: What to do about front licence plate...

jeph054
04-15-12, 07:18 PM
So I'm not sure if this should be in the appearance thread but i'm asking it here. So I bought my car in IL which requires cars to have a front licence plate. I live in KY which does not require it. So I took off the plate holder and i did not know that they srew the holder directly into the front bumper! Does anyone have any ideas how to make these holes less noticeable? I'm not really interested in replacing the front bumper facia nor speading the money on body work. I was hoping for a relitively cheap fix....:thumbsup:

mstrjon32
04-16-12, 01:26 AM
Never used them myself (nor would I on the V, since some clown drilled not two, but three asymmetric holes in my bumper...and I need a whole new fascia...if only it weren't a continent away), but maybe worth a try: http://www.bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

jeph054
04-16-12, 10:25 AM
Thanks mstrjon32 thats exactly what i was hoping/looking for.

Andringa
04-16-12, 12:08 PM
I pulled my front plate off when I got my V as well. I just went to the local autoparts store and found some plugs that fit. All the clips that my local store had were black plasitc (Which matched really well), so the bumperplugs would work better if you have a red or grey car.

Anyways, I think I paid $2.50 or something like that.

EdmundGTP
04-16-12, 01:58 PM
Go to home depot or lowes in the fastener aisle.
Get plastic hole plugs for 0.188" diameter or 0.250" diameter holes.
Paint the plugs with automotive spray (color-matched to vehicle), and hit them with a few heavy layers of clearcoat.
Drill the holes in your bumper to match the size of plug that you bought.
Push plugs into holes.
Done.

google "Do it yourself bumper plugs" for further instruction/details/pics/etc.

alradco
04-17-12, 05:59 PM
That's a great idea. Thanks.

EdmundGTP
04-17-12, 08:04 PM
If you really want to go the extra mile, hit them with some polishing compound with a soft pad on an orbital machine real quick after you clear coat them until they match the "gloss" of the bumper so they blend in better.

EDIT: Try to do this before you pop them into the bumper cover.

jeph054
04-18-12, 04:37 PM
Oops...! i already bought the bumper plugs. Just as well. I just got slammed at work with no light at the end of the tunnel so it looks like i wouldn't have the time anyway...