: 96 Fleetwood, DRL

ShadowLvr400
11-22-04, 09:13 AM
Anyone know of a way to turn off the Daytime Running Lamps in my 96 Fleetwood? It's irritating to me.

92brougham
11-22-04, 10:13 AM
HEY GUYS!....I just printed out the wiring diagram for the entire headlight and DRL system...all i need is someone with some experience to tell me wat i have to cut or connect to kill this dam drl! i cant post the dam thing but ill email it to who ever can...thanks

DaveSmed
11-22-04, 05:53 PM
Send it over, ill try. drldiagram@smedco.net

GreyFox
11-22-04, 07:30 PM
Dave:
I would be interested in changing the DRLs from lighting the high beam to lilghting the parking lights/turn indicators. Can you see how to do that from the wiring diagram?

DaveSmed
11-22-04, 09:22 PM
That should be very easy to do. Which would you prefer? the half brightness parking lamps, or the full brightness Turn signal filaments like the corvettes and F-bodies use?

DaveSmed
11-22-04, 11:44 PM
Looks like theres a bit of a selection.

First, and in my opinion the easiest way that most people will use is to merely unplug the DRL relay located in some sort of relay center as shown below.

Alternatively, you could disconnect the DRL diode, located under the dash somewhere. it's a large heatsink, and its in the diagram below.

For the person interested in the turnsignal DRLs, cut the TAN wire coming from the DRL relay. Run a wire to somewhere around the steering column area, and split it and connect it to pin 87A on two relays. Jump the two wires going to the diode assembly, or cut the Dark green wire going to the DRL relay and run it to 12v+. Locate the turnsignal wires from the steering column. They should be yellow and dark green. Run one from the column to each relays pin 87. Connect pin 30 to the wire going to each turnsignal. Now locate the cornering lamp wires, should be orange and black. Orange should go to pin 85 on the relay with the yellow wire, and black should go on pin 85 of the relay with the dark green wire. Ground pin 86 on both relays.

NOTE: This is ASSUMING the cornering lamps work WITHOUT the lights on, like the Devilles do. If this is NOT the case, that will NOT work, and a little more wiring is necessary. Use a meter to verify each wire, do not go by color alone, there included as a guideline.

What that does is uses the DRL relay to light up the turnsignals. when one turnsignal is activated, the relay you installed disconnects that turnsignal from the DRL relay, and connects it to the turnsignal switch via input from the cornering lights. Looks like it might be a neat look, and it would definitely stand out. Here's one with just the parking lamps on, the turn signal filaments would be brighter, and not have the side markers on.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac/fleetwood/93flt.jpg

Big thanks to 92Brougham for the diagrams!

BeelzeBob
11-23-04, 11:11 AM
Would someone mind making this a "new post" in the "Tech Tips" section? I'd move this over but it's a 'question' thread and it's actually good that way in the Fleetwood section...

92brougham
11-24-04, 03:16 PM
no problem dave! lemme know if you guys need diagrams on anything else! i have the mitchells info cd and all data cd with everything in them!

DaveSmed
11-24-04, 03:24 PM
Ill be glad to make a post over in the tech tips. But before I do, I would like to clarify on the cornering light issue.... Do they work regardless of wether or not the lights are on like Devilles? That is an important part of my Amber DRL mod. If not, no biggie, just need some more relays.

Those Mitchell CDs are very handy to have, Thanks for the offer!

ocjmakaveli
11-24-04, 04:26 PM
cant you take off a fuse that should do it without disrupting the headlights althoguh i dont have drl but most have a fuse of some sort either in the car or under the hood.

BeelzeBob
11-24-04, 07:08 PM
Thanks, Dave! Much appreciated!

DaveSmed
11-24-04, 08:42 PM
cant you take off a fuse that should do it without disrupting the headlights althoguh i dont have drl but most have a fuse of some sort either in the car or under the hood.

Unfortunately no, as the DRL diode is fed off the headlight main circut breaker.

BlackLac96
11-28-04, 12:28 AM
Hello,
Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the Traction control system? I would appreciate it!! Thanks
J

92brougham
11-29-04, 03:23 PM
ok one more question......if i remove the entire drl relay, and tape up the ends....would the headlights come on automatically with the twilight-sentenial module???...i wouldnt have to turn the headlights on manually do i? cause i like having the twilight sentenial do it.

