: Supporting member priority

hueterm
04-20-12, 11:19 PM
I'm sure a bitch fest will now ensue after this, but is there anyway to set the server up so that nonpaying members are kicked off when the server load is too high?

In my opinion, supporting members should have priority access to the site.

CadillacLuke24
04-25-12, 01:29 AM
You have a very valid point. That being said, I'm not sure if that's good for PR.

MrHolland
05-03-12, 11:22 PM
I absolutely agree!!!! I just renewed my Platinum subscription this morning and have seen the dreaded server busy message. Very frustrating to be temporarily locked out and certainly not what I'm paying for. AAAHHHHHHHH!!!!! Ok, I feel a little better for the time being.

The-Dullahan
08-27-12, 04:12 PM
Interestingly, I have never seen this mythical busy page.

RippyPartsDept
08-31-12, 01:33 PM
i always have thought this hueterm ... especially since the busy page urges you to become a supporting member ... i always think to myself "but i am a supporting member!!"

lately the busy pages seem to go away pretty quickly though

Lord Cadillac
08-31-12, 01:55 PM
I asked the makers of vBulletin if there was a way to achieve this way back in 2007:
https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/234661-Specify-Usergroup-To-NOT-See-Server-quot-Busy-quot-Message

Unfortunately, there's no way without a modification. A modification was made for early versions of vBulletin 3 - but it didn't even last until the later versions (stopped working). I'm sure there's a way to do it - but it would need to be programmed into the code - not something I can do.

I agree - supporters should not see this message.

RippyPartsDept
08-31-12, 02:02 PM
figures ... you would think that they would have built this in by now

ronm01
05-29-13, 02:29 AM
If it were strictly a pay site, the supporting members could post at will with no freeloaders to clog the server. On the other hand, how long would the forum last before extinction? I'm relatively new here and will probably become a supporting member, soon. I still believe it best for all to have access... whether free or paid.

Hoosier Daddy
05-29-13, 10:28 AM
If it were strictly a pay site, the supporting members could post at will with no freeloaders to clog the server. On the other hand, how long would the forum last before extinction? I'm relatively new here and will probably become a supporting member, soon. I still believe it best for all to have access... whether free or paid.
It would be terminally ill the instant current membership prices became mandatory. Plenty of forums busier than this one have good response times and make a profit without charging $5/month dues so the performance can be fixed without that. Focusing on increasing revenues instead of cutting fat and fixing problems that contribute to bad performance sounds a lot like our dysfunctional government.

That said, I believe the price for paid membership is all wrong from a revenue standpoint. Advertising revenues are relative to number of visits/pages. Forcing current dues on members would drive away so many there would be a net loss. Conversely many members contribute more than they get from the site and others contribute as much as they get. The current membership costs are not a value for any of those members and it is those members that produce the content that gives the forum its value. There needs to be some lower price points for membership because you are currently getting zero from people who would be willing to contribute a lesser amount. But come on now, $5/month for nothing of value except less ads? Clearly the forum doesn't receive $5/month per member from ad revenues and clearly operating the forums doesn't cost anywhere near $5 per month per member after a generous profit is taken UNLESS its not being mismanaged.

talismandave
05-29-13, 01:51 PM
Guys, have you read the whole thread?

You both are recent additions to the site. For a long time we were getting a page telling us the site traffic was too high and to try again later. When this was an issue we were asking that if only certain amount of traffic were allowed, why couldn't paying members get priority. Never was it suggested that membership was required only that those who already pay get to use the site before non paying members at high usage times.

The thread is over a year old because we no longer have the problem here.

Hoosier Daddy
05-30-13, 04:50 PM
Guys, have you read the whole thread?

You both are recent additions to the site. For a long time we were getting a page telling us the site traffic was too high and to try again later. When this was an issue we were asking that if only certain amount of traffic were allowed, why couldn't paying members get priority. Never was it suggested that membership was required only that those who already pay get to use the site before non paying members at high usage times.

The thread is over a year old because we no longer have the problem here.
Sorry.

But my second paragraph, while off topic, is a suggestion for increasing revenues. Ultimately, all other things being equal, any past and future slowness will be in direct proportion to the capacity of the server and bandwidth which are in turn directly related to their costs. There are people who would contribute but not the current going rate. For example I wouldn't give a cent for any of the "perks" that come with being a supporting member, but would "donate" a smaller amount for what is offered free.

Submariner409
05-30-13, 05:00 PM
:food-snacking:

As of 4 PM, EDT there were 331 members and 2188 guests in this site. You might go back in time and read old threads on speed, privileges, ranking, ......... any sort of data you want ........ and bounce that against the number of times the CF hardware racks were updated. Direct member income is nowhere near the high priority that some would believe. Income from those 2188 guests IS - advertising-wise ......... and the advertisers who stay in CF for years have done very well.

You should see the member/guest load in here on Friday and Saturday !!!

Yes, different membership levels cost different dues, but with that comes a few "I'm special" perks (Woop-de-doo). There is no prodding or coercion to become a member on some level - but many so choose.

EDIT: At 4:12 there were 329 members and 2216 guests in here - the site is dynamic - and wait 'till 6 PM Pacific time ...........

3rdcaddy
06-04-13, 09:09 PM
How do I become a dues paying member? I cannot get to the member page.....

Submariner409
06-04-13, 09:38 PM
Open either your profile or settings. Go to paid subscriptions and follow the levels of membership. PayPal works.