: My water pump went out!

Ny's Caddy
04-10-12, 08:05 PM
55k and my water pump went out. I feel that's a little premature I baby her change all fluids and keep her topped off. I guess you can't beat them all.. Let's see what the Stealership has to say

D3l7a3ch0
04-10-12, 09:16 PM
stealership. hah.

aw man, sorry to hear that. I hope it gets betterr

darkman
04-10-12, 10:29 PM
The water pump, part number 89017592 has an MSRP of $361.66 and the Standard labor allowance is 2.5 hours. Hourly rates very by area and type of shop (from $60/hour small shops to $125/hour dealers in my area). The part can be found for $210 on the web, and there are aftermarket alternatives.

D3l7a3ch0
04-11-12, 01:07 AM
The water pump, part number 89017592 has an MSRP of $361.66 and the Standard labor allowance is 2.5 hours. Hourly rates very by area and type of shop (from $60/hour small shops to $125/hour dealers in my area). The part can be found for $210 on the web, and there are aftermarket alternatives.

Ny's Caddy--what about electric? :-D

alradco
04-11-12, 02:29 AM
$361 for a water pump + 2.5 hours? Curious what the dealership quotes you..

Peter

Wingsfan4life
04-11-12, 06:06 AM
Yup find one on the net or rock auto...there super easy to replace yourself, it took me longer let cool and pull radiator fan off, then to replace the pump it self...

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-11-12, 11:12 AM
Ny's Caddy, I was sorry to read that you were experiencing this! If you still have concerns after visiting the dealership or would like links to parts websites, PM me anytime.

Looking forward to your update,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Ny's Caddy
04-11-12, 11:40 AM
Thanks for your input guys.

So the stealership said its a 1200.00 job..hahahahah. Same dealership that wanted 75.00 to change a burned out brake light. Good thing I'm still under GMPP. My concern with (Let's see what the stealership has to say) was "Ohh I see no service records " since I do it all myself and were gonna give me a hard time but not @ all I'm covered no Questions asked.. Darkman are you a machine ?? Lol I wish I was Your neighbor..

CTSV_510
04-11-12, 12:49 PM
Ny's Caddy, I was sorry to read that you were experiencing this! If you still have concerns after visiting the dealership or would like links to parts websites, PM me anytime.

Looking forward to your update,

Katie

Thanks for your input guys.

So the stealership said its a 1200.00 job..hahahahah. Same dealership that wanted 75.00 to change a burned out brake light.

Katie, maybe you should look into this? A part that retails at $362, plus 2.5 labor hours as per the manual @ $100/hr, should be no more than about $600. $1200 is criminal.

perfect
04-11-12, 12:56 PM
Katie, maybe you should look into this? A part that retails at $362, plus 2.5 labor hours as per the manual @ $100/hr, should be no more than about $600. $1200 is criminal.

It's the Cadillac Tax.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-11-12, 02:40 PM
CTSV_510, you make a compelling point!

Ny's Caddy, I'm happy that you're still covered under GMPP; however, I'd also be happy to give the dealership a call on your behalf to find out the details behind their price quote. If you wish, please send me a PM anytime with your full name, VIN, and dealership info.

Best,

Katie

Ny's Caddy
04-11-12, 03:51 PM
Will do.. Thanks Katie

alradco
04-11-12, 04:17 PM
Wow that's fantastic service. I've never seen Katie post. She seems great!

Peter

howanicm
04-11-12, 06:29 PM
I put a corvette zo6 pump in mine that i picked up at a napa for $160 here in hawaii. So it should be no more than that. Not only do i have caddy tax but hawaii tax as well. It fit fine with the huge pulley but it does take a little more effort than the one made for our car. Hope this helps

AAIIIC
04-11-12, 11:37 PM
What were the indications that the pump had gone bad? Did it start leaking through a bad seal or something?

CadzillaTN
04-12-12, 12:19 AM
:leghump:

:leghump: .................................:leghump:

Ny's Caddy
04-12-12, 12:45 AM
What were the indications that the pump had gone bad? Did it start leaking through a bad seal or something?

Jump in after work.. message said (low coolant level) got out checked sure enough it was low.. drove about two blocks to autozone but before I could get there I could smell anti freeze:((( I knew somthing had busted.. jumped out checkd nothing under car. Turned her off and a nice drip dead center.. knew what that ment

xbladr
04-12-12, 11:18 PM
oh maybe mine is bad then too I wasnt sure if it was my pump or radiator but my v leaks coolant enough to were i get a small puddle if I leave it overnight. Anyone have the pump write up?

Ny's Caddy
04-13-12, 12:38 AM
oh maybe mine is bad then too I wasnt sure if it was my pump or radiator but my v leaks coolant enough to were i get a small puddle if I leave it overnight. Anyone have the pump write up?

Well if you get the car up on stands its easy to know if its the water pump!! If it has been leaking you would be able to see the water run off from the little void hole in the pump..

xbladr
04-13-12, 03:55 AM
It is going up on the lift tomorrow I will take a peek NY's Caddy thanks

howanicm
04-15-12, 03:49 PM
I had a slow leak in the coolant. I got a pressure tester that screws onto the coolant resovuar and pressurizes the system to 15p.s.i and i could see water seeping out of the wheep hole.

Bigtuna819
06-21-12, 07:26 PM
I had a slow leak in the coolant. I got a pressure tester that screws onto the coolant resovuar and pressurizes the system to 15p.s.i and i could see water seeping out of the wheep hole.

Could this be just a bad gasket? I have the same small leak coming from the wheep hole, dont really feel like dropping a few hundred $ on a new pump if i only need to replace the gasket... the cars an 04 with 66k mi

darkman
06-21-12, 07:45 PM
Could this be just a bad gasket? I have the same small leak coming from the wheep hole, dont really feel like dropping a few hundred $ on a new pump if i only need to replace the gasket... the cars an 04 with 66k mi

Anything is possible, but leaking at the weep hole located in area of the housing around the rotating shaft is the signature of a failed water pump - more specifically it means the internal seal between the water cavity and the bearing has failed.

Bigtuna819
06-21-12, 07:52 PM
thanks darkman, guess its better to swap it all out and not have to worry about it later

Wingsfan4life
06-22-12, 07:45 PM
Easy to do as well..

hXc95SLS
06-22-12, 09:39 PM
Yeah I did mine in about an hour. Bought a water pump and new thermostat from summit racing and had the car back on the streets in hours after I wrapped up a few other little projects. Easy job even if you have minimal mechanical experience.