: Victim of Piston slap FUDGE!!!!!

Salvage101
04-11-12, 08:23 AM
Sup guys, Got a 08 escalade with 63,000 miles that i think has the infamous GM piston slap. When the truck sits overnight the next day the motor knocks like i put a whole bunch of marbles in a soda can.(you can't hear it when the truck idles, just when i push the gas thats when it gets loud) After about a minute it goes away. I already know GM isn't going to do anything so my question would be, What should i do? How much is a motor going to cost if it needs to be replaced? Its a real shame because i love the truck but I'm not going to be changing a motor on something thats fairly new. If i can't come to a conclusion as to what I'm going to do with it i mite just roll it through the auction over here and be done with it. I was looking into a new ML but i really like my escalade way better. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks

bigtone1013
04-11-12, 09:23 AM
Why wouldn't the dealer do anything? I think they would.

luxurylife33
04-11-12, 09:49 AM
Its a common problem but most people dont have to change their motors because of it. Hell, my truck has 107k miles and does it. Just hope if the motor takes a sh*t, its within your 5 year/100k mile warranty! BTW, the dealer probably wont do anything. Its too widespread of a problem and would cost millions to fix.

K9Caddy
04-11-12, 10:02 AM
It all depends on the dealer and how much noise it's actually making. If it's loud, I'm sure they will take care of you. If you need a stethoscope to hear it, probably not.

hannity
04-11-12, 11:08 AM
Your best bet is to get rid of it and get a truck with a regular DOHC engine. My platinum had roughly over 3000 miles when my piston slap started. Took it to a few dealers and got the run around and was finally told that it is normal. I did a google search and found out about the class action lawsuit against gm for it. They still haven't changed, and I think it's because we still buy from them. If we stop and go to competitors like I did and like you say you are then eventually they will give us modern built engines that will be void of such issues. Especially when we pay such a hefty price for these vehicles. I wish you all the best. Lord knows my wife and I have been ever so happy since getting rid of that escalade.

MrHolland
04-11-12, 11:36 AM
I don't understand what the location/number of camshafts have to do with piston slap.....Hannity

hcvone
04-11-12, 12:32 PM
Your best bet is to get rid of it and get a truck with a regular DOHC engine. My platinum had roughly over 3000 miles when my piston slap started. Took it to a few dealers and got the run around and was finally told that it is normal. I did a google search and found out about the class action lawsuit against gm for it. They still haven't changed, and I think it's because we still buy from them. If we stop and go to competitors like I did and like you say you are then eventually they will give us modern built engines that will be void of such issues. Especially when we pay such a hefty price for these vehicles. I wish you all the best. Lord knows my wife and I have been ever so happy since getting rid of that escalade.

NOW PLEASE MAKE US ALL HAPPY HERE AND GET OUT. If you think DOHC engines are less trouble free than an LS engine like comes in the Escalade, then put the crack pipe down and step away. Take Range Rover, the worst rated car/truck period, if they made as many SUV's as Cadillac they would be out of business, beacause they would spend so much repairing those POS they would be more broke than GM. I have had two RR, come talk to me after your second one, you won't buy a third, although someone like you probably would. Thanks for adding more insight to the forum. :(

mikey cado
04-11-12, 12:49 PM
i just got rid off my range rover and cant be any happier :) i was in shop more than in my driveway they took it back on lemon law cant wait for my wifes to go lemon law

bigtone1013
04-11-12, 01:10 PM
I have a 07 and they told me my warranty wasn't up till October so I know your warranty is still good all I know that isn't normal if it was all of them would do it, mine does not do it. Trick is to get it to do it at the dealership.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-11-12, 02:18 PM
I'm so sorry to hear you've been experiencing this noise, Salvage101!

I'm hoping that you're finding the forum feedback helpful, and please feel free to send me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com anytime if you would like me to do some further research (warranty, etc.) on your behalf. I recommend taking your Escalade to your dealership so you can bring the concern it to their attention, have it documented, and work towards a resolution.

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

RippyPartsDept
04-11-12, 02:24 PM
piston slap is not a warranty issue usually (as far as I know)

definitely have you dealer check it out though to make sure
(you'll probably have to park it there overnight though so you can start it up cold for them)

a truck with a regular DOHC engine
:histeric:
i thought pushrods were 'regular' for trucks, no?

quattrotman
04-11-12, 03:34 PM
Take it in and see what they say. I did with my 07...funny enough it turned out to be broken exhaust manifold bolts. Very similar sound the guy told me and goes away when warm. They fixed it under warranty and all is good.

ELUSIVE
04-11-12, 10:00 PM
My 2010 was making a pretty loud clicking noise and the dealer replaced the lifters under warranty about 500 miles ago. Things are good so far.
I'd take it to a dealer and see what they say. What do you have to lose?

getlade247
04-12-12, 07:39 PM
I took my 07 in to the dealer after it got piston slap. They said normal. It got louder so took it in 2 more times. With no luck at all. And mines loud and last around 10 mins. Especially under acceleration. They did nothing. Now I'm out of warranty

MrHolland
04-12-12, 08:57 PM
^^take it back now, I bet they'll gladly fix it!!!

bigtone1013
04-12-12, 09:19 PM
^^take it back now, I bet they'll gladly fix it!!!

