Cadillac Owners Forum banner

smoke from the dipstick tube?

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Hello all!

Great forum w/lots of good info. I own an '11 V sedan which has about 15K on it, i bought it used w/about 12k on it about 5 mo's ago. Today when i was getting gas i checked the oil and when I pulled the dipstick out a few small whisps of oil smoke came out of the dipstick tube. Is this fairly normal (I can't say that I've experienced it with other vehicles) or is it something I should be worried about? The car is not using a lot of oil (about 1/2 quart in the 3000 miles I have put on it) and has what I think is pretty normal oil pressure 30-35 psi at idle and about 40-45 cruising after the engine is warmed up and it runs consistently at about 210 degrees.

Thanks!

#3 ·
nah, it wasn't running. Just shut it off, pumped the gas & then pulled the stick, wasn't a lot of smoke by any means just a few whisps coming out. I live pretty far from the dealer but I'm gonna bring it it soon to have the car checked & serviced and I'll be sure to ask them about it.

I don't know if the diff oil has ever been changed (as I've seen recommended) is that something I should definitely have them do?

#13 ·
nah, it wasn't running. Just shut it off, pumped the gas & then pulled the stick, wasn't a lot of smoke by any means just a few whisps coming out. I live pretty far from the dealer but I'm gonna bring it it soon to have the car checked & serviced and I'll be sure to ask them about it. I don't know if the diff oil has ever been changed (as I've seen recommended) is that something I should definitely have them do?
Good morning halonut,

This looks like a good plan if you aren't too concerned about the smoke you saw - I am unable to provide technical advice, but the feedback from forum members seems to be unanimous. If you wanted to give us an update after you go in for a service visit, that'd be great! In the meantime, if we can assist with anything don't hesitate to send us a private message here on the forum with any other questions you may have.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

#12 ·
When I was much younger and serviced my own cars, I would see some smoke billowing out after running the car briefly and then opening the oil FILL CAP (which would be equivalent to your dipstick incident) often and it was never an issue.
When I check the oil on my lawn tractor with the engine warm, I often see smoke billowing, not that I'm comparing our Vs to a lawn tractor.
It's probably fine. Wouldn't worry too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.