: V at dealer...loaner standard CTS

cruiser68
04-12-12, 03:56 PM
Took my V in for a few service items today. First the suspension squeaking has gotten bad enough I can't take it anymore. Every time I go over a moderate bump like my driveway, it squeaks like mad. Second was a power steering groan I hear sometimes when turning from full right to left. Third for the Nav which will not update with the current disk due to read errors even with a replacement disc.

They gave me a standard CTS sedan. Nice car but the gas pedal seems to be broken :)

RapidRob
04-12-12, 05:37 PM
^^^ - Heh, I had the same experience when I was given a CTS loaner while my V was being serviced. Maybe there's a TSB about broken gas pedals for CTS's ... ?

Rob

cvs
04-12-12, 07:25 PM
At least the standard CTS doesn't have the leaky gas tank issue like the V. Fewer stops at the gas station, right?

shchow
04-12-12, 10:18 PM
My V is at the dealer getting the pop-up screen fixed.
I got standard coupe for loaner. It's been awhile since I drove the coupe. It feels more nimble than my sedan, pleasantly surprised...

cruiser68
04-12-12, 10:22 PM
At least the standard CTS doesn't have the leaky gas tank issue like the V. Fewer stops at the gas station, right?

Yeah they definitely fixed that issue, I drove my usual 60 mile roundtrip and the needle barely moved :)

Put it on a lift for inspection, then the squeaking disappeared...even after I picked it up :(

Groan in steering was a leaky hose fitting...but not leaving a spot on driveway.

Lastly, they worked with GMNAVDISK engineers and they told them to tell me to ask for a refund on the 2012 disc as they have had HUGE problems with it. Not too happy about that one but at least it works with 2011 data. Hoping they eventually get it fixed so I can get it updated.

Nice to be back in my car. On a positive, I asked them not to wash it as I just had paint correction done. Then ended up hand washing it including cleaning the wheels. Looked OUTSTANDING when I picker her up.

JFJr
04-13-12, 10:36 AM
Lastly, they worked with GMNAVDISK engineers and they told them to tell me to ask for a refund on the 2012 disc as they have had HUGE problems with it. Not too happy about that one but at least it works with 2011 data. Hoping they eventually get it fixed so I can get it updated.

I have the same problem; my nav system locked up because of a partial update with the defective 2012 disc. I'll lose my extensive address book, too.

I also got a standard CTS for a loaner and it is more tiring to drive than my "V" with a manual transmission. The standard CTS seats are flat and uncomfortable. The suspension causes the car to wander on the road. It does not feel anywhere near as solid and planted on the pavement as my "V." I can't wait to get my car back! I'm very unhappy with GM NavDisc. The defective 2012 data update disc caused all this and their cavalier attitude towards customer service is appalling. I hope they have the opportunity to feel some of our pain and inconvenience in having us fix their problem. At least my local dealer, Claude Nolan, is diligently working on replacing my nav/radio and helping me get a refund on the disc cost.

Jud

baabootoo
04-13-12, 12:30 PM
Mine's been at the dealer 8? times, mostly for a leaky sunroof and leaking shocks. I have NEVER gotten a CTS loaner. I am again in a Malibu which is the loaner I usually get. I asked for new Camaro, of any type, but was shot down. I have gotten stuck with a minivan from a rental place once!!!!

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-13-12, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the updates, cruiser68! Glad to see you're back in your V, and please don't hesitate to send me a PM if you'd like me to research any concern further for you.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

cruiser68
04-13-12, 01:21 PM
Katie,

Now worries at this point as I am getting treated very well at Naperville Cadillac. It is quite disappointing about the Nav disc problem but stuff happens.

JFJr - Agree completely with your assessment of the CTS. The seats made me REALLY happy I got the recaros and the suspension definitely doesn't feel as nimble or planted. Then again I have had people drive my V and complain it is not plush enough so to each their own I suppose.

I still can't believe Cadillac made such a fantastic vehicle as the V!

tedcmiller
04-13-12, 11:11 PM
Giving you a standard CTS as a loaner is probably standard practice at most Cadillac dealerships. I have had my CTS-V in for work twice and received a standard CTS as a loaner both times. I don't think they have any CTS-Vs for use as loaners. The standard CTS is no V. It does go, stop, or handle as well as a V. It is what it is.

