: ****ing pollen!

smackdownCTSV
04-15-12, 03:38 PM
Anyway to combat this? I already had my car washed, twice, this week. Any type of teflon spray to use so it doesn't stick?

JOEYCTS-V
04-15-12, 03:40 PM
Drive REALLY fast! The next 2 months are going to be horrible for pollen. I washed my car this morning and it looks filthy already. Good thing I garage the car.

smackdownCTSV
04-15-12, 04:17 PM
I'm on vacay, so I won't have a garage for another few weeks. But even driving really fast doesn't make it fly off, this pollen is sticky. Maybe I should get it waxed and then I could use my microfiber duster. Some teflon spray like they introduced for the wheels to repel brake dust would be nice for the paint. http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=33&main_group=3&category_index=wheel

JetFuelOnly
04-30-12, 03:43 PM
California duster no good for this? I live in the desert and a layer of dust and sand after a day is how it goes. After a week a clean black car is a slightly different color. I battle it with daily California dusting followed up with a detail spray wipe down.

DangFoo
04-30-12, 03:54 PM
I use the Detail Spray with a Terry Cloth (100% cotton). If the pollen is very light, like a dust, then I also have a California Duster that I picked-up. My V stays garaged, but surprising how the pollen still finds its way onto the hood and every other surface that's even remotely horizontal.

Darnell
04-30-12, 06:34 PM
I'd be to worried about marring my paint. You can wash off pollen, but fine scratches take some work to remove. I guess you might could get away with a microfiber and some quick detailer, but I wouldn't risk it. Of course my car is black so it is a little different.

thebigjimsho
05-01-12, 10:52 PM
California Duster is fine...

Wannago
05-02-12, 09:20 AM
Anyway to combat this? I already had my car washed, twice, this week. Any type of teflon spray to use so it doesn't stick?

Last year I power polished my car then applied C-Quartz...we don't have major pollen problems here, but I'm sure the pollen would have a hard time sticking to the c-quartz. PLUS, it adds a beautiful depth and shine to the finish.

getbit
05-08-12, 11:57 AM
C-quartz made a big difference on my car...made my exhaust tips much easier to clean as well.

TriTexan
05-09-12, 02:34 PM
The local car wash guys here in Houston that I've seen washing high end cars spritz the car down with something...I'm assuming some kind of light detergent or wetting agent, they spray the car off with plain water and blast it with air to dry. They use a professional dryer - like a shop vac in reverse with some kind of element to warm the air...but I figure your leaf blower or something would work fine. It takes some effort, but they say if the car isn't "dirty" but just covered in pollen, this removes it without have to excessively rub or wipe the finish.

As others noted - keeping the finish as highly polished as you can will help, too.

Hmmm...new paint color for 2013 - Pollenator Yellow?

JoeS823
05-09-12, 06:55 PM
I just spray wax (turtle wax ice) after everytime I wash my car this way the finish is always slick, and when it gets some dust or pollen I just use the California car duster, thing works so good I can go a week without actually washing my car.

TriTexan
05-09-12, 07:38 PM
How about brake dust? Is there a good brush or duster to help keep them clean between washings? Something I could do fairly often that's quick and easy and knocks at least some of the massive dust buildup off...seems the same problem we have with pollen applies to the brake dust as well. That is, unless you have the black wheels!

JoeS823
05-09-12, 08:05 PM
I just keep a microfiber rag in my trunk and clean the wheels often so there's no major buildup

cruiser68
05-09-12, 09:41 PM
Brake dust is ridiculous :) I could clean mine every day.....but I won't :) I like the microfiber rag idea though! I have also found the clear coated polished wheels scratch really easily. I have tons of tiny swirl marks in them,

RapidRob
05-09-12, 10:27 PM
^^^ - I've found that CA Dusters make it easy to clean any kind of dust off. When it eventually starts to turn black, it's time to replace it with a new duster. At about $15.00 a pop, they aren't too bad, and for me, last for about 3-4 months of almost daily dustings before needing to be replaced.

Rob

JoeS823
05-09-12, 11:57 PM
The dirtier they get the better they clean, I've had mine for over a year now.