: High Beam Sensor

teja2
11-22-04, 03:06 PM
Does anyone know how to change the settings for the Intelibeam? Or can it be changed? It seems as if the highbeams do not dim until the approaching car is on top of you. :banghead:

Dressel
11-22-04, 05:15 PM
The high beams work very well either in dark straight roads or where there is alot of ambient light, as it does a good job sensing you are in the city. On curves, hills etc. they do seem to react a little closer than I would like them to also. In most cases I am pleased with them, it is just the few that tend to annoy me. To answer your question make sure your mirror is not blocked and your front windshield is clear, to my knowledge there is no distance or lite type adjustment.

Vrocks
11-23-04, 01:34 AM
teja2,
I'll look into this tomorrow (actually it's already Tuesday). The system works well more often than not, however the few times when it waits too long can be annoying.

Vrocks
11-25-04, 01:18 AM
So far no luck on how to disable it other than doing some actual harware changes. I'll try to get my hands on the manual tomrrow.

lev
12-01-04, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know how to change the settings for the Intelibeam? Or can it be changed? It seems as if the highbeams do not dim until the approaching car is on top of you. :banghead:

This really depends on what car you have.

I used to, million years ago, have 1983 Fleetwood Brougham. It had an auto-dim feature. I had to crank it to the most sensitive as otherwise it would just blink high-low beams all the time, annoying everybody.

But when I got out on country roads with no source of light but my headlight, high beams would come on religiously and switch to low beams as soon as any sign of the light came on.

Good luck.

teja2
12-03-04, 04:36 PM
This really depends on what car you have.

I used to, million years ago, have 1983 Fleetwood Brougham. It had an auto-dim feature. I had to crank it to the most sensitive as otherwise it would just blink high-low beams all the time, annoying everybody.

But when I got out on country roads with no source of light but my headlight, high beams would come on religiously and switch to low beams as soon as any sign of the light came on.

Good luck.

My mom had an 85 Fleetwood. It too had the sensitivity dial so you could change the hi/low beam distance. From looking at the STS, it doesn't seem like you have that ability. It is either on auto or manual. :disappoin

stkviper
12-21-04, 12:56 AM
The high beams work very well either in dark straight roads or where there is alot of ambient light, as it does a good job sensing you are in the city. On curves, hills etc. they do seem to react a little closer than I would like them to also. In most cases I am pleased with them, it is just the few that tend to annoy me. To answer your question make sure your mirror is not blocked and your front windshield is clear, to my knowledge there is no distance or lite type adjustment.
Ok Here you go,
Turning on and off your Intellibeam.
Press and hold the on/off button on the inside rearview mirror for about 3sec. The indicator on the mirror will flash 3 time to let you know the Intellibeam has been turned off. Once the system has been turned off it will stay off untill you press the on/off button 1 time to turn back on.

Playdrv4me
12-21-04, 04:29 AM
Wow, Caddies had smartbeam headlights WAAAY back then! That is a feature I thought for SURE was a recent invention. It seems like alot of the "new" innovations, are really bringing back older ones that werent ready for primetime back then... and maybe not quite yet.

Blue Chip
12-21-04, 10:44 AM
Besides having a switch on the mirror, Intellibeam also works only when your headlights are on "auto," rather than manual. I use Intellibeam all the time. It works very well. It's amazing how it immediately picks up the tail lights of a car even a good distance ahead of you so you don't annoy the driver with bright lights shining in his mirrors.

caddydaddy
12-21-04, 01:37 PM
Wow, Caddies had smartbeam headlights WAAAY back then! That is a feature I thought for SURE was a recent invention. It seems like alot of the "new" innovations, are really bringing back older ones that werent ready for primetime back then... and maybe not quite yet.

Even older than that! My former '76 Fleetwood and Deville had auto dimming headlights. I'm pretty sure it first was available in 1964???

sreno
12-21-04, 03:54 PM
Even older than that! My former '76 Fleetwood and Deville had auto dimming headlights. I'm pretty sure it first was available in 1964???

Would you believe it was in my '53 Oldsmobile? It was controlled by a unit about 5-6 inches tall that sat on the left side of the dashboard near the windshield.

for_wheels
12-30-04, 10:04 AM
I think that light detecting sensor for the Intelibeam system is on the front of the inside mirror. If the mirror isnít on the windshield button all the way, the sensor might not see head lights in time. You might try loosening the screw that holds the mirror in place and make sure the mirror is on all the way.

STSgirl
12-30-04, 10:51 PM
Would you believe it was in my '53 Oldsmobile? It was controlled by a unit about 5-6 inches tall that sat on the left side of the dashboard near the windshield.

YES! My father-in-law had this feature on a Toronado back in the 60's.

r0adawg
03-23-05, 07:26 PM
does anyone know where this sensor is located on an 85 fleetwood brougham????

thanks