: More problems

Xaqtly
04-10-12, 12:45 PM
I figured I should have a thread to track all the problems my car is having, haha. I'm bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow morning.

The first time I brought it in, it was about a week after I picked it up. Here's what they did on that visit:

1. Replaced rear drive line complete assembly, including driveshaft
2. Replaced accelerator pedal position sensor and pedal assembly
3. For the clicking front end noise, they cleaned inner surfaces of front wheels and rotor surfaces.

Yesterday I was driving home, floored it to pass somebody and I heard (and felt) something snap under my right foot. When that happened it went into reduced power mode and the check engine light came on. Reduced power mode actually means that the accelerator pedal is completely disabled so you basically roll to a stop in the middle of the freeway or wherever you happen to be at the time, which IMO is a dangerous thing to happen. To clear it you have to shut the engine off and wait 5 mins or so I think, and then everything works again when you start it back up.

So to be clear, the pedal is not broken per se, and everything still works, but when the assembly snapped the pedal was allowed to travel past the point where it normally stops, and that triggers the reduced power mode which disables any throttle input. I learned this because as I was going home after this happened, I must have pushed the pedal past that point again because it went into reduced power mode again and I had to pull over and shut it off.

So it's going to need another accelerator pedal position sensor and pedal assembly. I'm not sure how it's possible for me to be breaking the pedal stop with my foot, I'm not The Hulk. Is it just made of some flimsy plastic or something? Has anybody else experienced this? I was thinking since I got the car used, maybe it's been repaired badly before or something.

Anyway, they're also going to look at my passenger side window, which has begun to have issues rolling itself up. Sometimes it looks like the motor is going to burn out rather than push the glass up to the top. It's just sluggish, it rolls up slower than the other windows do.

There's also an issue with the car being able to connect to the Verizon network in order to feed onstar data back to onstar, and to provide data to the iPhone app and the web site. So they're going to look into that too.

I've also started hearing clicking from the front again, very faint but it's there, and my Recaros have started rocking from side to side a little bit... not often but sometimes. I'm not even worried about those though, and I didn't mention them to the service dept as they're not particularly important. I'm probably going to try to clean the wheels and mounting surface myself.

As much as I hate to say it, because I love my V, I have never owned a car with this many problems before. It only has about 11k miles on it, and I've only owned it for maybe 2500 of those. But I'm a realist, and the fact is that I got it used with 8500 miles on it, and it was a special order car with every possible option, which was then sold at a dealer auction. It was probably a demo car, and probably beaten within an inch of its life for every one of those 8500 miles. And the truth is that so far Cadillac Service has been completely willing to fix everything that's been wrong with it, so really the only problem has been the inconvenience of having to pull over on the freeway, and having to bring the car in and then drive a rental car.

I would prefer that the car didn't have these problems at all, but it would be a lot worse if Cadillac weren't taking care of it when it needed to be fixed. Fighting with the service department is something I've had to do with other cars I've owned, but not this one. I'll update when I have more info after I drop the car off.

elphil
04-10-12, 02:56 PM
What did the Carfax show on the Wagon? You did pull a Carfax on it didn't you?

Xaqtly
04-10-12, 03:06 PM
Yeah, the Carfax didn't show anything. That is how I learned it had been sold to the dealer I bought it from at a manufacturer's auction, though. But there were no defects or repairs listed on the carfax.

elphil
04-10-12, 03:30 PM
If it had been driven hard for the first 8500 miles the tires should be about 75% worn or been replaced. That should tell you something about how the car was treated.

Xaqtly
04-10-12, 04:08 PM
Hard to tell because I don't know how much tread there was when they were new, but it looks to me like they might be about 50% worn.

elphil
04-10-12, 05:01 PM
50% worn would be normal, maybe even better then average. Sorry you are having bad luck with the Wagon. Of course in Vegas everything is a gamble.

LV_V
04-10-12, 05:03 PM
Which dealer was it?

Xaqtly
04-10-12, 05:37 PM
I bought it from Tropical Cadillac in Florida actually, and had it shipped across the country. Tropical bought the car from auction with the 8500 miles already on it. IIRC, the car was originally sold new in Michigan, then sent to manufacturer auction in Arizona, where Tropical bought it, shipped it to Florida where it sat in their showroom for a couple months before I bought it and had it shipped back over this way.

Hey, a White Diamond manual V wagon is one of the rarest new cars out there, there's probably 25 or less of them in existence. You get them where you find them. :D Neither of the Vegas dealers had a manual V wagon at all, or could even find a single one in either of their multi-state networks.

I am disappointed with the problems my V has been having, but it's not a deal breaker. As long as Cadillac continues to back up their car with good service, I'm ok with it. If it gets to the point where I'm having to take it in once a month for serious issues, I may have to find a different solution though. Hopefully it won't come to that.

flatrockguy
04-10-12, 07:13 PM
Does car fax show all data from any dealer visit?

commander112
04-10-12, 09:56 PM
Does car fax show all data from any dealer visit?

No. Carfax misses a lot of stuff. Even some body work is often missed if not reported correctly or to insurance.

ruby 1
04-10-12, 10:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems. i live in Vegas too. What dealer do you bring the V to?

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-11-12, 09:50 AM
Xaqtly, I'm sorry to hear that your V continues to bring you frustration! Let me take a moment to apologize on behalf of Cadillac for your experience. I can understand how you feel and hope to hear that your trip back to the dealer is productive.

Please do keep us in the loop, and please don't hesitate to PM me anytime in the process if you need additional assistance!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

shchow
04-11-12, 12:06 PM
Hey, a White Diamond manual V wagon is one of the rarest new cars out there, there's probably 25 or less of them in existence. You get them where you find them.

