: Towing my V - any recommendations

-CTS-V-
04-13-12, 05:03 PM
I am about to embark on a cross country move from SoCal to the east coast. I am driving a moving truck and towing my V on an open trailer. I was curious if anyone has had any experiences with towing their V. As it is I don't have enough ground clearance and will have to use some wood pieces to gain some extra clearance. I wanted to get any ideas to protect my paint for the long journey. I don't have the time to cover the entire car in painters tape but any suggestions would be great. Nose to the front or back it on? Should I attempt to protect the windshield? etc?

Thanks!

cruiser68
04-13-12, 05:09 PM
Hopefully you are towing on a flatbed trailer. Otherwise I would blow the money on a car cover at least for some protection. I would go nose first mainly for less drag. I towed a Cavalier Z24 in my younger years and used a cheap cover. Didn't notice anything but it wasn't exactly my pride and joy if you know what I mean :)

Chrispy
04-13-12, 05:16 PM
Does the trailer have a debris shield on it? I'd use painters tape on the front of the car and pillers AND buy a car cover.

-CTS-V-
04-13-12, 06:19 PM
no debris cover and it is on a full trailer and not a tow dolly where one set of wheels rolls on the ground. I am just concerned with excessive rubbing if I put a car cover on. It will be 44 hours worth of wind rubbing a cover on the car.

cruiser68
04-13-12, 09:04 PM
Second the secure mounting. Definitely chains to the frame if possible. I've seen the tire hoops allow significant movement.

Like the painters tape over the front too if you have time. Also look for terrycloth or microfiber inner lining on the cover. Haven't shopped for a cover in a while but there must be decent options to protect the paint. If a tall moving truck, it should keep in the slipstream pretty well if the tongue of the trailer isn't too long.

Didn't think about the clearance issue. Standard ramps are useless now that you mention it. Quite a pain to have to build a ramp but what can you do. Well worth it in the long run to think of everything you can in advance. Playing the Monday morning quarterback sucks when you realized you trashed the finish on your fine ride!!!!

atcbrownie
04-13-12, 09:30 PM
I would not use a car cover. If any dirt gets between the cover and the paint it will destroy your paint job in a hurry. I have seen pics on the mustang forum I go to of a guy who used a cover while towing and it wrecked his paint.

jb_bgg
04-13-12, 10:31 PM
Definitely no cover; it will do more damage than good. It's even worse on gelcoat towing a boat. Saw many people learn the hard way on that. Clear bra would be best permanent option on the front if you don't have it yet. I've used the film use for wrapping pallets and furniture to wrap the tower on my boat when towing (lights, speakers, etc.) to keep all the bugs and crap off everything. Thought about trying it on a front bumper for bug infested road trips during the summer but haven't done it yet.

-CTS-V-
04-13-12, 11:08 PM
some great suggestions guys, I think I will need to get some wood planks... only have about 8 feet worth right now.

jb_bgg
04-14-12, 12:52 PM
Another option is using visqueen or something similar that auto mfg's use to wrap new cars when put on open trucks for delivery. www.globalplasticsheeting.com may be a place to start.

thebigjimsho
04-14-12, 02:17 PM
I would do painters tape as well...

BWhite58
04-14-12, 10:31 PM
I wish I could flat tow my coupe behind my motorhome . Cadillac says no .

thebigjimsho
04-15-12, 02:26 AM
I'd spend the money on a trailer over ever flat towing these cars...

1madstsv
04-15-12, 11:57 AM
I'm not licensed for ca our I could make you a good deal to hall it for you and save you the hassle. Its all I do all day every day. So if you want to drive it to texas I could hall it east from there. As for paint protection if it's behind a u-hall truck they sit low and should not get to much road debris on the car. Not like a pickup truck. If the car is a m6 you should let it in nutral with parking brake on. Other wise the gears will be hitting each other every time you hit the brakes our a hard bump. I don't care how tight you think you have it it will still move. Check your straps every time you stop. And stop after the first hour /60 miles and check the straps the will come a little loose more than likely. Be safe and good luck.