: Wake up tranny

carguy16
11-22-04, 09:24 PM
Yesterday, I was coming home from work. I pulled out into traffic onto a two lane high way, there were about 2-3 cars behind me, 1 car that just pulled out infront of me.

I am in the left lane when I pull out into traffic and accelerate up to 40-45 mph, which is the speed limit. A red neck truck(Dodge) behind me decides he doesnt want to follow me, and gets into the merge lanes, passes me and drive's over the bike lane and then cuts the car off infront of me.

I stepped on the gas pedal to try and stop him from getting infront of me, but nothing happened!!!

To top it off, I have LOOSE CONTACTS in my horn, so when I honk the horn it doesnt work, it it only sounds for a second and cuts off. This is annoying as hell, I need an external P/A system! "You stupid #%##! What are you doing!!!"

juiceE
11-23-04, 12:07 PM
Dam... Didnt U Just Buy This Car?

Pianoman72
11-23-04, 12:41 PM
Check your horn relay under the hood. Might be a loose contact on there. Much easier to check before you go taking the steering wheel apart.

Do these cars have ECUs that learn your driving habits? If so - unplug your battery for 30 min or so to reset it. Then drive vigorously for a few days. Your tranny might be set for economy vs power.

carguy16
11-23-04, 03:54 PM
I can tell your right now, I have floored it once, other then that its been slow and steady like a turtle. Im trying to see how good I can get my gas mileage.

I will try and track down the horn contacts under the hood, I found the horn the other day while the car was on a lift.

For some reason, when the car is parked the horn works all the time, but when your moving it doesnt always do that. I honk the horn alot while the car is parked, dont ask, but it just works then.

I know I've been going 55 and accelerate a little, and push the gas pedal down slightly, and it shifts down, this is with 1/4 th of the gas pedal down.

I guess the computer was confused last night, because I was just barely accelerating when I floored it, it didnt know what to do. But about 10 seconds later when I stepped on it to test it out, it worked. My traction control was on, but come on, I was doing 55 mph on dry pavement, I should have checked the dash, I was watching the road instead.

Check your horn relay under the hood. Might be a loose contact on there. Much easier to check before you go taking the steering wheel apart.

Do these cars have ECUs that learn your driving habits? If so - unplug your battery for 30 min or so to reset it. Then drive vigorously for a few days. Your tranny might be set for economy vs power.

carguy16
11-24-04, 10:48 AM
Ok! My car did the same thing again, in the same spot. I was pulling out making a right turn, a Toyota solara was infront of me in the right lane, I shoot in the left lane and proceed to pass, I floor it, and the car SLOWLY, slowly accelerates. At this point im probably doing 30 or 40 mph. After the first time I floored it, I took my foot of the gas, waited a second, and floored it again, and nothing happens.

Next time, would shifting into over drive or another gear be help ful? If so, which one? Is over drive actually 3rd gear???