GreyFox
11-29-04, 06:21 PM
Dave, unfortunately it's not as simple as it might be with the DeVilles. :banghead:
In the FWB, when the headlights are off, the side marker-illumination light does not come on with the turn indicators. When the headlights are on(either because you turned them on or because the ambient light sensor turned them on), then and only then do the side marker-illumination lights come on. So, can I get you to return to the drawing board to refine your excellent instructions?
THANKS!! :worship:

DaveSmed
11-29-04, 10:46 PM
Ah, Not a big deal, requires the addition of two more relays. I will try to update this with the coresponding wire colors (though you shouldn't go by them, guidelines only!)

Anyway, the feed wire for the cornering lights should get cut. Take the side going to the steering column, and connect that to a convenient source of power. (will not be high current draw) Take the car side of the wire you cut, and wire that to pin 30 on both relays. Run a wire from the other relays' pins 85 (the one from the cornering light switch in the column) to the two new relays pins 85. (keep in mind which is right and left through all of this...) Ground pins 86 like you did with the other two relays. Now connect the wires that go to the cornering lamps to the new relays pins 87. Done!

What this does is use the switch in the steering column as a trigger. Not only does it disconnect the constant 12v DRL feed to the front amber lights and connect them to the turnsignals when the corresponding light is selected, but it also triggers one of the the two "new" relays to connect the parking light feed that orignally went to the steering column switch to the corresponding cornering lamp.

Review----

All the relays should have pins 86 run to ground.

We will divide them into Left and Right, two relays each.

The two relays fed off the left side of the cornering lamp switch are the Left control, the two off the right side of the switch, the right. (makes sense.) It may help to get some white-out and draw a L and a R on the corresponding relays.

Ok, now on the two relays that control the front amber lights (a left and a right) the Common pin (number 30 on a std. automotive relay) gets connected to the corresponding lights themselves. The Normally closed pin (pin 87a) on each relay gets connected to the 12v from the DRL relay. The Normally Open pins get connected to the wire that used to go to the indivual FRONT lights themselves. (taillights are different!)

Now the two that control the cornering lights. Remember we cut the wire from the parking light relay that went to the cornering light switch, and moved it to constant power? Well we take the wire and run it to the Common pin (pin 30) on both Left and Right cornering light relays. Now take the wires that used to go to the cornering lights and run them to the Normally Open pins (pins 87) on the corresponding relays.

----

Sounds like a lot, but it really isnt that difficult.
Verify each wire with a meter or a test light! It would suck to accidently do that to say, your taillights. Also, these connections give you a chance to change things around to suit your tastes. one thing that may be neat is to use the DRL Diode you bypassed to drop voltage to the cornering lights, so anytime the parking lights are on the cornering lights as well at a low intensity, but when you turn, the cornering light on that side switches to full brightness.

Relays are fun. :thumbsup:

GreyFox
11-30-04, 11:17 AM
:bouncy: Dave, I'm seriously impressed :bouncy: Are you a retired GM electrical engineer?
If I understand you correctly, I need to acquire from somewhere 2 relays for each side, therefore totaling 4 new relays. Any old relay? Or should I get the part(s) from GM identical to the DRL relay depicted in your illustration above? I have to tell you I feel pretty foolish having to ask a question as basic as this to somebody who knows as much about this as you.
Anyway, thanks again!

DaveSmed
11-30-04, 02:33 PM
Pretty much any relay is fair game, my favorite method is going to the junkyard and hitting all of the Cadillac relay centers. :yup: Not many cars have more relays in one easily accesable spot. You understood correctly, 4 relays total, two on each side.

