: 1987 Alante running problems

bj58348
04-10-12, 09:53 PM
I've got a 1987 Alante with 40k that all of a sudden sounds like its running on 5 or 6 cylinders. Starts up reasonably easy under the circumstances. The exhaust sounds loud as well. Any ideas? Also, how do you pull the codes?

MoistCabbage
04-10-12, 10:21 PM
Have the plugs and wires ever been changed? 40K is great and all, but after 25 years, original plugs and wires should be considered ancient, and are highly suspect.

I'm not sure if the Allante has the ability to display codes on the DIC, I assume it does though. Try the steps in this sticky:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/55172-how-pull-codes-dtcs-pre-98-a.html

carnut
04-11-12, 08:20 AM
Having the ability to pull codes and no service manual is like having the bullets and no gun! If its not plugs and wires then you have either a wiring connector at an injector thats loose or an injector thats failed. With a service manual, you can short out each injector to locate the faulty cylinder. Once located, then you can determine if its a spark plug, wire or injector.

MoistCabbage
04-11-12, 09:58 AM
Ah, I'd forgotten that the Allantes version of the 4.1 had multi-point injection. Should be easy enough to just unplug each injector, no?