: replaced yaw and tpm sensors: car still trying to kill me

Overd0s3
04-20-12, 11:28 AM
So my service stability error came on once in a while and I ignored it. Then after a few months the car tried to kill me once a week by locking the front left wheel at highway speeds and I replaced the yaw sensor. Still tried to kill me. Next I replaced all four tpms and it STILL locks up randomly and tries to kill me by throwing me into the left lane or middle barrier on the highwa whats left to replace?

I know there's a steering sensor is that a dyi like the yaw or needs special tools like for tpms?
Is there anything else to look at?

darkman
04-20-12, 11:49 AM
See attached. I believe you problem could also be one more of the wheel speed sensors which are located in the wheel hubs. This is the kind of issue that I take to a dealer.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-20-12, 02:10 PM
I'm really sorry to hear that, Overd0s3. Please know that your safety is of utmost importance to Cadillac. I would recommend taking your V to a dealership for a full diagnosis, but I can appreciate if you prefer the Do-It-Yourself approach instead. If you prefer DIY, I hope you'll keep us updated on whether or not darkman's helpful feedback resolved the concern!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

odthetruth
04-20-12, 05:11 PM
Steering wheel position sensor can be a DIY with basic tools.

AAIIIC
04-20-12, 08:17 PM
My guess is ABS wheel speed sensor, as Darkman mentioned. I know one of mine failed due to a break in the wiring that had to be spliced.

Schneig07CTS
04-20-12, 10:22 PM
Sounds as if you should give Christine a little more attention. I would recommended keeping your significant other away for a bit too. Seriously I would check the connections to that sensor. Usually if the sensor is going bad you will get a pulse when comming to a complete stop. I replaced the hub and sensor on my avalanche. Got rid of the issue.

CancerJCC
04-21-12, 04:48 PM
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/181784-diy-steering-wheel-position-sensor-install.html

Faber
04-23-12, 09:34 AM
Since your TPMS weren't the root of the issue & you replaced them, any chance you have the old ones laying around that you might want to unload?

Mallett Hammer
04-23-12, 01:00 PM
Steering wheel position sensor can be a DIY with basic tools.

My car had the same symptoms back a year ago. Catches you by suprise doesn't it. Kinda scary!

I changed the Steering Wheel position sensor and it was a happy car after that.

Overd0s3
05-24-12, 01:35 AM
Well the dealer snagged 140 bucks from me and told me "We found nothing wrong with your car, but here's a diagnostic fee for our time!"
This was Mahwah Cadillac in north NJ.

I am deeply dissapointed. I am still getting the error and the car still tries to kill me.

Any corporate contacts I can point this at? I can't believe this.

FuzzyLogic
05-24-12, 05:39 AM
Where's that "oh so helpful" Katie at Cadillac Customer Service when you need her? :bigroll:

darkman
05-24-12, 07:24 AM
Where's that "oh so helpful" Katie at Cadillac Customer Service when you need her? :bigroll:

Probably off duty between midnight and dawn.

perfect
05-24-12, 09:00 AM
I've had this happen a few times when I've left my cutouts open and not turned the TC all the way off....pulls me into the right lane hard for a brief second and scares the crap out of me!

Does this happen under hard acceleration or braking? How long does it brake the wheel? Do you turn the TC all the way off (hold the button down for a few seconds until you receive the TC off message on the nav) and still have this happen?

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-24-12, 12:45 PM
Well the dealer snagged 140 bucks from me and told me "We found nothing wrong with your car, but here's a diagnostic fee for our time!"
This was Mahwah Cadillac in north NJ.

I am deeply dissapointed. I am still getting the error and the car still tries to kill me.

Any corporate contacts I can point this at? I can't believe this.

Overd0s, I appreciate your updates. I'm so sorry to hear you're still frustrated, and I'd be happy to set up a service request for your concern and follow-up with the dealership if you wish (or, if you'd prefer, set up an appointment at an alternate dealership on your behalf). PMing me with your full name, VIN, phone, address, mileage, and dealership info would help me investigate.

If any of you ever see a thread where you think my immediate attention is required, I always welcome PMs alerting me to the thread URL.

Best,

Katie

DrSpeed
05-24-12, 01:07 PM
Yep, mine's on it's way out too. Looking to replace the Yaw Sensor as well.

When I start the car cold, and have the screen to read the lateral G's, the display reads illegible text that's not 0.00.

For me, it happens pretty regularly at 100mph, under hard acceleration in 4th gear.

perfect
05-24-12, 04:10 PM
For me, it happens pretty regularly at 100mph, under hard acceleration in 4th gear.

So, pretty much the worst possible time to have your car try and drag you over a lane or two all of a sudden. Pants would be shat!!

Overd0s3
05-24-12, 10:31 PM
No, if I turn off all assists it doesnt happen. Pming katie now...

