: Stealership Strikes Again - Tire Repair Canister

Wannago
04-20-12, 06:39 PM
So I just had my car in for a routine oil change. I also asked them to either replace (or order one if they didn't have one in stock) my tire repair canister, as I had to use mine and it needed replacing. Coincidentally, the last stealership (that will never see my smiling face again), ordered me a replacement canister last fall, but I found out (the hard way) that they couldn't even order the right part for me, and it turned out that it wouldn't properly latch into the compressor and as such, it would not pump into the tire, leaving me stranded. But I digress...

So I get a call this afternoon from the stealership telling me that they don't have a canister and would have to get one in for me, and then he tells me it is $310.00!!!....because they don't sell the canisters separately, and I would have to buy the whole compressor...."should I go ahead and order you one?"

I call bullshit, and he explains that "Well, that is what teh Parts Dept. is telling him" (nice...plausible deniability). I challenge further, "So, the last dealership told me that as soon as you use the canister once, it needs to be replaced, and coincidentally, there is a little button you press to release a latch so that the canister lifts right out of the compressor, but what you're telling me now is that in actuality, everytime I have a flat, I have to throw away my entire canister and compressor and order a new one, at over 300 bucks each time." He responds by telling me, "well, not ALL Caddys, it is dependent on the date of manufacture." (he didn't have to check with Parts to provide that rebuttal though)

Rippy, if you see this, can you help me out? I'm in Canada, and am carying around a bottle of "Slime" in case I get a flat....but want to order a proper replacement.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed in this dealership and can't wait to get a survey (although it won't do any good). There's only 1 more Caddy dealership in town, and its all the way across the city...running out of options as they all seem to have the same MO....I guess my standards must be too high...

Rich Browne
04-20-12, 08:44 PM
That's an $18.00 part. Here's the link:

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/2011/CADILLAC/CTS/V/?siteid=214858&vehicleid=1446542&section=BODY%20HARDWARE&group=REAR%20BODY%20%26%20FLOOR&subgroup=INTERIOR%20TRIM&component=Repair%20kit

HEDP-V
04-21-12, 10:02 AM
Wannago, you should really consider getting a spare tire kit from Eurotek designs. A lot if guys in the forum bought the kit which comes with the jack and tools to change the tire. And the thing fits in the wheel well . There were a several posts on this topic and pictures as well. The company is not an authorized vender in the forum and only deals with foreign cars. It cost me around $700 USD and they can ship it to you in Canada. They had it listed on EBay for awhile but I am unsure if they are still listing it. If you need any info feel free to PM me . Good luck in finding your canister.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-21-12, 03:33 PM
Wannago, I'm sorry that your current situation with your dealership has not been satisfactory. If you wanted to speak with GM of Canada (Customer Assistance for our Canadian owners), they can be reached at 1-888-446-2000 (Hours: M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST).

Kind regards,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
GM Customer Service

baabootoo
04-22-12, 08:26 PM
What about the compressed tire sealant cans?

Wannago
04-23-12, 12:03 PM
On the weekend, I sent a scathing email to the dealership explaining my situation and received a response from the service manager advising that he would look into my issue on Monday. To his credit, I just got a call from him. He advised that there was a mix-up on behalf of the Parts desk and that he would be ordering me a canister and would be covering the cost.

However, he did explain that some build dates DO need to have the whole compressor replaced after the canister is used. My car has a June 09 build date, and according to him, all cars with an 11-2009 build date or later will need to replace the entire compressor and the canister, once it it used.

Still seems a bit "fishy" to me, but thought I'd report back an let everyone know about this little "surprise" (if it is true).

jzchen
04-23-12, 02:26 PM
Yikes! I keep a tire repair plug kit from Walmart in the trunk as well as some of the rubber cement they have in the tire section as well. I hope this may work out better for you in the future than using sealant, because some tire stores (I hear) don't like dealing with the stuff. I'm hoping to get runflats when I have to replace my tires...

concorso
04-23-12, 02:32 PM
Yikes! I keep a tire repair plug kit from Walmart in the trunk as well as some of the rubber cement they have in the tire section as well. I hope this may work out better for you in the future than using sealant, because some tire stores (I hear) don't like dealing with the stuff. I'm hoping to get runflats when I have to replace my tires...Can you expand on the part about some tires not liking the sealant? Ive heard that TPMS sensors can go amuck when exposed to tire sealant, but Ive never heard of the tires themselves having issues. Also, about the runflats...are the newer runflats more comfortable then the older versions, or is it 'the nature of the beast'?

