: 07 EXT Tailgate Assist

WaterKing
04-11-12, 06:42 PM
In another thread I answered someone about the part number to use. Previously there had been problems with installation using a Silverado kit..It was too short. Finally got around to installing the most recent Dee Zee 43101 tailgate assist on my EXT. Required about 15 min mostly to find the M4 and M5 allen wrenches. It required NO modifications. Apparently, when they went to the ball type upper joint the cylinder extended length was a little greater and it is now just enough to allow it to work without any changes to the lower plate or stud. I did make sure the lower plate was not tightened until after the shock was mounted and the tailgate was fully lowered with the retaining cable on that side tight. No more wacked head while working on the hitch assembly! Pretty neat to let go of the tailgate and watch it slowly lower itself. Worthwhile safety mod. Now I will have to rig a mercury (or similar eco friendly) switch to let me know when it has not been fully shut....Until now I could always depend on the loud thump and shudder like a driveshaft just blew to tell me I didn't have it shut fully.

escalade kidd
04-11-12, 08:07 PM
Thanx for the info!!!

2007XTSDub
04-12-12, 10:16 PM
What's the model # of the new one?

WaterKing
04-15-12, 03:47 AM
Dee Zee 43101...number did not change...it has a ball joint at both ends..earlier model had a slot/hole configuration on the upper end just like the retaining strap..Just have your source verify the ends before shipping. It is not super slow on the opening...Just about right in my opinion. No impact on closing the tailgate so if your assist torsion system is still functional it will be easy to close as well.