Heh, wish I was retired at 17.... No, I just happen to know a bit about cars and electrical systems. That GM electrical engineer position sounds nice though, maybe one day! :thumbsup: :D

92brougham
12-09-04, 05:15 PM
okay guys...good news and bad news...i finally opened up the botton panel and found the relay for the drl...however..it is not in the same location shown in the picture...it is actually on top of the big rectangular module on the upper left side and on the right is the rap wiper relay.....they are both on top and nothing is on the left....

it took me a few minutes to pull it out due the horrible positioning its in. i finally pulled it out and turned my twilight sentenial switch knob to the OFF position and started up the car and put it in drive....and the dam lights came on! these &^)%&^$$%#%#@^@)(*&@ DRLs! i hate the dam thing...i just cant get rid of it! can anyone please tell me wat to do...

yes i kno it is the right relay because i looked at the wires connected to the relay and it was the same exact colors shown in the wiring diagram. there must be something else...what else do i have to do? i TRULEY HATE THESE DRLs...i like having my lights come on at night and turn off in the morning..please let me know guys! dave, i know ur good at this!

justin

GreyFox
12-09-04, 07:33 PM
Justin
Are you sure it was the DRLs that came on? It could have been the regular headlights. The Twilight Sentinel only creates a delay in turning the lights off to let you walk from your car to a door or something with some light. You still have a component that will turn your headlights on automatically if it senses that it is dark enough outside. I have problems with this - it thinks it is dark enough here around 2:00 PM. I think I have a bad ambient light sensor.

92brougham
12-09-04, 07:59 PM
Yea bro...i made sure also...i looked at the wire colors and it only consisted of the wires colors shown on the wiring diagram...exact! and the twilight sentenial is not fully a delay mechanism although it does do that...it turns on the device which turns ur lights on automatically depending on the amount of light avaible outside....the twighlight sentenial switch turns it on and controls delay of lights ...once its off...u can only turn it on manually or slide it to the right to turn ur lights on if they are needed depending on the light....trust me...ive been through 3 broughams each with the feature....let me know if someone can figure out wats wrong...today was cloudy but i dont think that was why there was still enuff light out

DaveSmed
12-09-04, 11:53 PM
What the?! Hmm.... If its in a different spot, different revision maybe? Anyway, want to try for the Diode? above the pedals and its a heatsink about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Thats puzzling. with the relay out, to the DRLs still shut off with the parking brake?

SupaFly
12-10-04, 11:24 AM
Hey, I need to ask a question about the side corner lamps. May I ask it here?

GreyFox
12-10-04, 09:34 PM
Yea bro...i made sure also...i looked at the wire colors and it only consisted of the wires colors shown on the wiring diagram...exact! and the twilight sentenial is not fully a delay mechanism although it does do that...it turns on the device which turns ur lights on automatically depending on the amount of light avaible outside....the twighlight sentenial switch turns it on and controls delay of lights ...once its off...u can only turn it on manually or slide it to the right to turn ur lights on if they are needed depending on the light....trust me...ive been through 3 broughams each with the feature....let me know if someone can figure out wats wrong...today was cloudy but i dont think that was why there was still enuff light out

You mean to tell me that if I turn off my Twilight Sentinel, that will be the end of my headlights coming on automatically? :hmm: I didn't think so. But I'll test it tonight!

DaveSmed
12-10-04, 09:41 PM
Hey, I need to ask a question about the side corner lamps. May I ask it here?

Couldn't hurt. What's the problem?

SupaFly
12-11-04, 02:02 AM
Well, 1 set of bulbs in the corner lamps do not work and it's not the bulbs, that is one bulb from each side. ???

GreyFox
12-13-04, 09:06 AM
You mean to tell me that if I turn off my Twilight Sentinel, that will be the end of my headlights coming on automatically? :hmm: I didn't think so. But I'll test it tonight!
As I suspected, turning off the Twilight Sentinel has absolutely nothing to do with the headlights automatically coming on as soon as I puth the FWB in gear. :banghead:

DaveSmed
12-13-04, 03:32 PM
I would try for the diode. With the relay out, does anything else in the vincinity of that power center click when the DRLS come on?

One set of bulbs.... Would you be referring to the amber ones or the bright clear ones?

CustomCaddys
01-11-07, 04:03 PM
did anyone ever figure this out? or is this really a dead end?
i unplugged my DRL Relay and Also unplugged my Diode above the steering column... I CANNOT GET RID OF THE DRLs!!! 95 FWB by the way. TIA

Barrister_07101
01-12-07, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the Info. Even though I have a '94. I may work on having the parking lights on during the day anyway ... I like the look!

DaveSmed
01-12-07, 04:04 PM
Anybody have some decent wiring diagrams of the headlamp/drl circuts???