: 94 Eldorado engine revs at stops

remey
11-22-04, 05:19 PM
Hi all

I have a 94 eldorado with only 29,000 miles on it. I recently bought it and it has a problem. After I drive the car for about 25-30 minutes the engine will rev up to about 2,000 to 2,500 RPM's, but only at stops with my foot on the brake. Also, the words "service engine soon" flash across the digital dash. The car is attempting to accelerate but just jumps forward a few inches because my foot is on the brake. Other than that the car drives fine while accelerating or driving at a constant speed. If anyone has experienced this problem or knows a fix it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ranger
11-22-04, 09:02 PM
If the SES light is on then a DTC was stored. Pull the codes and it will likely give you/us a clue as to what the problem is. Cadillacs are pretty good at self diagnosing. Cadillac, heal thy self

remey
11-23-04, 02:14 PM
I'm sorry if this is a foolish question, but how do i pull these codes from the car? Thanks!

Spyder
11-23-04, 02:18 PM
Hold the OFF and WARMER button on the climate control until the screen flashes...then have a pen and paper ready to write them down...give us the history and the current codes

remey
11-23-04, 03:50 PM
okwill do tonight and post......thanks!!!

jsantang
11-25-04, 11:23 AM
i have the same problem with my 92 ETC. It surges at stops, and i have to really press hard on the brake. Any ideas what to look for??
thanks all