Overd0s3
06-04-12, 09:39 PM
I believe this has caused my ball joints to deteriorate.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/261552-i-think-i-figured-out-my.html

Also, a week now with no updates from Katie, hopefully I can get this resolved asap.

dangrus
06-05-12, 12:07 AM
I am having the same issue. I hooked up a scanner when the service error came up but there was no code. I do not have the GM enhanced codes for my scanner so I may not be able to read the ABS codes... I replaced the steering wheel sensor on Sunday and it still does it. My next step is going to pull all four wheels to check the sensors to see if I can see anything wrong.

I just got a post card in the mail from a caddy dealer for a recall notice on the passenger air bag / seat. I may have to pay them a diag fee to figure it out if I haven't by then. I got close to a guard rail once when it kicked in, luckily it was just for a second. Another time I was doing 20 and it would not let up until I came to a complete stop. That really freaked out the passengers.

Overd0s3
06-05-12, 12:35 AM
I am having the same issue. I hooked up a scanner when the service error came up but there was no code. I do not have the GM enhanced codes for my scanner so I may not be able to read the ABS codes... I replaced the steering wheel sensor on Sunday and it still does it. My next step is going to pull all four wheels to check the sensors to see if I can see anything wrong.

I just got a post card in the mail from a caddy dealer for a recall notice on the passenger air bag / seat. I may have to pay them a diag fee to figure it out if I haven't by then. I got close to a guard rail once when it kicked in, luckily it was just for a second. Another time I was doing 20 and it would not let up until I came to a complete stop. That really freaked out the passengers.

Wow, sounds just as bad! Keep us posted on progress, hopefully your dealer can be more useful!

Rakenjevnk
06-05-12, 11:48 AM
WTF: the car computer is applying brakes on one wheel @ highway speeds!?

1: I am unsure if the computer can brake wheels independantly - stability control can do that (traction control retards motor)?
2: WTF doing it when it shouldn't! - scary -> pants shat thinking about it.

DrSpeed
06-05-12, 12:12 PM
WTF: the car computer is applying brakes on one wheel @ highway speeds!?

1: I am unsure if the computer can brake wheels independantly - stability control can do that (traction control retards motor)?
2: WTF doing it when it shouldn't! - scary -> pants shat thinking about it.

Yep, car can apply the brakes to each corner in order to point the car in the right (or what it thinks is) the right direction.

I replaced the steering wheel sensor on Sunday and it still does it. My next step is going to pull all four wheels to check the sensors to see if I can see anything wrong.

How tough was it to replace the steering wheel sensor?

No, if I turn off all assists it doesnt happen. Pming katie now...

Not for me. Turned the Traction Control all the way off, and still does it under hard acceleration at 100mph.

So, pretty much the worst possible time to have your car try and drag you over a lane or two all of a sudden. Pants would be shat!!

Yep, scared the hell out of me the first time. It was dark when it first happened. I thought I had hit a puddle or an oil spot...

----------

Sounds as if you should give Christine a little more attention. I would recommended keeping your significant other away for a bit too. Seriously I would check the connections to that sensor. Usually if the sensor is going bad you will get a pulse when comming to a complete stop. I replaced the hub and sensor on my avalanche. Got rid of the issue.

How do you check the wheel end ABS sensors?

dangrus
06-05-12, 07:31 PM
The steering wheel sensor took about 2 hours, there is a write up on here somewhere that was pretty handy. Pretty much you remove a bolt on the shaft in the engine bay, pull the panels under the column, disconnect the wire harness then remove 4 bolts and wiggle the beast out of there. I busted one of the positions on the trim panel so the clip doesn't fit correctly anymore, spent 45 minutes jacking with that alone.

On mine, it is the front left brake that engages. When ever it does it, the stability engaged message comes on and then the service stability message comes on until you hit OK. I have tried a few times to disable the stability system and so far every time it is off, it has never happened. But you have to turn it off completely, I have had it freak out with just disabling traction control.

Heavybody
06-05-12, 08:48 PM
My car is doing this as well I have to make sure I disable the stability control every time I drive or the car will activate a brake on a random wheel or if I apply the brakes sometimes the ABS comes on and severely limits braking capability (on dry pavement) at random times...

Press and hold the traction control until you receive the stability control disabled message on you DIC (thats how I drive so I don't have to feel like the car is going to kill me)

After a random amount of time the DIC will display service stability control message but I have yet to bring it to have the code read to find out what the problem is.

Cadillac should really be looking into this ... Seems crazy that a safety feature is doing more harm than good!

Overd0s3
06-05-12, 09:50 PM
How can we get some kind of attention into this? I already gave away 140 ish dollars to my dealer so they can take it for a test ride then return it as is since it's got "no problems at all!"
I cannot understand how this isn't a recall or how cadillac wants us to pay so that we don't get killed by our cars?

