Cadillac Owners Forum banner

20,000 mile update

3K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
I have hit 20,000 miles on the V. I bought it new in March of 2011. It is my daily driver. I have a 75 mile round trip commute. I thought I would post a summary of my experience so far...

The bad-

Gas mileage. Lifetime average is 15.1 MPG with 90% highway.
Wheel click (fixed)
Recaros squeak (fixed, fixed again, now louder than ever)
Supercharger rattle (GM replaced entire unit the first week of ownership)
Rattle in driver's door (fixed)
Center console scratches if you look at it funny.
Sometimes I can't shift out of 4th. Haven't been able to reproduce this with consistency yet.
Creaks more then my 20 y/o Toyota.

The good-

FAST
Smooth ride
I get thumbs up all the time from car people.
Best combo of ride/handling of any car I have ever driven, period.
The look on peoples faces at the track when they see a 4300 lb sedan being flung around Sebring.

I would say the good outweighs the bad, however, this will probably be my last GM car. It's a shame because they could have had a customer for life, I have a Suburban and a Z06 and the Cadillac has been the the most issue prone. I will say my dealer service has been better than excellent, even better than when I had a Lexus. I think this is a fantastic, brilliantly engineered car that suffers from terrible build quality. With that said I plan to drive the s*** out of this car for the next few years until the warranty is up...

MC
Manual transmissions are a dying breed and Cadillac has given us one.

See less See more
#2 ·
Great report. I am a fan of long-term reports and love to see them on the forum.

I am sorry to hear about the creaks. I'm about to hit 36k miles and still have only an intermittent rattle of the B-pillar. "OUCH" to requiring a supercharger replacement the FIRST WEEK of ownership. That would leave a bad taste in my mouth. I think the V's biggest flaw is inconsistent build quality from car to car, mine's been excellent. Hopefully this will improve for the V3.

#4 ·
I purchased my V on April 1 2011 and I now have 6000 miles on it. It is my daily driver but I work from home so no office commute. I typically use it to run errands around town and visit my company sites a couple fo times per month. In the ~6000 miles, I have averaged 17.2 mpg. 70% highway 30% rural roads.

Issues encountered:
Sunroof seal was sticking up on drivers side (dealer fixed, no leaks!)
Wheels were scratched right off the showroom floor (Dealer replaced but minor scratches. I think it is their tire mounting machine causing this and told them)
Nasty wheel click (have not been back to dealer yet)
Fuel mileage (I'd like to average 19 mpg and probably could get close if a kept my foot out of it)
Occasional oil burning smell whenever I change my oil. (No, I'm not getting it get on the exhaust manifolds. Did this from the dealer to. Takes about 300-500 miles to get it to disappear)

The Good

Unreal speed from a 4500 lb car.
Outstanding braking
Corners well. Not better than my 08 Corvette, but amazing for a large sedan
Great interior.
Love the Recaro's
Shifter feel much better than the stock C6 shifter.

Overall, the best car I have ever owned. Yes, there are some flaws, but overall I am extremely happy with my V.

#5 ·
I too have hit the 20k barrier on my 2010 sedan. I have the wheel clicking that I need to get resolved but other than that this is far and away the best car I have ever owned. For such a high performance car, it rides so well. The acceleration (OMG!), steering, handling, and braking (saved my butt more than once) are unbelievable. I have never taken it to the track nor have I modded it except for the tinted windows. The other pluses are the USB and the Bluetooth. All that and it actually has a usable trunk. Totally awesome car!

#6 ·
I can't argue that there is a better car out there that combines practicality and fun. My Z06 is more fun on the track but not by much. But my Z06 has lousy seats, no back seat, worse ride (but better fuel economy). I just feel it need to be screwed together better. On a positive note there hasn't been any electrical gremlins which really bug me (i.e. BMW)

MC

#9 ·
I am 200 miles shy of 60,000 100 mile round trip commute.
Bad
1. Electrical gremlins,auto transmition not shifting when it should.
2. Rear gears started making noise at 50,025 miles. Changed fluid twice and got better but shavings on magnet make me worry.

Good
1. Comfortable compared to my 02 z06
2. Fast as my corvette when it was stock
3. Corners almost as well

All this equals my corvette being up for sale. It is hard to express how much I love my ctsv. Thank you Cadillac

#10 ·
unfortunately i'm left with the same opinion in regards to inconsistent build quality on a $74K car. the part that makes this especially difficult is that it is such an amazing engine and suspension. i love it, i hate it, i love it..... why such a crappy build GM?

#13 ·
Ditto. Aside from the wheel click and Recaro rock, I have had no serious issues. Granted, I've only put 20k miles on my '09, but it is driven nearly every day and in a highly spirited manner when I'm behind the wheel. Count me as one if the owners in the "very satisfied" category.
Same here - had the wheel click and a leaking oil-pan gasket, which were fixed by the dealer under warranty, (new front rims with modified rim/hub interface fixed the clicking issue), and the UV creaks occasionally when there is some body flex, but is so minor that I hardly notice it.

Best car I've ever owned!

Rob

#12 ·
thebigjimsho said:
Mine has been vault-like and pretty trouble-free...
Ditto. Aside from the wheel click and Recaro rock, I have had no serious issues. Granted, I've only put 20k miles on my '09, but it is driven nearly every day and in a highly spirited manner when I'm behind the wheel. Count me as one if the owners in the "very satisfied" category.

#14 ·
i have only had mine for 2 weeks and i love it. every time i walk outside all i say is wow that thing is beautiful. i havent had any problems yet. dealer warned me about wheel click after i bought it. I wish the recaro seats didnt cost $3500 i would have bought them. the best part is the ride quality to me, being able to drive a crazy fast car with touring car comfort is great. living in the midwest im waiting on winter, i hope i make it through safely.

#16 ·
I have an 09 and I have to say that from what ive heard it seems like 2009 had the best build quality of all the V's. Before the GM bust - prob cause alot of people were afraid of losing their jobs so they gave 110%. We also have all the cool stuff like door sills and ambient foot lighting...oh and a 100k powertrain warranty where as 2010+ only have a 50k warranty because they are actually NEW gm

#20 ·
Were I to purchase a used V, it would be a 2009 for sure.

Mine is quiet as I am about to turn 36000 miles. First daily driver I have kept for over three years in 15 years. I love it!

Oh, and mine was built on a Friday.

#21 ·
I just got my 2010 v on April 4th, it had 27,000 mile on it when I got it, It's already at 30,000. I do have supercharger rattle, and the wheel clicking issue, with occasional squeaks / rattles inside. Despite that I still love this car, build quality could be better but the car is so much fun to drive, it would be hard for me to let it go even with the issues

#23 ·
Yeah i have the same issue with the creaking Recaros.

I've also noticed that anytime I really get on the gas (floored), i hear a groaning sound from the rear, even above the exhaust and supercharger noise. it's happened since it was new, and i have never worried about it, but perhaps i should start?

#24 ·
Mystical_Ice,
I see that you aren't concerned about the groaning sound you described; have you ever gotten it looked into by your dealership? If we can look further into anything for you, please contact us via private message here on the forum (include the last 8 of your VIN along with your question(s)).
Best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.