Can't you simply order one and build it to your specs from the manufacturer?
Or did Caddy stop production on the V wagon?

baabootoo
04-11-12, 08:43 PM
Check out your state's Lemon Law too. It's not serious enough yet for Wisconsin, but Nevada's might be different.

stabie
04-11-12, 11:27 PM
You definitely want to check if lemon law is going to apply here. It is a used car, which may or may not be covered depending on state, certified, etc.

Xaqtly
04-13-12, 02:41 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. i live in Vegas too. What dealer do you bring the V to?

It's at Cadillac of Las Vegas, on Sahara. They called me today to tell me it's fixed up and ready to go. I'll pick it up in the morning.

Can't you simply order one and build it to your specs from the manufacturer?
Or did Caddy stop production on the V wagon?

No I could if I wanted a new one, but I got mine used because of the money I saved over getting a new one. Whether it would have had the same issues if I had gotten it new... well, who knows. I don't know how much of it is due to the prior owner.

You definitely want to check if lemon law is going to apply here. It is a used car, which may or may not be covered depending on state, certified, etc.

I'm not at that point yet. Two trips to the dealer for fixes, so far everything covered under warranty, it's really not that bad. Obviously none of us want to have problems like these but I'm really not expecting these to be chronic issues. If I end up having to bring it back every month, I'll probably start looking into what I can do.

Xaqtly
04-13-12, 11:57 AM
Okay, I got my car back today.

Issue#1 where something under the gas pedal snapped and put the engine into reduced power mode: Techs replaced accelerator pedal position sensor and pedal. Which is what they did last time, so I'm hoping it holds up this time.

Issue #2, passenger side window rolls up slowly: Techs replaced front passenger side door window regulator. Rolls up fine now as far as I can see.

Issue#3, Car isn't transmitting data over Verizon to OnStar: The built in phone in the car was stuck on the original home cell tower in Michigan where the car was originally sold new. It took the techs a few tries but they eventually got it to switch to towers in my area. This was obviously not a defect of any kind, just a setting that needed to be changed. In any case it works now, I was able to pull my car's data into the iPhone app for the first time.

Despite having issues with this car, I am very happy with it. I had a DTS rental car for the last few days and frankly it was awful. Nice amenities and build quality was fine, but it's a big wallowy pig. it floats all over the road, there's play in the steering wheel, it's softer than a marshmallow, and despite having a Northstar V8 it had trouble accelerating faster than your average Accord or Camry. So when I got back into my V, I felt how taut the suspension was, how quick and accurate the steering was, and of course the engine; this has to be the best car Cadillac has ever made. It just has to be.

The only thing I'm really worried about at this point is this issue with the gas pedal stop, and whatever it is that's snapped twice now. Since they just did the same replacement they did last time, there's no guarantee it isn't going to happen again, and I still don't have an explanation as to what exactly is breaking or why.

Oh, and unfortunately now there is a sort of loud plastic popping noise every time I depress the clutch... I haven't looked at it yet but I know it's a result of replacing the gas pedal assembly and one of the plastic pieces down there not lining up exactly right. I'm hoping I can just get under there and sort it out. But I am a little disappointed that nobody at my dealer's service department seemed to notice it. It's relatively very loud, much louder than road noise, and it happens every time the clutch is depressed. I'm sure it's just a simple plastic realignment, but I'm having trouble believing nobody there noticed it. Oh well.

If I can't fix it myself I'll bring it back, mostly though I'm just happy to have my car back.

FLTRI
04-13-12, 03:26 PM
Glad you got it back, and are (mostly) happy. I gotta say, you are a lot more patient & forgiving man than I am...

Hope you find the clutch click easily, and really hope the next time it sees the dealer it's only for an oil change.

Xaqtly
04-15-12, 05:43 PM
I found what was causing the popping noise when the clutch was depressed. It looks like when they reassembled the plastics after installing the new pedal assembly, they didn't reinstall the clip that holds the tiny light in place that lights up the footwell when you open the door. So the light, which is basically just a little cable with a light bulb at the end of it, was actually hanging loose and getting caught up near the base of the clutch.

So I just grabbed some tape and taped it up close to where it's supposed to be. It'll be fine there until the next time I bring it in to the dealer. But for now, it's back to normal.

Glad you got it back, and are (mostly) happy. I gotta say, you are a lot more patient & forgiving man than I am...

I guess it's because when everything is working, it's my favorite car ever. That's really what it comes down to, I might be more inclined to complain loudly or trade it in or inquire about buybacks if I didn't love it so much. But the simple fact is that when everything is perfect like it is right now, I just don't care. Yesterday I had it out in the torrential rain, and this morning it was covered in black water spots so I took it to get washed. I had the sunroof and windows open and it reminded me why I wanted the car in the first place.

Did I care that I had to tape up the footwell light in Cadillac's $72,000 flagship car? No. In the end, that's a minor inconvenience that I can't bring myself to care about while I'm driving around on a day like today, with 556 HP under my right foot and a face full of sunshine.

FLTRI
04-15-12, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I make excuses to drive mine, gotta go get charcoal at Lowe's in a few minutes, I'm kinda low. Kinda...

Spent the better part of today detailing it, I got caught out last night in the rain too. Washed, waxed, took all the engine covers off and detailed them, tested some Back to Black on the dash, vacuumed the carpets, and got the all of the glass streak free. I haven't been this infatuated with a car since I bought my first Corvette 20 years ago. It's a Beast, great looking, and elegant all at the same time...