Is there any important people on here that we can all poke to hopefully get a recall or something of that nature?

CadzillaTN
06-06-12, 12:37 AM
Yes, Cadillac has a dedicated customer service representative trolling around that can assist you... Just go rub your tailpipe and exhibit some frustration...she will appear...

dangrus
06-13-12, 11:00 PM
I pulled the back of the console off and reseated the YAW sensor connector. I didn't get the issue for a couple of days, but that doesn't really mean anything. So today I took the car into the dealership for the seat recall and paid for the $115 diag fee for the stability system. They pulled the codes and the YAW sensor was on there. They recommended replacing the YAW sensor for $650, so I ordered it through Orielly for $227. I didn't even think to scan the codes with a scanner at Orielly's before taking it to the dealer. I have ScanXL for my laptop to pull codes with but I don't have the GM Enhanced add on so I don't think I could have pulled that code.

I am going to buy the GM add on and scan it after the error comes up and before I replace the sensor just so that I know it works.

CadzillaTN
06-13-12, 11:30 PM
Add some cotton balls and witch hazel to the list for your ass hahaha

Overd0s3
06-17-12, 03:24 PM
Been about three weeks waitin on a response from Katie about this, nothing so far. I may try reseating the YAW sensor today since dangrus has had good results

dangrus
06-19-12, 11:24 PM
It worked for a couple of days after reseating the plug, and then it started in again. I just got the call from the parts store that the YAW sensor is in.

HAMSTAR
06-19-12, 11:30 PM
Been about three weeks waitin on a response from Katie about this, nothing so far. I may try reseating the YAW sensor today since dangrus has had good results

Pretty sure she is just some chach executive's bright idea to capture more service revenue from self-help forums. i.e., she is a marketer with limited to no pull. If she has actually ever helped someone, I would like to know.

Rakenjevnk
06-20-12, 10:09 AM
She's polite and at least we know someone from Cadillac is at least listening to whats up on the forum and she's a platinum supporter which helps us all a little.

Plus I'm pretty sure she looks like this so watch yo self HAMSTAR:

:highfive:

CadzillaTN
06-20-12, 10:09 AM
Bingo. Trollin ain't easy.

Everyone knows there is a dealer willing to violate you anytime you're ready, they don't need a reminder in every thread.

Rakenjevnk
06-20-12, 10:16 AM
:nyanya: haha, sorry my post beat yours by a few seconds CadzillaTN. Now:

CadzillaTN_Post_Context := 0;

CadzillaTN
06-20-12, 10:18 AM
She's polite and at least we know someone from Cadillac is at least listening to whats up on the forum and she's a platinum supporter which helps us all a little.

Plus I'm pretty sure she looks like this so watch yo self HAMSTAR:

:highfive:

Hahahaha, cmon man..Cadillac doesn't give a sh*t about your problems.

Quit leg humping too. It's probably a 300lb dude.

Rakenjevnk
06-20-12, 10:23 AM
True that, never been to a dealership and come out feeling good about it. Since we both don't know the Katie scene I think I'll stick with my version... She has an accent. ;)

CadzillaTN
06-20-12, 10:28 AM
And a meth inspired mosaic of tats too, I see. Enjoy that hepatitis C

Rakenjevnk
06-20-12, 11:14 AM
Your getting confused, the car has meth injection and a case of Pimpitis. Don't be hating Cadzilla... I hate the dealers and I wanted to post a hottie for the people, thats all. :D

BTW: those yaw sensors still causing random braking? Anyone else have any info on this because if my car even has the potential to do this I wanna know why/how and make sure that system is very well maintained.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-20-12, 04:19 PM
:lol: Ha! I enjoyed reading this page, you all. Thanks for the laugh! To clear things up a bit, I'm part of GM's Social Media Team and a Customer Service rep (not a Marketing rep).

On a serious note, Overd0s, I'm really sorry your case has taken longer than expected to process. I will send you another DM Friday to let you know the status!

Have a good night!

Katie

Rakenjevnk
06-20-12, 04:51 PM
Hey Katie...

dangrus
06-27-12, 08:08 PM
I have the perfect fix.... As soon as I drove to the store to pick up the sensor, it quit happening. I am waiting for the error to show up again so that I can make sure I can read the code before I swap the sensor out. I have been tossing it around the corners just to get it to show up. Maybe the 95+ degree heat makes it work right.

Overd0s3
06-27-12, 08:12 PM
well 3 weeks (or 4 now? lost track) in and katie has been contacting the wrong dealer this whole time even though I listed an address and phone number. Besides that still get the issue.

New note: Sometimes the error goes off even before I start the car!

dangrus
08-17-12, 08:41 PM
As soon as it started cooling off from the 90+ temperatures it started giving the errors and locking up the brake again.