS2's, that is).

thebigjimsho
04-22-12, 08:25 PM
But there is a differance between 96Y-rated for 186MPH and (96Y)-Tested in excess of 186MPH also I think the sidewall OEM should be stamped TPC for the V and maybe BW or H or something for BMW. I will ask the specific diffs when I call.

Exactly. A Y rated tire is good to 186. A (Y) rated tire is 186+. Sounds weird but there's a definite difference...

Smokin_Cache
04-23-12, 04:23 PM
Just talked to the Michelin Man. There are ever so slight differences in the tires. The OEM tires P#08752 for front and P#46032 for rear are still in production. The fronts have limited availability the rear tires are on national backorder.

LV_V If I was driving the car everyday it would not matter to me. I am very comfortable with the traction control, suspension and stability system in the car. All those systems were designed around the OEM tire. I have no worries letting my wife drive in the rain on Houston roads. The cars stopping ability in the rain is amazing as is its ability to recover from a heavy footed slip out. The other tires may work just as well, but I know the ones that are on it do. I am comfortable with them and would prefer not change them if I don't have to. Maybe I am a little anal, but it is my piece of mind. If I did change tires and something bad happened after I would always question if the tires could have been a contributing factor. Only the best for my wife and right now I consider the OEM tire the best.

GM-4-LIFE
04-23-12, 04:51 PM
What is one to do if they need tires and they are on national backorder?

Are those numbers printed on the sidewall, so we can verify proper fitment for the V Series?

Smokin_Cache
04-23-12, 04:55 PM
I will look for the numbers on the sidewall this evening when I get home.

GM-4-LIFE
05-01-12, 04:10 PM
Smokin_Cache,

Part # 08752 doesn't come up anywhere, except the Michelin website. Only part # 46032 shows up.

I found the rear tires cheaper at: www.gmpartsdirect.com at: $410.97 each. Two rear tires shipped to me run: $841.84 which is cheaper than anywhere else I could find! I could NOT locate the front tire at www.gmpartsdirect.com with the 08752 part number. Rear tire came up when I typed in the 46032 part number.

Smokin_Cache
05-01-12, 04:46 PM
Sorry for droping the ball on that. I got in late that night and tried to find the part numbers in the dark and could not. The wife took car to dealer before I checked. Still at dealer! I did find the "TPC SPEC XXXX" in the wall I think it may have been 15XX but I didn't write it down. Did you find the 46032 in the side wall? Great find!! Thanks!!

GM-4-LIFE
05-01-12, 05:21 PM
I haven't checked my front or rear tire sidewalls, but I don't remember seeing any numbers that look anything like that.

I googled the front tire part number and nothing really came up. Only the rear part number came up. When I checked front and rear tire part numbers in matching sets on various sites, only 46032 came up, but there were other front part numbers to go with the rear 46032 part number. No 08752 number came up, except on the actual Michelin website.

It's a good thing that I don't need front tires. I only need a pair of rear tires. GM Parts Direct.com seems to be the place to go, but it doesn't look like they have the tires in stock. It says special order on their site and being they are on national backorder may lead to a long delay. I can order and wait though. My rear tires are still ok.

pmsteinm
05-01-12, 06:04 PM
I noticed the tires went away from tire rack back in Feb. I think. According to Michelin's website the BMW version has the same (Y) speed rating and load rating (96 front/99 rear). The diameter and weight are slightly different, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's an error. Seems to me like the 2 tires are the same, just one gets stamped TPC and the other BMW. Unless there are other differences because of some GM or BMW requirement that also cause the weight change.

GM-4-LIFE
05-01-12, 06:36 PM
GM wants you to use the tire that they had Michelin build for the V Series line.

Smokin_Cache
05-02-12, 12:03 AM
When I called Michelin they said there were slight difference in the two tires.

LV_V
05-02-12, 12:55 AM
This thread is funny :thepan:

OldRoadDawg
05-02-12, 09:38 AM
Here's a guy selling his PS2s that only have a 100 miles on them...
Scroll to last post

PS2 Tires (http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-classifieds/1533214-2012-cts-v-wheels-polished-ps2-tires.html)

GM-4-LIFE
05-02-12, 01:01 PM
Link doesn't work, OldRoadDawg.

GM part number for front tires: 19238602, but at GMpartsdirect.com, the rear tires are cheaper than the fronts. Very odd.

----------

When I called Michelin they said there were slight difference in the two tires.

They are different!

elphil
05-02-12, 02:18 PM
Just talked to the Michelin Man. There are ever so slight differences in the tires. The OEM tires P#08752 for front and P#46032 for rear are still in production. The fronts have limited availability the rear tires are on national backorder.