Is there a reason they would fix it now

MrHolland
04-12-12, 09:25 PM
Absolutely, it would be customer pay now.

dkozloski
04-12-12, 09:36 PM
What's wrong with the dealers? It's no skin off their a$$ if the car has to be warranteed. As long as the claim isn't bogus they get reimbursed by the factory for warranty repairs.

MrHolland
04-12-12, 09:58 PM
A little off topic, warranty work is generally flag time with restrictions on the repairs to keep it as cheap as possible. Customer pay however, can be a little less restricted. Not all dealers are like that, some actually value customer service. Sorry for thread jacking.

2007XTSDub
04-12-12, 10:18 PM
Fight for the repair

quattrotman
04-13-12, 02:26 AM
What's wrong with the dealers? It's no skin off their a$$ if the car has to be warranteed. As long as the claim isn't bogus they get reimbursed by the factory for warranty repairs.

Yes, but the repair needs to be justified or its charged back and warranty work is typically not paid at the same rate as if a customer pays. Dealers don't make as much on warranty work.

getlade247
04-15-12, 09:07 PM
The most unbelievable part about my ordeal at the dealership was they said they would open the motor up. Rip it apart and get " there mechanic" to measure the clearance of the piston.
. GM is allowed a certain amount of clearance. And if it's more then the allowed clearance they will pay to have it fixed.
Haha but here is the catch. If it I under the clearance I'm the one who has to pay the entire bill. ..........
What am I in Vegas. That's quite the gamble!!! I said to the dealership. I was shocked Pure BS.

Forgot to mention. I left the truck overnight for the dealer so they could hear it. When I went to pick it up they said the couldn't hear anything.
" are you deaf!! Let's go for a ride now" I told the service manager. We get in the truck I drive down the road and I argue " u can't hear that!!?" as my engine knocks like a f350 super duty. And his exact words were
" ya I hear it. It sounds like sh!t. But it's piston slap and it's normal".
Hmmmm weird didn't do it when I bought it. And my buddies 09 does not do it.

hannity
04-15-12, 10:05 PM
The most unbelievable part about my ordeal at the dealership was they said they would open the motor up. Rip it apart and get " there mechanic" to measure the clearance of the piston.
. GM is allowed a certain amount of clearance. And if it's more then the allowed clearance they will pay to have it fixed.
Haha but here is the catch. If it I under the clearance I'm the one who has to pay the entire bill. ..........
What am I in Vegas. That's quite the gamble!!! I said to the dealership. I was shocked Pure BS.

Forgot to mention. I left the truck overnight for the dealer so they could hear it. When I went to pick it up they said the couldn't hear anything.
" are you deaf!! Let's go for a ride now" I told the service manager. We get in the truck I drive down the road and I argue " u can't hear that!!?" as my engine knocks like a f350 super duty. And his exact words were
" ya I hear it. It sounds like sh!t. But it's piston slap and it's normal".
Hmmmm weird didn't do it when I bought it. And my buddies 09 does not do it.

Been in the same position with mine.

MrHolland
04-15-12, 10:42 PM
That's very unfortunate. Is there another dealer in your area? Would be nice to see some standardization among dealerships.

getlade247
04-16-12, 12:26 AM
Ya But my warranty is up. Not km wise but my truck is 07 and 5 years up.

dkozloski
04-16-12, 01:55 AM
Piston slap is no big deal. Stay off the gas until the engine warms up and then drive normally. In a high performance engine you can either have pistons that are brittle and subject to breakage that have a low coefficient of expansion and don't slap or pistons that are strong but shrink when they are cold and slap. I'd rather have piston slap than a broken piston.

bmon7
05-29-12, 03:56 PM
I just today brought my 07 EXT in to the dealership for a warning light "service traction control". I mentioned to the service tech that I've recently noticed some knocking from the engine during start-up. The service manager just called me to say that the problem was the pistons and that they would need to be replaced but they would be covered under the powertrain warranty. They are doing the work tomorrow.

Salvage, I think you need to find the right dealership.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-01-12, 11:13 AM
bmon7,
Do you have your Escalade back from the dealership yet? If so, how's everything running after the piston replacement?
All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Katie)
Cadillac Customer Service

hannity
06-01-12, 09:11 PM
I just today brought my 07 EXT in to the dealership for a warning light "service traction control". I mentioned to the service tech that I've recently noticed some knocking from the engine during start-up. The service manager just called me to say that the problem was the pistons and that they would need to be replaced but they would be covered under the powertrain warranty. They are doing the work tomorrow.

Salvage, I think you need to find the right dealership.

Wish I was as fortunate as you, I guess the dealer does make a difference.

SouthernCaddy
06-02-12, 05:09 PM
Piston slap is no big deal. Stay off the gas until the engine warms up and then drive normally. In a high performance engine you can either have pistons that are brittle and subject to breakage that have a low coefficient of expansion and don't slap or pistons that are strong but shrink when they are cold and slap. I'd rather have piston slap than a broken piston.

I agree 100%, so funny to read this post and see how many people really dont know anything about a engine. I know it is nothing and the engine will run forever with it. No harm at all. If they replace the engine it will do it again..they just do it to shut you up until it runs out of warranty and then they know you will drive it for another 100K without bitching because you would have to pay for the noise then....:)

cutterman
06-03-12, 09:31 AM
Agree with above. My wife's 2002 Sequoia has had piston slap when cold since 2003. Still running fine and not burning a drop of oil at 130k miles :)