: Emissions failure due to key change?

JFC
04-10-12, 02:26 PM
My car just failed emissions tests because the computer had recently been cleared -- you need about 100 miles of driving history otherwise the test machinery assumes you cleared a code to avoid failing. I didn't clear any codes and the battery didn't go dead.

I gave the testing shop my key 2 instead of the key 1 I usually use. Could this cause the failure? I have seen odd behavior due to switching keys before. Once when I started driving with key 2 the car told me my fuel range was low despite a nearly full tank. I figured it kept separate records for fuel consumption with each key (in case Mr. Leadfoot loans his car to Mrs. Slowpoke), and with no records for key 2 it multiplied by zero.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-11-12, 10:34 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that, JFC! Have you been to a dealership yet to address the issue? (Or did you mean you went to a testing shop at the dealership?)

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

JFC
04-11-12, 10:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that, JFC! Have you been to a dealership yet to address the issue? (Or did you mean you went to a testing shop at the dealership?)

Katie

I have not been to a dealer. The one in my city closed a few years ago (along with many others). I went to an inspection station near me. With over 100,000 miles the emissions warranty is expired. Under state rules I get a free retest. If the car fails again I can apply for a waiver after paying a few hundred dollars to try to fix the problem. I expect it to pass. If I had a code reader I would experiment with switching keys, but since I don't and I only get one free retest I will drive it on my usual key for the requested 100 miles and go back and give them that key for testing.

05velocity
04-11-12, 10:55 AM
Its most likely that your vehicle was rejected because some or all of the OBDII monitors are not ready. The monitors require a specific set of conditions and driving conditions be met in order to enable them to run. If you can find a safe place to run the GM drive cycle it will take alot less than 100 miles for all the monitors to run. Take a look here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

JFC
04-11-12, 11:01 AM
Its most likely that your vehicle was rejected because some or all of the OBDII monitors are not ready. The monitors require a specific set of conditions and driving conditions be met in order to enable them to run. If you can find a safe place to run the GM drive cycle it will take alot less than 100 miles for all the monitors to run. Take a look here:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

Interesting link. My drive to work might do the job, except for idling 2 1/2 minutes with AC and defroster on. Sometimes I can engine brake to a red light, depending on traffic and timing.

Somebody did a search and replace "lf" to "Left Front" and the instructions say to "apply haLeft Front throttle."

05velocity
04-11-12, 11:26 AM
The keys and remotes will have no impact on the OBDii monitor status. Do you know which monitors are not ready? It should be in your test inspection results. If you know which monitor is not running then you need to look at the enable criteria for that monitor to find out why it isnt running.
Also check the battery voltage, connections and grounds. A loose battery connection and or a low voltage condition while the ignition is off can clear the ECM memory clearing codes and unsetting monitors without you knowing it happened.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-11-12, 05:24 PM
Thanks for clarifying, JFC! I can definitely appreciate how your regular dealership closing its doors would be frustrating and inconvenient; this is yet another reason why I'm happy forums like this one exist as a resource.

Glad to see 05velocity's helpful feedback, and please do keep us updated on your situation! (If you'd like me to investigate anything for you, don't hesitate to email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.)

Best,

Katie