: 95 Sls Service Engine Light

ptscaddy1
11-22-04, 07:26 PM
Light came on tonight on the ride home from work. No current codes showed & also when I got it home & started it message flashed all monitored systems OK. Saw the post earlier about 96 STS & plugs & wires, could this be it, any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Hope it as simple as plugs & wires. Got the car in June with 103000 miles on it & have put on about 9K. Plugs & wires are probably original. No sign of missing or running rough. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ellives
11-22-04, 07:31 PM
Hmm -- with no codes and no symptoms it's tough to recommend a course of action. Probably best to run it a while longer before throwing parts at it.

Of course plugs and wires would be the first place to go if you want to start somewhere. If you intend to keep the car a while, you'll have to replace them eventually. Buy AC Delco stuff when you do it. Good luck.

Ells

Ranger
11-22-04, 09:31 PM
What light came on? If it was the SES light then there has to be a DTC stored. Are you sure you used the proper method to pull the codes and received the NO PCM CODES response?

ptscaddy1
11-24-04, 06:30 AM
Ranger to your comment about reading code right, this may be dumb ? but i gotta ask, should the engine be running or simply turn key on to accessories to take codes. This is what I did just turned key & got 3 codes all in history. Please clarify. Thanks. new to all this hi tech stuff.

oldgamer
11-24-04, 09:15 AM
You gotta post these history codes.

Ranger
11-24-04, 10:29 AM
Ranger to your comment about reading code right, this may be dumb ? but i gotta ask, should the engine be running or simply turn key on to accessories to take codes. This is what I did just turned key & got 3 codes all in history. Please clarify. Thanks. new to all this hi tech stuff.
It makes no difference, key on or engine running you'll get the codes. Any codes set will go into history after three ignition cycles with no faults detected. It's likely that one or all of those codes are what tripped the SES light.

ptscaddy1
11-24-04, 06:32 PM
Ranger thanks for the info. Code was P039 Torque converter Clutch/viscous converter clutch engaagement problem. Can anyone tell me what this means. It sounds like Major problem & Major $. Any info would be appreciated. My mechanic can't look at it till Friday. Thanks

Ranger
11-24-04, 10:33 PM
If it is a history code and all is well now, I would clear the codes and ignore it unless it happens again. Might just be a fluke.

Don't hold me to this but it is my understanding that it means the VCC/TCC is not engaging. Worst case is that you will run 200-300 RPM higher as the torque converter is not locking up and your fuel milage may suffer just a tad. It does not have to be fixed is my understanding. It's purpose is to increase fuel economy.

ptscaddy1
11-28-04, 07:12 AM
If it is a history code and all is well now, I would clear the codes and ignore it unless it happens again. Might just be a fluke.

Don't hold me to this but it is my understanding that it means the VCC/TCC is not engaging. Worst case is that you will run 200-300 RPM higher as the torque converter is not locking up and your fuel milage may suffer just a tad. It does not have to be fixed is my understanding. It's purpose is to increase fuel economy.

Ranger your info is basically right on. Got car back from garage on Fri. & mechanic said basically to roll the dice & just run it till it dies or trade it, my choice. In order to check problem you have to pull engine & you are looking at a lot of labor $. have put about 50 miles on sofar so good. Another ? about codes. Since I got car back there are 2 new codes showing. T072 Serial data link fault. & T077 that is not listed on DTC. Any additional info or insights would be appreciated. Thanks

Ranger
11-28-04, 10:27 AM
I think those codes indicate a loss of serial data (battery disconnected). Clear 'em and they probably won't come back.