: Towing Airstream trailer with '94 N*

Andrew M. Franklin
11-22-04, 04:22 PM
I am casually considering towing my 23' 3500lb Airstream Flying Cloud with my DeVille Northstar. Any cautions or suggestions? Thanks. Sincerely, Andy

ellives
11-22-04, 08:44 PM
Direct from the '94 De Ville owner's manual:

1. Weight of the trailer

How heavy can a trailer safely be?
It should never weigh more than 1,000 pounds (450 kg) total,
including the load.
It depends on how you plan to use your rig. For example, speed,

-----------------------------------------

Doesn't seem like it would be a good idea to tow with it. Towing puts a tremendous amount of strain on a vehicle. Heck I use my Yukon to do that kind of towing and it's not happy about it either... :)

Ells

dkozloski
11-23-04, 01:52 AM
Get one of those great Freightliner crewcab trucks, take the wheels off the Airstream and load it on the back, and look forward to many miles of care free traveling.

Spyder
11-23-04, 03:06 AM
I've got a great tow rig for sale if you're near me! :):) hehe 76 Ford F-100 390ci. I know I know, not supposed to sell crap on here, but I really want to get rid of it so I can put my 'ol Dodge in the garage!

Edahall
11-23-04, 12:40 PM
I am casually considering towing my 23' 3500lb Airstream Flying Cloud with my DeVille Northstar. Any cautions or suggestions? Thanks. Sincerely, Andy

I think you would be much better off towing with a truck with the biggest engine and transmission you can find. It's no fun to be broke down on the side of the road when you're on a trip. The northstar engine doesn't have the low rpm grunt of a truck engine so you'll be in 2nd gear at any hill and it'll burn more fuel than a big block truck motor.

Also, I can't imagine that the setup would be very stable. First, there's not much way to use a load leveling hitch and second, the p metric car tires don't do to much to help sway.

I tow a 26' Airstream with a turbo diesel suburban and I would not be happy towing it with anything less than this.

Andrew M. Franklin
11-23-04, 01:21 PM
Thanks much for the advice - The owner's manual seemed more like a legal disclaimer than anything else. Plus have seen vehicles of much lesser breeding than the Cadillac pulling smaller Airstreams - Even saw an ad that had a Ford Falcon pulling a 19-footer!! True, true - the biggest problem would be fitting a platform receiver to the frame. Thanks again. Andy

ellives
11-23-04, 01:30 PM
There's always the Escalade :) True it's not a diesel but it would do an admirable job I'm quite sure.

Ells