: went looking 4 trouble and trouble kicked my a$$

BERSERKER-V
04-20-12, 05:18 PM
Hey guys,

I'm an owner of a brand new V2 coupe that I purchased back in February. I wanted a daily driver with a bit of power that will make my office trip exciting. I liked the car during the break-in and I couldn't wait to finish the recommended 1,500 mile break-in.

Anyway, I went out with a couple of friends the last 2 weekends thinking that my V will murder their rides only to be shockingly disappointed.

I raced a 2010 MERCEDES CL 600 (v12 bi-turbo) and he bested me all day long and in all races. We raced from a dig, 20 km/h, 40, 60, and 80 and he won all races by at least 2 car lengths.

I also raced a '08 BMW Alpina B5 from a roll (80km/h) and I was ahead of him until 5th gear (200km/h) when passed me by as if I was standing still. Everybody thought I lifted but I didn't and I thought he was on bottle but he wasn't.

With a stock 2006 Z06, it was even worse. There was no game at all even though my friend driving the Z didn't floor it.

Last night I could barely keep up with '08 stock BMW M5 with a bad driver that beat my friend in the CL600 when another guy raced the M5. So I think the M5 would've smoked me had it been raced by the other guy.

I first thought maybe there was something wrong with my car since I've raced her too soon, but, I raced another friend with '11 Coupe with more than 20k miles on the clock and the race was dead even.

All I can say now is I didn't expect that.

I'll try to upload some videos when I get them from my friends.

Mo

Pphilthy
04-20-12, 05:40 PM
It's time for you to mod :)

cruiser68
04-20-12, 05:46 PM

Agreed...my biggest problem is traction :(

SoCal_V
04-20-12, 06:19 PM
Those CL600s are never something to take for granted, stock or mildly modified they are monsters.

Is your Coupe a manual or auto?

Rockey
04-20-12, 08:01 PM
Take it to a 1/4 mile track and report back, then we can tell if its the car or the driver.

shchow
04-20-12, 09:16 PM
Something does not seem right.
You should have handled all the cars you mentioned with the exception of the Vette...

Darnell
04-20-12, 09:38 PM
Murder from the C6 z06 makes sense.

smackdownCTSV
04-20-12, 09:50 PM
It's still not broken in yet and street racing isn't exactly calibrated so either one of you can get the jump and you wouldn't notice it from the naked eye.
PS. Street racing is bad, mmkay. It's wrong, don't do it.

Wannago
04-20-12, 10:18 PM
You would have won if you had a sedan!

Gary Wells
04-20-12, 10:35 PM
At last. Somebody that might be slower than I am. I'm the only one that I know of that can make a 16 sec pass out of a '09 CTS-V & a mid 12 sec turbo Buick.
J/K, dude, but I feel for you. Now I only race cars with small single exhausts. Helped immensely.
Mod that thing & don't look back.

ekyub
04-20-12, 11:43 PM
Hey guys,

I'm an owner of a brand new V2 coupe that I purchased back in February. I wanted a daily driver with a bit of power that will make my office trip exciting. I liked the car during the break-in and I couldn't wait to finish the recommended 1,500 mile break-in.

Anyway, I went out with a couple of friends the last 2 weekends thinking that my V will murder their rides only to be shockingly disappointed.

I raced a 2010 MERCEDES CL 600 (v12 bi-turbo) and he bested me all day long and in all races. We raced from a dig, 20 km/h, 40, 60, and 80 and he won all races by at least 2 car lengths.

I also raced a '08 BMW Alpina B5 from a roll (80km/h) and I was ahead of him until 5th gear (200km/h) when passed me by as if I was standing still. Everybody thought I lifted but I didn't and I thought he was on bottle but he wasn't.

With a stock 2006 Z06, it was even worse. There was no game at all even though my friend driving the Z didn't floor it.

Last night I could barely keep up with '08 stock BMW M5 with a bad driver that beat my friend in the CL600 when another guy raced the M5. So I think the M5 would've smoked me had it been raced by the other guy.

I first thought maybe there was something wrong with my car since I've raced her too soon, but, I raced another friend with '11 Coupe with more than 20k miles on the clock and the race was dead even.

All I can say now is I didn't expect that.

I'll try to upload some videos when I get them from my friends.

Mo

That's perplexing because I would have thought you would have beat all except the Z06.

GM-4-LIFE
04-21-12, 12:12 AM
Wait until you get at least 7K to 10K miles on the engine and then you will see a big difference. The engine really opens up with more miles.

If you do the same races with about 10K miles on your car and still the same results, I would say you definitely need a nice thorough dyno tune or at least a baseline dyno test to see where your car sits bonestock. Your car should put down between 440 RWHP and 470 RWHP bone stock or maybe even more as we have seen bone stock Vs put out upwards of 520 RWHP bone stock. My V Coupe put down 470 RWHP with 400 miles on the engine and I have an automatic.