Maybe this means Cadillac is selling a lot of V's and taxing the available supply.

GM-4-LIFE
05-02-12, 02:45 PM
It may be that the V is produced in such low volumes that Michelin doesn't make the V series PS2s in huge volumes, due to low demand.

OldRoadDawg
05-02-12, 07:44 PM
Link doesn't work, OldRoadDawg.

Huh?? Works for me. Try this...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-classifieds/1533214-2012-cts-v-wheels-polished-ps2-tires.html

Smokin_Cache
05-02-12, 10:50 PM
Can't get link to work even after registering for site. Hmmm thanks for trying

GM-4-LIFE
05-02-12, 10:56 PM
Huh?? Works for me. Try this...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-classifieds/1533214-2012-cts-v-wheels-polished-ps2-tires.html

Still doesn't work.

OldRoadDawg
05-03-12, 09:45 AM
Can't get link to work even after registering for site. Hmmm thanks for trying

Still doesn't work.

Weird?? I have no explanation. :confused: I can open the link from my wife's pc at her work location.

Guy on another forum was selling both his rims and tires with only a 100 miles on them. He sold the rims, but still has the tires for sale for $1,150 for all 4.

Smokin_Cache
05-03-12, 06:10 PM
Can you give him my contact info jmathis17<>comcast.net

Thank you in advance!!

pmsteinm
05-08-12, 05:22 PM
The tires are back on tire rack.

Listed as "New", "Best Seller", and "O. E. Tire".

Still not cheap, of course.

GM-4-LIFE
05-08-12, 05:51 PM
They rears are cheaper at www.gmpartsdirect.com

I would order fronts from either tire rack or somewhere where the price is right and order the rears from GM Parts Direct. Nobody has them listed cheaper including shipping.

thebigjimsho
05-09-12, 10:04 PM
And you'll get them in 2 days or less like the Tire Rack, right?

GM-4-LIFE
05-10-12, 12:45 AM
Even if it takes longer, I always plan my parts purchases way ahead of time just in case there are delays.

TriTexan
05-10-12, 01:31 PM
If this is a coupe with the 10" wide rear wheels, why not go for the new Michelin Super Sports in a 295/30 or 295/35 rear? Even though the OEM tire was technically designed specifically for the V, the technology on the Super Sports probably far exceeds any slight customizations done by Michelin for the V series cars. You can get the stock size up front and a 295 out back and I would think that would give you an improvement in both wear AND performance if the testing on these that has been published so far is even remotely accurate.

GM-4-LIFE
05-10-12, 01:57 PM
Problem is they don't make the Super Sports for the fronts...at least I don't believe I was able to find it when I searched.

TriTexan
05-10-12, 02:11 PM
Problem is they don't make a Super Sport for the fronts...at least I don't believe I was able to find it when I searched.

Michelinman.com shows them in 255/40/19 - http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-super-sport/tire-details

Part # 16126. Now finding them thru a retailer might be the trick at this point in time, but their site does show they make it best I can tell.

GM-4-LIFE
05-10-12, 02:14 PM
I found them as a new addition to Tire Rack's listings. Rears are now available as well in the 295/35/19 Super Sports.

Fronts are $350.00 each and rears are: $455.00 each before shipping and tax, etc.

BOYCHIKS
05-10-12, 09:17 PM
Anyone have experiences with Nitto invo? Def a different tread pattern, but some other people have said good things on different cars..

RapidRob
05-10-12, 10:06 PM
I found them as a new addition to Tire Rack's listings. Rears are now available as well in the 295/35/19 Super Sports.

Fronts are $350.00 each and rears are: $455.00 each before shipping and tax, etc.

Just the news I've been waiting for - thanks! I'm going to outfit my V with the PSS's and see how they work out ...

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
05-10-12, 11:22 PM
Keep us posted as to the performance with them. I want the best handling tire I can get for fast cornering.

I will wait to see how you like them before I pull the trigger as I still have plenty of tread left on my tires.

Thanks in advance.

RapidRob
05-11-12, 05:29 PM
^^^ - Still have some tread left on my PS2 rears, but the fronts are due. So the fronts will be changed first, then the rears later on ..

Rob

Ste_V_e
05-11-12, 06:05 PM
I have a coupe and I'm looking to just reaplace the rears. I will most likely go with 295's, but dont know whether to get 30 or 35. So will the 35's just have a higher sidewall? and also how bad would it be to have the stock ps2 fronts and super sports in the rear?

Thanks
-Steve

thebigjimsho
05-12-12, 11:30 AM
295/35 19 is what you want...