: Need help with header install

WVESV
04-13-12, 06:11 PM
I am trying to install a set of long tube Kooks with a catted Y-Pipe and cannot get any of the manifold to head bolts out or bust loose the exhaust to manifold bolts. I have a lot of corrosion on the bolts that attach the manifolds to the heads and don't want to strip the bolts. The exhaust to manifold bolts appear to be in decent shape but they won't budge. Any tips for getting these out?

Anyone know of a good shop in the Northern Virginia area I could just take the vehicle to aand have them do it? I guess I should have researched this a little before I spent $1100 on parts I can't install or get installed.

hcvone
04-14-12, 12:19 AM
I am trying to install a set of long tube Kooks with a catted Y-Pipe and cannot get any of the manifold to head bolts out or bust loose the exhaust to manifold bolts. I have a lot of corrosion on the bolts that attach the manifolds to the heads and don't want to strip the bolts. The exhaust to manifold bolts appear to be in decent shape but they won't budge. Any tips for getting these out?

Anyone know of a good shop in the Northern Virginia area I could just take the vehicle to aand have them do it? I guess I should have researched this a little before I spent $1100 on parts I can't install or get installed.

CRC makes a product called Freeze-Off, been using it to take 55 year old nuts and bolts off and the stuff is amazing.

LeftLane
04-14-12, 11:36 PM
let the truck warm up for 10 mins and give it 10 mins to cool down some and try to loosen the bolts. I would make sure that all the bolts break free before you start taking them out.