The CTS-V is a bit quicker than the M5. I have taken M3s, M5s, M6s bone stock all day long in my V Coupe, so something is not right. The V Coupe is also way lighter than the Mercedes, so it should have at least been a close one. Can't explain why your car isn't running as strong as it should.

If it was April 1st, I would say this is one helluva April Fool's joke!

Rock1
04-21-12, 07:53 AM
I also have the same issue, but mine is the lagtime from when you floor it to when the supercharger kicks in. There is a delay and I cant seem to get around it very frustrating I had a few runs with a buddy of mine who has a C5 Z and he stayed 1-2 cars ahead of me each time since the delay was more then enough to give him a good jump (at least a car) then it just got worse as heat soak came into play. His Z is tuned for nitrous so off the bottle he only puts down 405 to the wheels. I thought about putting it in manual mode to get the RPMs high enough to alleviate that but havent tried that as of yet..wonder if that will fix it.

Darnell
04-21-12, 08:22 AM
I also have the same issue, but mine is the lagtime from when you floor it to when the supercharger kicks in. There is a delay and I cant seem to get around it very frustrating I had a few runs with a buddy of mine who has a C5 Z and he stayed 1-2 cars ahead of me each time since the delay was more then enough to give him a good jump (at least a car) then it just got worse as heat soak came into play. His Z is tuned for nitrous so off the bottle he only puts down 405 to the wheels. I thought about putting it in manual mode to get the RPMs high enough to alleviate that but havent tried that as of yet..wonder if that will fix it.

Superchargers don't have lag, the transmissions on these cars downshift very slowly, so it seems like you're waiting around. Also 400 rwhp on C5 Z06 is pretty nasty since they are so light and are shaped like an arrow. What speed where you guys racing at? Good trick is to manually shift to the proper gear then switch to auto after te race has started then shift right back into "sport" and let it shift on its.

These cars are only low-mid 12 second cars for the most part stock which is fast, but you shouldn't think you're bulletproof when it comes to other cars because they likely won't be stock if they want to play around with you.

SoCalCTSV
04-21-12, 01:17 PM
Take it to a 1/4 mile track and report back, then we can tell if its the car or the driver.

Bingo!

undertaker
04-21-12, 01:37 PM
well my 03Z ran 12.09 showroom stock, a CTSV is right around the same time. If the C5Z had some work and was 400 at the wheels stock it was faster than stock and faster than a stock V. A C6Z is a mid 11 second capable ride as well, so once again a faster car. Have to remember when racing vettes they're close to 1k lighter than our V's.

2012 CTS-V
04-21-12, 03:23 PM
I raced a c5 z06 in my stock V sedan and beat him. The V was definitely faster, not sure if the older man knew how to drive or not but he did floor it.

Rock1
04-21-12, 03:31 PM
Superchargers don't have lag, the transmissions on these cars downshift very slowly, so it seems like you're waiting around. Also 400 rwhp on C5 Z06 is pretty nasty since they are so light and are shaped like an arrow. What speed where you guys racing at? Good trick is to manually shift to the proper gear then switch to auto after te race has started then shift right back into "sport" and let it shift on its.

These cars are only low-mid 12 second cars for the most part stock which is fast, but you shouldn't think you're bulletproof when it comes to other cars because they likely won't be stock if they want to play around with you.

I will definitely try that..yeah we started from different speeds each time 1 was from 50, then 60 then as high as 70 and it was the same he got the jump and just held it there the closest one was the first race as I kinda got the hit (and wasnt heatsoaked) his rear fender was basically at my front wheel and then I started to creep up on him. All and all they were very close races but I just need to even it up and if Im able to put it in the sweet spot then go, it would be a very different story for sure. Thanks for the input. Oh and Im not stock either :lildevil:

2012 CTS-V
04-21-12, 03:34 PM
I will definitely try that..yeah we started from different speeds each time 1 was from 50, then 60 then as high as 70 and it was the same he got the jump and just held it there the closest one was the first race as I kinda got the hit (and wasnt heatsoaked) his rear fender was basically at my front wheel and then I started to creep up on him. All and all they were very close races but I just need to even it up and if Im able to put it in the sweet spot then go, it would be a very different story for sure. Thanks for the input. Oh and Im not stock either :lildevil:

Hey I see you have a gto. Was just wondering what SRM stood for? I actually ran a gto yesterday and it was really close, obviously the guy was modded and I'd say heavily.

smackdownCTSV
04-21-12, 04:24 PM
Spice Red Metallic?

2012 CTS-V
04-21-12, 05:14 PM
Oh ok. Thanks.

HeavyH20
04-21-12, 10:12 PM
The supercharger is always spinning but it does take a little time for the bypass solenoid to close and boost to subsequently build. I adjusted this ramp in on mine and it woke the car up with respect to boost response. It also improved my stock quarter mile times by 2 to 3 tenths when I found the plate was not completely closing under boost. This latter item will definitely cost you. I went from an average of 12.6 on street tires (4000 DA) to 12.3 ( 3600 DA ) with this small change and picked up 4 mph in the traps.

smackdownCTSV
04-21-12, 10:31 PM
^ What change is this?

