: Aftermarket differential cooler and warranty

sshu
04-18-12, 06:32 PM
I'm in the market for a CTS-V and after doing some research, I noticed that the V differential has cooling issues on the track. I don't plan to track the car often but when I do I don't want to run into limp mode. I know there are aftermarket solutions like D3 but I don't want it to affect my warranty. I know technically that the basic law is that if they can't prove that a certain aftermarket part caused the problem they can't void your warranty. I know certain mods like a tune would easily void your warranty but what about installing an aftermarket differential cooler. What are people's experience with this and should I be scared of installing the cooler and voiding my warranty? This car is my first choice but not being able to track the car at all is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks,

Scott

baabootoo
04-18-12, 07:54 PM
It seems to be a yes no issue. I have never had an issue after tracking many, many times, in heat over 100F. The hottest it got, with a heat gun, was 260. I'd do what you want to do, check it, then worry about a $2K accessory.

Dr. Design
04-18-12, 08:47 PM
Hello Scott,
The best thing you can do is check with your local dealership or service department and see what their take is on it. Some service advisers might be okay with it and some might not. All you can do is ask. If it makes you feel any better we supply Cadillac with the diff coolers for their V-lab cars.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I'm in the market for a CTS-V and after doing some research, I noticed that the V differential has cooling issues on the track. I don't plan to track the car often but when I do I don't want to run into limp mode. I know there are aftermarket solutions like D3 but I don't want it to affect my warranty. I know technically that the basic law is that if they can't prove that a certain aftermarket part caused the problem they can't void your warranty. I know certain mods like a tune would easily void your warranty but what about installing an aftermarket differential cooler. What are people's experience with this and should I be scared of installing the cooler and voiding my warranty? This car is my first choice but not being able to track the car at all is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks,

Scott

sshu
04-19-12, 11:25 AM
Hello Scott,
The best thing you can do is check with your local dealership or service department and see what their take is on it. Some service advisers might be okay with it and some might not. All you can do is ask. If it makes you feel any better we supply Cadillac with the diff coolers for their V-lab cars.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What is involved with the installation process of the D3 diff cooler? Is it easy to install and uninstall? Is there is any cutting or welding involved or is it simply a bolt on?

Thanks,

Scott

Dr. Design
04-19-12, 01:46 PM
Hello Scott,
The install is pretty straight forward. No cutting or welding required for install. Just a clean bolt on upgrade. Do you have a coupe/sedan/wagon?

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What is involved with the installation process of the D3 diff cooler? Is it easy to install and uninstall? Is there is any cutting or welding involved or is it simply a bolt on?

Thanks,

Scott

sshu
04-19-12, 04:18 PM
I'm in the market for a wagon but if i can't a clean wagon then a sedan. How many hours does it take to install/uninstall for a non-professional with basic tools?

Thanks for the help,

Scott

boplaw
04-19-12, 04:37 PM
It is a bad call that GM doesn't offer it as an option on the domestic units. I overheated mine during the last 2 sessions at a recent HPDE event with 70 degree air temps. It didn't do it until I turned on competitive mode.