: Met a 2nd Generation CTS-4 (V6)...

FuzzyLogic
04-13-12, 01:20 PM
I was driving through Norwich today and saw a red 2nd generation CTS with a parking spot open next to it. Figured I'd do a comparison shot. Enjoy!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/IMG_0063.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v219/QuicksilverG4/IMG_0064.jpg

rand49er
04-13-12, 01:57 PM
Hey, both red!

I'll take the one on the right.

FuzzyLogic
04-13-12, 05:57 PM
Good choice. It weighs 3700 lbs with a full tank of gas and puts out just under 400 RWHP. Whenever I get my parts from Thunder Racing, that number should rise to anywhere between 460 RWHP and 480 RWHP.

The V2 looks fat.

Cue obligatory "your momma... " joke.

Tackelbarry
04-13-12, 06:14 PM
When they are side-by-side the differences are very apparent. Your picture just reaffirms why I like my "V" so much.

thebigjimsho
04-14-12, 01:38 PM
Those pics are boring. How about my V2 next to an old CTS?

The V2 may be fat, but we can fit 300+ wide tires. And, hey mom, no wheelhop!

FuzzyLogic
04-14-12, 03:39 PM

So can my V. :bigroll:

thebigjimsho
04-15-12, 01:50 AM
p00p™

repenttokyo
04-15-12, 01:53 PM
Good choice. It weighs 3700 lbs with a full tank of gas and puts out just under 400 RWHP. Whenever I get my parts from Thunder Racing, that number should rise to anywhere between 460 RWHP and 480 RWHP.

what weight reduction have you done? V1's are listed at 3850 lbs....

D3l7a3ch0
04-15-12, 02:11 PM
I feel like I'm looking at my HOT girlfriend next to her plain jane younger sister who wasn't as fortunate in the genetics lottery

FuzzyLogic
04-15-12, 07:29 PM
what weight reduction have you done? V1's are listed at 3850 lbs....

It's been a while, but off the top of my head...

- Removed the spare tire and associated tub, tools, and mounting bracket
- Not using run-flat tires
- Replaced stock battery with lighter battery
- Replaced LS2 clutch and flywheel (75 lbs) with LS7 clutch and Fidanza flywheel (46 lbs)
- Replaced cast iron manifold (26 lbs apiece, I believe) with stainless steel headers
- Replaced exhaust with resonator and huge mufflers with Magnaflow 16637 catback with X-pipe
- Threw away engine blanket
- Replaced stock intake including rubber tube with combination Volant and Lingenfelter CAI
- Replaced stock suspension with Ground Control coilover kit and 8" springs

D3l7a3ch0
04-15-12, 10:55 PM

AND you get a discount at Denny's!

RADEoN
04-15-12, 11:01 PM

- Replaced LS2 clutch and flywheel (75 lbs) with LS7 clutch and Fidanza flywheel (46 lbs)
- Replaced cast iron manifold (26 lbs apiece, I believe) with stainless steel headers
- Replaced exhaust with resonator and huge mufflers with Magnaflow 16637 catback with X-pipe
- Replaced stock intake including rubber tube with combination Volant and Lingenfelter CAI

Car didn't come with a spare tire. It came with the runflats. The weight you "reduced" was added on by the previous owner.

Also, the weight reductions you've listed are about negligible. A gallon of fuel is roughly 6 lbs, so you're saying your car weighs about 100+ lbs less than anyone else's V1 on the planet.

FuzzyLogic
04-15-12, 11:32 PM
Car didn't come with a spare tire. It came with the runflats. The weight you "reduced" was added on by the previous owner.

Also, the weight reductions you've listed are about negligible. A gallon of fuel is roughly 6 lbs, so you're saying your car weighs about 100+ lbs less than anyone else's V1 on the planet.

Are you saying the quoted 3850 lbs is dry weight?

Also, the dealership told me the car was supposed to come with a space-saver spare. Why would they bother including a spare tire well if the car didn't come with one stock?

In any event, if you're really curious, I'll try to pull up my spreadsheet from a while ago and give you the exact weight reduction that I measured (piecewise). The biggest gains came from the (assumed) loss of a 20 lb space saver spare, 5 lbs from the tub, 29 lbs from the clutch swap, ~20 lbs from the headers, ~10 lbs from the suspension, ~10 lbs from the battery, 40 lbs from the exhaust (the Magnaflow 16637 weighs 60 lbs), and so on.

Ak Jim
04-16-12, 03:39 AM
These cars did not come with a spare. Luke had a "kit" that included the well and jack. I got the kit from him when I got my second set of rims with non-runflat winter tires.

repenttokyo
04-16-12, 01:19 PM

cool, thanks for the list :)

Also, the dealership told me the car was supposed to come with a space-saver spare. Why would they bother including a spare tire well if the car didn't come with one stock?

it has the tub because the regular CTS came with a spare. The CTS-V never did, tub was empty when bought new.

GDPossehl
04-16-12, 11:21 PM
it has the tub because the regular CTS came with a spare. The CTS-V never did, tub was empty when bought new.

Some came with optional air pump in the spare tire well.

thebigjimsho
04-18-12, 05:39 PM
And goop.

MurphV
05-04-12, 08:19 AM
Spare tires and runflats= soccer mom. The V never came with a spare tire if it did what would bethe reason for runflats.