Rock1
04-22-12, 08:29 AM
Spice Red Metallic is correct

mrl859
04-22-12, 09:44 AM
The supercharger is always spinning but it does take a little time for the bypass solenoid to close and boost to subsequently build. I adjusted this ramp in on mine and it woke the car up with respect to boost response. It also improved my stock quarter mile times by 2 to 3 tenths when I found the plate was not completely closing under boost. This latter item will definitely cost you. I went from an average of 12.6 on street tires (4000 DA) to 12.3 ( 3600 DA ) with this small change and picked up 4 mph in the traps.How does one check and adjust the bypass solenoid???

smackdownCTSV
04-22-12, 10:14 AM
How does one check and adjust the bypass solenoid???
+1! I've heard and read about that, but nothing on how/what to do.

Vwagon2012
04-22-12, 02:23 PM
get an airaid intake, Diablo Trinity tune your car yourself get 40 rwhp

baabootoo
04-24-12, 08:27 PM
Word!

BERSERKER-V
05-01-12, 03:21 PM

Too early bro the car was only driven for less than 2,000 miles.

Those CL600s are never something to take for granted, stock or mildly modified they are monsters.

Is your Coupe a manual or auto?

Auto cuz it's my DD.

Wait until you get at least 7K to 10K miles on the engine and then you will see a big difference. The engine really opens up with more miles.

If you do the same races with about 10K miles on your car and still the same results, I would say you definitely need a nice thorough dyno tune or at least a baseline dyno test to see where your car sits bonestock. Your car should put down between 440 RWHP and 470 RWHP bone stock or maybe even more as we have seen bone stock Vs put out upwards of 520 RWHP bone stock. My V Coupe put down 470 RWHP with 400 miles on the engine and I have an automatic.

The CTS-V is a bit quicker than the M5. I have taken M3s, M5s, M6s bone stock all day long in my V Coupe, so something is not right. The V Coupe is also way lighter than the Mercedes, so it should have at least been a close one. Can't explain why your car isn't running as strong as it should.

If it was April 1st, I would say this is one helluva April Fool's joke!

took her to the dyno last week and she put down 429 rwhp and 430 torque in the first run and I added TORCO to my full tank so the second run she put down 446rwhp/440 torque and the last run was the best @ 454/443, however, the guy that dynoed my car told me that the other V2s he ran always put numbers between 460 to 480 rwhp.

Rockey
05-01-12, 07:21 PM

Too early bro the car was only driven for less than 2,000 miles.

Auto cuz it's my DD.

took her to the dyno last week and she put down 429 rwhp and 430 torque in the first run and I added TORCO to my full tank so the second run she put down 446rwhp/440 torque and the last run was the best @ 454/443, however, the guy that dynoed my car told me that the other V2s he ran always put numbers between 460 to 480 rwhp.

Which Torco product did you add that gave you 25 rwhp? Did they have to tune when the Torco was added or were the gains simply from adding the Torco? Thanks.

MReiland
05-01-12, 10:05 PM
+1! I've heard and read about that, but nothing on how/what to do.There should be some past threads from Jesse on how to adjust, there were a few out there where the bypass valve was not closing all the way, thus it was bleeding boost and you weren't getting full power. There is some sort of a set screw to adjust. It would be interesting to see if the op is seeing that same boost level as others on the board, or if it is never going above say 3 psi there may be some blowby on the bypass valve.

BERSERKER-V
05-02-12, 04:20 AM
Which Torco product did you add that gave you 25 rwhp? Did they have to tune when the Torco was added or were the gains simply from adding the Torco? Thanks.

TORCO is an additive for higher octane. A friend suggested that I add a bottle and see if it made a difference since we anticipated that our cars are tuned down given the poor quality of gas we have here in the middle east.

It would be interesting to see if the op is seeing that same boost level as others on the board, or if it is never going above say 3 psi there may be some blowby on the bypass valve.

I've seen past 3 psi but never seen past 6 psi and I've been told that I should be able to see 9 psi stock, right?

mannyz
05-02-12, 07:39 AM
Yep, 9psi at sea level is normal.

Wannago
05-02-12, 10:25 AM
Yep, 9psi at sea level is normal.

This was at ~2200, you can see the boost aroun 9 ish...:

This thread might help clarify

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-cadillac-cts-v-performance-mods/213632-something-you-might-want-check-if.html

Pphilthy
05-02-12, 12:50 PM

Funny that this was mention, I recall just recently some forum 'expert' was stating that adding higher octane to the stock motor would cause a loss in HP lol - I tried explaining that the factory ECU will pull timing and reduce the overall power if the octane levels drop, and adding higher octane fuel would enable the ECU to run the full dynamic advance tables, i.e., additional timing and would yield more HP and not less...

Mystical_Ice
05-03-12, 12:09 AM
I'd be glad that you got a C6 Z06 to even play with you :)

Those things are a different league from us :(