: Weird 1st gear shifting issue

raguncajn
04-14-12, 03:53 PM
I took a nice back roads ride today for almost 100 miles. I was really driving it hard and shifting hard. I never power shifted, but I was shifting as fast as I could. When I got back into town I discovered I am having a weird problem with first gear now.

I can shift into first from a stop, or down shift from any gear, but once I am in first gear, it will not come out of gear until I stop. No grinding sounds, it just is stuck. Once I stop it will come right out. I've tried to rev match 2nd, but that didn't help at all. If I start off in second the car shifts fine through all the gears. Could this be a clutch problem, or did I break something in the transmission?

darkman
04-14-12, 04:10 PM
It sounds like clutch drag to me. If that is the case it wil "cure" (temporarily) itself once it completely cools down.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/256122-clutch-lockout.html#post2927214

raguncajn
04-14-12, 07:48 PM
It sounds like clutch drag to me. If that is the case it wil "cure" (temporarily) itself once it completely cools down.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/256122-clutch-lockout.html#post2927214

Thanks Darkamn, I'll see if letting it set overnight will help. If not I'll start down the diagnostic checks for the clutch. Generally, does clutch lock out mean that the transmission is stuck in a gear, stuck in neutral, or grinding when trying to shift?

darkman
04-14-12, 08:17 PM
Thanks Darkamn, I'll see if letting it set overnight will help. If not I'll start down the diagnostic checks for the clutch. Generally, does clutch lock out mean that the transmission is stuck in a gear, stuck in neutral, or grinding when trying to shift?

"Clutch lock out" was just a term used in that other thread. Clutch drag means that the clutch system is not able to completely disengage. My thinking that is when you come to a stop you can shift out of first gear because although the clutch is not completely disengaged it is not engaged enough to pull the weight of the car. Once you are rolling the dragging clutch together with the cars momentum keeps the transmission "loaded."

Also, it should not have to cool over night, an hour so will do. A dragging clutch gets hot everytime you sit still with the car stopped, in gear, with clutch pedal depressed because of flywheel/clutch disc friction.

And if nothing on list fixes the problem, it can be a transmission problem. The transmission trouble shooting chart however, starts with eliminating the clutch as the problem.