: northstar studs

lx2gt
04-20-12, 07:05 PM
Im aware of supply issues with a certin company making studs but is anyone else making a set? I took on a head gasket job as a favor for an elderly man with little money and didnt expect parts supply to be an issue. Id rather stud it than inserts but i figured id give it a shot before going with inserts. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sooner the better as the old man rented a car because i said i could get it done in a week.
Thanks!

vincentm
04-20-12, 07:25 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257489

Submariner409
04-20-12, 08:17 PM
Don't discount inserts and a new set of head bolts OR studs out-of-hand. If you're in a bind, talk to both Norm Huhn at www.huhnsolutions.com (http://www.huhnsolutions.com) and Tim Carroll at CarrollCustomCadillac.

Yes, studs are the most elegant solution, but again, don't discount a healthy insert job.

vincentm
04-20-12, 09:15 PM
Don't discount inserts and a new set of head bolts OR studs out-of-hand. If you're in a bind, talk to both Norm Huhn at www.huhnsolutions.com (http://www.huhnsolutions.com) and Tim Carroll at CarrollCustomCadillac.

Yes, studs are the most elegant solution, but again, don't discount a healthy insert job.

:yeah:

ThumperPup
04-21-12, 02:48 PM
i had norm sirts in for 23k before my blocked cracked
they did not seem to have any problems
but i decided the next time around when i got it done 6 months latter from the cracked block i wanted it studded

Submariner409
04-21-12, 08:06 PM
Why ? What is the mechanical difference between studs and NS300 inserts ?

dwillv
04-21-12, 08:38 PM
im still waiting for my kit. 5 months later. there was another guy offering machined studs.check n old thred

89falcon
04-21-12, 11:56 PM

Sub, be kind when you slam me for my reply.....but:

I think the one major advantage of studs is that they are being mostly pulled when being torqued, while serts seems to have more of a twisting load when used with stock bolts.

I will admit that I have one concern WRT studs.....there doesn't seem to be the level of engineering in them that was put into the stock bolts....ie, how much do they stretch? How much do the expand and lengthen when heated? Do they keep the ideal clamping load on the head gaskets when they go thru a heat cycle?

On the issue of cracks after the repair......if you make the hole bigger, the amount of aluminum around the bolt will obviously be less....and leads to a higher chance of cracks.......makes sense to me!

ThumperPup
04-22-12, 01:35 AM

Not sure why just wanted it i heard so many good things everyone was saying studs are the way to go
the Block was ordered new from Jake he shipped it to David at PowerTrain Automotive along with the studs
so i figured id give Jake the business he was really good on the price also
i am not sure if david even marked up the price on the block at all i think he did the parts at cost i know the block was like 500 is what i paid
for a brand new never used Northstar Block from an 02 casting

Ranger
04-22-12, 01:58 AM
NS300L inserts will do the job just as well as studs will.