: Transfer case fluid, Which one?

grisik
04-14-12, 03:49 PM
I have a 2007 ESV and I want to change the transfer case fluid. The owners manual says to use manual transmission fluid. I have looked through many of the threads here on the forum. Alot of them say to use Dextron 3 or 4. There is a large difference between manual trans fluid and Dextron 3/4. Then the question of the blue GM fluid came up. I need a good answer of what needs to go in the transfer case without screwing it up. Can anyone help me out? If it helps I have a 4485 transfer case I believe. Thanks for all the help in advance.

K9Caddy
04-14-12, 05:02 PM
Here you go...
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2007+CADILLAC+ESCALADE%20E SV+9

grisik
04-14-12, 05:21 PM
Here you go...
http://www.amsoil.com/mygarage/vehiclelookup.aspx?url2=2007+CADILLAC+ESCALADE%20E SV+9

I looked at that. It says ATF. That doesn't explain to me why the manual says manual trans fluid.

K9Caddy
04-14-12, 05:42 PM
There is a "standard" that needs to be meet. The Amsoil is going to be "above" the recommended standard. There is not much of a difference between the two.

In better terms, it's all "hydraulic fluid". The ATF just has more friction modifiers, etc... You can even use ATF in your power steering pump as well.

jdubh25
04-14-12, 07:52 PM
Im not very car savy when it comes to fixing things, usually just take it to the dealer and pay the high price :/ but what is the difference between transfer case and differential? Is it easy to change these out myself, I need to be better at doing my own maintance and save money. Thanks

grisik
04-15-12, 08:58 PM
Im not very car savy when it comes to fixing things, usually just take it to the dealer and pay the high price :/ but what is the difference between transfer case and differential? Is it easy to change these out myself, I need to be better at doing my own maintance and save money. Thanks

It's really very simple with a little bit of mechanical knowledge and a some research in the Cadillac Forums. I ordered Royal Purple manual trans fluid off www.americanmuscle.com. It was only $13.99 a quart with free shipping. I'm satisfied this will do the trick.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-16-12, 12:50 PM
I looked at that. It says ATF. That doesn't explain to me why the manual says manual trans fluid.
Good morning, grisik!

Would you mind clarifying for me a bit about where you found the fluid information in your manual? Sorry for the confusion! I just checked, and found that page 528 of your 2007 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV Owners Manual recommends "DEXRONŽ-III Automatic Transmission Fluid. Look for 'Approved for the H-Specification,'” for your transfer case fluid.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

kkalligher
04-19-12, 08:33 PM
My owners manual for my 2007 Escalade Transfer Case on page 534 says:

Manual Transmission Fluid
(GM Part No. U.S. 88861800,
in Canada 88861801).

I am trying to find out which transfer case I have, but nobody seems to know how to identify the variances.
Ken

----------

Man, I have been trying to find out how to identify what transfer case I have. How do you know you have a 4485?

cadmanchris
04-19-12, 10:29 PM
Last 8 of vin number and I'll check which transfer case you have.

kkalligher
04-20-12, 07:29 PM

Thanks! 7R239444

----------

Thanks! 7R239444

cadmanchris
04-20-12, 08:22 PM
You have the NR3 transfer case which is the Borg Warner.

It takes Dextron 6 (trans fluid)

kkalligher
04-20-12, 09:23 PM
Wow, thanks, been trying to find out and no leads. That was fantastic, thank you so much.

cadmanchris
04-21-12, 12:03 AM
No problem!