Wannago
04-23-12, 02:37 PM
I may consider that or possibly even the full spare tire option, IF I can still keep my compressor in the recessed space. My last flat was too large to be able to fix it with the Slime, and I'd hade to get stranded roadside (again) without anyway to get my car home.

I'm curious to learnif it is correct that cars built post November 2009 cannot have the canister replaced and need to replace the entire compressor...if so, that is another stupid design flaw right up there with the mosquito-scratchable black centre console trim and the spring loaded S/C isolator.

----------

Can you expand on the part about some tires not liking the sealant? Ive heard that TPMS sensors can go amuck when exposed to tire sealant, but Ive never heard of the tires themselves having issues. Also, about the runflats...are the newer runflats more comfortable then the older versions, or is it 'the nature of the beast'?

My tire had some of the GM goop in it, as well as a full bottle of the green Slime sealant, and my TMPS still seemed to work ok...not sure if in time, it may develop problems though...

Teutonaddict
04-23-12, 08:45 PM
Can you expand on the part about some tires not liking the sealant? Ive heard that TPMS sensors can go amuck when exposed to tire sealant, but Ive never heard of the tires themselves having issues.

He didn't say that the tires didn't like the sealant, but rather that the tire stores don't like the goo. It's a mess. It hardens. It throws wheel assemblies out of balance when driven on. It's a beeyotch to deal with (TPMS, wheel interiors) and it only has limited benefits (small leak in the meat of the tread block). If you monitor your TPMS, you could get to a tire store and have them prepare a proper patch (inside-out) and you'll be far better off than using the goo.

jzchen
04-23-12, 09:37 PM
Can you expand on the part about some tires not liking the sealant? Ive heard that TPMS sensors can go amuck when exposed to tire sealant, but Ive never heard of the tires themselves having issues. Also, about the runflats...are the newer runflats more comfortable then the older versions, or is it 'the nature of the beast'?

I reviewed my post and I said "tire stores." Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they have to clean that stuff up before they patch the hole.

tedcmiller
04-24-12, 03:23 PM
concorso and jzchen, there are no run-flats that match both of the original CTS-V tire sizes available the last time I looked. If you find any, I would like to know about them. The Corvette has them, and the rear CTS-V tire matches the front of the new Corvette. That is the only reason that Michelin makes a run-flat (Zero pressure) that matches the rear of the CTS-V.

JimmyH
04-24-12, 08:59 PM
I would never use that goop. The last time I had a nail in the tire, I just used the compressor to fill the tire to 45 psi. By the time I got home, it was down to about 20 psi. If needs be, I could stop halfway and fill with the compressor again. I would rather stop multiple times to fill the tire than put that crap inside my wheel.

jzchen
04-25-12, 03:49 AM
concorso and jzchen, there are no run-flats that match both of the original CTS-V tire sizes available the last time I looked. If you find any, I would like to know about them. The Corvette has them, and the rear CTS-V tire matches the front of the new Corvette. That is the only reason that Michelin makes a run-flat (Zero pressure) that matches the rear of the CTS-V.

You are right, but I'm personally okay with different tires in front and rear, since the tires are staggered anyways. My biggest concern would be an increased harshness in the ride, but I'm also willing to give that up for concern of being stuck on the side of the road with only AAA as my option.

MSOsr
04-25-12, 07:58 PM
Any word from Luke or Chris as to what we should expect if we have used our cannister? Are we going to be out $18 or $300+?

Mike (hopes to make it to Sun Tire if a tire is going down)

JimmyH
04-26-12, 04:15 PM
It's doubtful Luke or Chris are going to want to jump into a thread with "stealership" in the title.