: whine under hood

Wingsfan4life
04-15-12, 03:10 PM
Ok guys and gals, did some research on this first...05 V...changed starter and developed a intermittent whine, I removed serpentine and it goes away...powersteering fluid is a lil brown and am going to change this later today or tomorrow...took idler and tensioner off and spun between fingers and tensioner seemed a lil louder than I thought it should...now I did notice that the powersteering reservoir was bubbling while cap on..is this normal?

TheLostDriver
04-16-12, 02:21 PM
Hmmm I have no input but mine started doing the exact same thing after I changed my starter as well

howanicm
04-16-12, 04:04 PM
Is it constant? My waterpump was about to go out and had a whine between 2and 4thousand rpm. When i changed it it went away.

Wingsfan4life
04-17-12, 07:05 PM
Water pump is new...and its intermittent, I thought alternator, but when its whining, the volts don't drop..flushed power steering pump yesterday, *scratching head*

darkman
04-17-12, 07:29 PM
Have you changed the power steering fluid yet? Has the chain tensioner ever been replaced?

howanicm
04-17-12, 08:54 PM
Maybe someone installed a hidden supercharger when you were sleeping...Does your car feel faster?:D

Wingsfan4life
04-17-12, 09:09 PM
Chain tensioner? IDK, interesting..I'll have to do sme checking...and yea it always feel faster when I'm at 3500 rpm in 4th on the freeway...lol

----------

And darkman yes, did it yesterday and it was like burnt oil, my buddy told me I should do it again in a couple weeks...he didn't like the smell of it..it may be a rack problem?

darkman
04-17-12, 09:22 PM
Chain tensioner? IDK, interesting..I'll have to do sme checking...and yea it always feel faster when I'm at 3500 rpm in 4th on the freeway...lol

----------

And darkman yes, did it yesterday and it was like burnt oil, my buddy told me I should do it again in a couple weeks...he didn't like the smell of it..it may be a rack problem?

Well I managed within a single post to demonstrate that I can neither read or type - I missed your post on the power steering fluid change, and I meant to type "belt tensioner" not chain tensioner.

Wingsfan4life
04-18-12, 01:57 PM
Darkman, I did pull the tensioner, and the idler off...the idler spun good no noise, but the tensioner kinda sounded like I could hear bearings a lil...I did buy a new tensioner pulley but have not put it on yet...so far yesterday one time I heard the mysterious whine...nothing today, its only a $18 pulley but if I really don't need it I wanna bring it back...