marktanner
04-14-12, 04:15 PM
Just got my V back from the dealer after a week with a CTS loaner, also. Took mine in because the Nav wouldn't take locations except via OnStar, then it wouldn't do locations from POI's either, so I took it in. Also had to reprogram the TPS, because two of them were switched when the tires were replaced, and to repair a clunk in the rear suspension.
They tried to repair the Nav via a program (not map) update, but it wouldn't take that either, so they replaced it with a new Nav unit. Good news is that the new unit has the latest maps, I didn't have to pay for it, or go through the update aggravation. Bad news is that I lost all of the addresses and saved albums. Didn't even get to make a list of what was in there, and there was a lot. Oh well. Next bad news was that the new unit insisted on starting my trip from Jefferson Ave, Detroit, Michigan! The unit knew where the car was, where the destination was, local traffic and weather, but would only give directions from the factory! 731 miles and 10 hours 55 minutes to get home! Even Atlanta's infamous traffic jams on Friday afternoons aren't that bad! Took two hours with the dealer, then OnStar's tech advisers, and two power cycles, before it started to work correctly. During the last OnStar tech call, my DIC said "service TPM soon" (just done!), and then the light started flashing! Talk about Friday the 13th! Took it back this morning and they reflashed it and everything is working perfectly. Suspension clunk turned out to be a missing rear sway bar bushing. The car drove and handled perfectly, just made the clunk at times. Blessed quiet now, and replaced under warranty.

My loaner was also a base CTS sedan. Base as in only one option, the automatic transmission. With Raven Black over Ebony vinyl, it had an MSRP of about $38K. It was actually a fairly cridible car for the money, but could have been better for just a bit more money. First, the seats were not that comfortable. The leather seats I have tried, especially with the adjustable lumbar support, were better to sit on (not in, like my Recaros, alas). The vinyl looked okay, though. Second, the engine was creamy smooth and adequate off the line when just tooling around, indeed much better than the same unit when in the SRX. However, when asked to perform, it was pretty lacking. The gas mileage was really no better than what I have experienced with the 3.6. Since it's the same block, I doubt the 3.0 really costs much less than the 3.6, so perhaps they should just cancel the 3.0 altogether. Third the base suspension needs some work. Creamy and floaty it was not. It actually handled fairly neutrally, surprisingly so in fact. However, it was fairly firmly sprung but underdamped, especially on rebound. As a result, it would pitch and bob, and made some sharp, un-Cadillac like vertical motions over bumps on the highway (like bridge transitions), that were pretty unpleasant. My FE3 '08 CTS was better, and my V is WAY better in this regard. It lunged on bumps in turns, too. This suspension was definitely NOT tuned on the Nurburgring! Interesting also, because I have driven older FE1 CTSs that drove better (this was a '12 with 900 miles on it). Fourth, the steering was way too light and numb, and stangely non-linear on turn-in at times. My '08 had much better steering, too. IMHO, this car could be a lot better with a retuned suspension and steering, the leather seats with lumbar, and the 3.6 (and made the stick available with the 3.6 again, too. If they added Luxury level One, it would feel a lot more special, and they could offer all of that for less than $40K, or maybe even $38K, what with reducing options and engines they wouldn't have to inventory or offer. Just my opinion, of course.

JFJr
04-14-12, 06:03 PM
Ha haa! This thread is an example of why this is a great forum. Many of us are constructively criticizing the base CTS loaners, which will improve the next generation base CTS, if the engineers are listening. And it shouldn't cost much, if anything, to make the improvements. The base CTS will never approach the "V," but it can be better, even for non-car people. And the CTS-VR's will improve the V3's. It's all good and it's not even a Buick.

Jud

Smokin_Cache
04-14-12, 11:16 PM
I was given a cts for a loaner. The seats felt like I was sitting on a very small pillow in the center of the seat. The oil pressure gauge kept catching my eye. For an instant I would think "why am I building that much boost just cruising" nice car for a loaner

shchow
04-15-12, 11:00 AM
The oil pressure gauge kept catching my eye. For an instant I would think "why am I building that much boost just cruising"

Haha,
I had the same reaction, until I realized it was measuring the oil pressure...

oldiemotors
04-15-12, 11:23 AM
Took my V in for service and they gave me a brand new 2012 SRX loaner. Very nice vehicle, and driving it home I started to get concerned about the wife factor with this loaner. Good thing my wife is a motor head too. That SRX didn't stand a chance.

mannyz
04-16-12, 05:16 AM
Haha,
I had the same reaction, until I realized it was measuring the oil pressure...

At one point boost was reading more than my oil pressure. Thats when my pains began.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-16-12, 08:27 AM
Ha haa! This thread is an example of why this is a great forum. Many of us are constructively criticizing the base CTS loaners, which will improve the next generation base CTS, if the engineers are listening. And it shouldn't cost much, if anything, to make the improvements. The base CTS will never approach the "V," but it can be better, even for non-car people. And the CTS-VR's will improve the V3's. It's all good and it's not even a Buick.
Jud
I agree, Jud! For my part, I've documented this thread where various GM departments can access it, and I'm always glad to read interesting feedback on this site.

Thank you for the helpful responses, everyone!

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service