: Easy Clutch Bleed / Flush "Homemade tool"

SevillianSTS
04-19-12, 03:24 PM
This tool worked out very well for me in bleeding my clutch fluid. I know some have installed the remote bleeder, but for those with the stock bleeder setup; try this.
Ever since I bled the fluid it shocks me how much better the shifter feels.
I drilled holes in an 8mm socket, and then used a nail for the "handle"
It is nice because the nail starts to bend once you have the bleeder tight. ( I am known for overtightening )

I've done the reservoir trick sucking out old fluid and refill a few times, but I still flushed out a lot of dirty dark fluid from the bleeder.

OneFast V
04-19-12, 08:17 PM
Where does the tubing for draining fluid go?

SevillianSTS
04-19-12, 09:41 PM
Ya so this is a little more messy; but i'd rather get a little clutch fluid on my arm than worry about getting a wrench up in there.

Anyways... it was quick easy and cheap, and worked perfectly for me. Sprayed off the drivers side Cat. with a little break-clean and all was good.

I was nervous as hell before actually doing this, just thought I'd share how I got in that tight spot.

atdeneve
04-21-12, 08:23 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just use a small open end wrench? No drilling required. No mess.

SevillianSTS
04-21-12, 10:17 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just use a small open end wrench? No drilling required. No mess.

Have you bled your clutch yet ? Its tight up there. I had a hard time getting a wrench up there. So I tried this, and it worked for me.
use it if you like.

My plan B was to cut a 8mm wrench in half so I could fit it up there easier

darkman
04-21-12, 10:47 AM
I like the idea of starting with 6-point socket first - you do not want to round it off getting it loose.

RADEoN
04-21-12, 06:48 PM
http://www.ted-kyte.com/3D/Pictures/Ratchet%20Set.jpg

that was what i used to get up there doe.

PISNUOFF
04-24-12, 10:19 AM
You can find a small 8mm wrench that is about 3-4" long. That's what I used before I installed a remote bleeder.

jmargo
04-29-12, 10:31 PM
Is it possible to instal a remote bleeder with the trans still installed ?

cam3439
04-30-12, 12:25 AM
nope

atdeneve
04-30-12, 02:12 PM
Have you bled your clutch yet ? Its tight up there. I had a hard time getting a wrench up there. So I tried this, and it worked for me.
use it if you like.

My plan B was to cut a 8mm wrench in half so I could fit it up there easier

Yes, I have. You can get a small wrench in there (small being the operative word) and slip a clear tube over the nozzle to bleed the fluid into a receptacle. No mess and no drilling or cutting of any of your existing tools is required. Of course, a remote bleeder is much more preferable.

SevillianSTS
05-01-12, 01:24 AM
Yes, I have. You can get a small wrench in there (small being the operative word) and slip a clear tube over the nozzle to bleed the fluid into a receptacle. No mess and no drilling or cutting of any of your existing tools is required. Of course, a remote bleeder is much more preferable.

I started out attempting with a 8mm wrench; not quite as short as the one pictured, but I didn't feel comfortable with it.
Paid like 2-3 bucks for the 8mm socket. I liked it because I didn't have to worry about over tightening; the nail had a little "give" as I open / close. I'm notorious for overtightening delicate parts that shouldn't be overtightened. =) Didn't have to worry about socket slipping or falling off either.
Really wasn't that messy either, just used a little brake clean on the drivers side CAT and all was clean.

I was just sharing an idea that worked for me, use it if you like.

Overd0s3
05-03-12, 12:17 AM
so I assume that it's easy to loosen with just two fingers on the nail like that?

SevillianSTS
05-03-12, 12:24 AM
so I assume that it's easy to loosen with just two fingers on the nail like that?

Yep, worked for me. Doesn't need to be super tight. I put the socket on the bleeder, than put the nail through it.

If it takes much more force than you can use with a few fingers you would want to proceed with caution regardless how you open the valve. I was considering paying the dealer $180 because of the fact that if messed up you have to drop the trans. But then I thought of this and got brave enough to do it myself.

Overd0s3
05-03-12, 12:28 AM
what do you mean mess up? You just loosen it 1/8 turn I thought

SevillianSTS
05-03-12, 12:47 AM
strip threads... break something... corrosion... I was warned to be gentle. and yes it only took 1/8 or so of a turn to open.

lollygagger8
05-03-12, 11:17 AM
Remote Bleeder FTMFW!