Cadillac Owners Forum banner

nasty rattle in rear of my wagon

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  VTKE 
#1 ·
searched but didn't find anything specifically related to my apparent issue with a rattle or whatever to call it. it seems to be the floor of the rear section of the wagon. it's a plastic folding piece covered with carpet. i've checked the compressor section cover and everything including my corsa, but it still rattles on rough bumps. anyone else have this problem on an 09 plus?

#6 ·
that was actually my first thought as well. battery is locked down tight and i can't find anything else in there to cause it. i bought some rubber sticky back weather stripping to put under the floor lid and the compressor area cover. i'll post the results. i really hate to say this, but i didn't have the problem until the corsa went on. it takes a lot of pushing and pulling to make it touch anything under the car, but it seems the noise is much more frequent at high operating temp. i know exhaust expands at temp because the tips stick out almost a half an inch further when hot. this puts the mufflers very close to the rear most hangers brackets. hope i'm wrong.

#8 · (Edited)
i wish i could swear to it, but i can't. i just never heard it before that. i isolated everything in the back with the soft rubber and still have the rattle/bumping noise to a lessor degree. that could be because i haven't hit the roughest road yet. when i say rough, for where i live it is, but other parts of the country it's probably pretty mild. what really sets it off is when both rear wheels hit the same bump at the same time like a fairly smooth railroad crossing or pavement filler that crosses the entire lane.
i'm almost to the point of living with it.

#9 ·
well.... i believe i have finally conquered the noise and determined it's cause. after realigning the corsa for at least the fifth time and perfectly centering the tips in the cutouts, road testing it to the extreme with hard cornering and excessive bumps, i no longer have the noise. keep in mind that over three days time i have isolated every possible thing with soft rubber (one at a time for diagnostic purposes) and finally end up with the ever so slight misalignment of the exhaust to be the culprit.
word to the wise; align it, check all the hangers to make sure they are where they will be after some rough road driving by tugging and pulling in all possible directions, road test the heck out of it at full operating temperature then check it again. please understand this is not in any way a bad review of the product rather an encouragement for due diligence when installing or possibly pay the price of having to do what i did and the possible loss of sanity in the process.

#12 ·
word to the wise; align it, check all the hangers to make sure they are where they will be after some rough road driving by tugging and pulling in all possible directions, road test the heck out of it at full operating temperature then check it again. please understand this is not in any way a bad review of the product rather an encouragement for due diligence when installing or possibly pay the price of having to do what i did and the possible loss of sanity in the process.
Good advice! With these stainless systems and the incredibly tight tolerances through the routing to the back of the car, it's not at all unusual for ANY aftermarket system to move from its initial install. Stainless expands a lot when at operating temp, and is prone to move around. I, too, had a rattle appear some time after initial install, and it wasn't apparent to me until up on a lift. Went to my local custom muffler shop and had them play around with it until no clearance issues when cold or hot. Glad you found your solution!

#11 · (Edited)
i believe it was. both tips were too close to the inside part of the cutouts causing them to bump slightly with a moderate to heavy jolt. if you center them, it would take running over a curb at 20 MPH to make them hit either side. sorry about the rear end whine. taking mine in for fluid checks to be sure all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.