: Are these motor mounts bad ? *Pictures attached; Sway Bar ? Also.

SevillianSTS
04-15-12, 03:33 PM
I beleive I've heard people say that when you see residue around mounts they have failed.
Will the dealer replace these under the 5 year warranty ?

I just wanted to confirm this is what the residue looks like and not just something else that just ran down the mounts.

Also, is there supposed to be a gap between the sway-bar bushing and sway bar.

CadzillaTN
04-15-12, 06:25 PM
Those mounts are shot and you need sway bar bushings

SevillianSTS
04-15-12, 08:40 PM
How would you bring this up to the dealer ? I don't really have any terrible symptoms other than yes it does shake a little at shut-down.

He's gonna tell me that nothing seems wrong with the car. But yes I figured that fluid on the mounts meant they were bad and they do look dried out / starting to crack.

Will the 5yr powertrain warranty cover motor mounts ?

The sway bar bushings are fairly easy to do myself right ?

darkman
04-15-12, 08:46 PM
Tell the dealer that you looked under the car because of the shakey shutdown and noted the leakage from the motor mounts. The fact that we have liquid-filled mounts is hardly a secret.

The sway bar bushings are an easy do-it-yourself task.

CTSV_510
04-15-12, 09:21 PM
Tell the dealer that you looked under the car because of the shakey shutdown and noted the leakage from the motor mounts. The fact that we have liquid-filled mounts is hardly a secret.

The sway bar bushings are an easy do-it-yourself task.

Agreed, the service writer at my dealership (years ago) was very skeptical when I complained about the shakey shutdown and told me it was a high performance motor so it will be that way. Then they called me and said, yep, the driver side mount is toast. I don't think you'll have a problem, it is extremely common on these cars.

Tackelbarry
04-15-12, 09:51 PM
What is the warranty? I have a 2004 with 47,000 on it.

CadzillaTN
04-15-12, 10:15 PM
How would you bring this up to the dealer ? I don't really have any terrible symptoms other than yes it does shake a little at shut-down.

He's gonna tell me that nothing seems wrong with the car. But yes I figured that fluid on the mounts meant they were bad and they do look dried out / starting to crack.

Will the 5yr powertrain warranty cover motor mounts ?

The sway bar bushings are fairly easy to do myself right ?

Just say, "my motor mounts are busted, I need new ones".

You can have them jack up the engine while its on a lift and shine a light under the heat shield, if they are split you might see it. They might be able to feel it as well. The problem is the weight of the engine keeps pressure on the part that splits. The highest point where they can split is hidden by the heat shield, so they often get denied on claims because they 'look' fine.

You could always offer to help with the labor charge if they are not busted, but it looks like the fluid has stained the heat shields..

I would try another dealer too, if you have time. 98% of them are clueless in regards to V1s.

SevillianSTS
04-15-12, 10:30 PM
What is the warranty? I have a 2004 with 47,000 on it.

I beleive all GM vehicles sold in 2007 came with a 5 year 100k mile powertrain warranty.