: Potential Escalade Purchase- Rust Concern

Pravo
04-10-12, 12:10 AM
Hey all,

I have done some searching on the rust issue with these cars and I'm a little confused. A lot of the Escalades I've seen have undercarriage rust- is it purely a cosmetic issue or should I avoid the Escalade because of it altogether?

Here's the thread I was looking at in particular: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/221486-rust-corrosion-under-hood.html

quattrotman
04-10-12, 03:02 AM
I was also surprised about how much rust there is on my escalade. The undercarriage is very rusty mind you it is all surface rust. Mostly the frame etc. Nevertheless, my Porsche cayenne is 2 years older and has no rust at all and neither does my 07 Mercedes ML. When I say no rust, I mean not a speck anywhere. They all have similar miles within 10K here or there. Some things are normal like the exhaust manifold...they always rust because of the extreme heat they go through. Never seen an manifold that isn't rusty unless it's stainless. My engine rust is minimal but a lot of alluminum corrosion. Still, I am a bit put off by the rust and will get it on the hoist soon to remedy...wire brush it out and get out the black tremclad. Again, another sign or cheap corner cutting by GM. I guess they figure none of their buyers will look under the vehicle so out of sight...out of mind. I wouldn't say that it is majorly concerning as far as there being structural rust issues or holes in the bodywork but I don't live in the east so we have no excessive salting. Vehicles are not known to be rusty in this part of the country...which is why I find it odd. Come to think of it...I've never had a car with this much rust on it...definitely not in this price range. I remember back in the day my Rabbit was a bit rusty...

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-10-12, 09:32 AM
Welcome, Pravo! I'm sure the forum regulars will chime in with some great feedback (as quattrotman has done already!), and I'm happy to help if you need further assistance. Feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

hcvone
04-10-12, 05:05 PM
I see a lot of Escalade's and many have a lot of underside rust, as does Ford and Ram pickups, my trucks and several customers trucks that are parked inside show ZERO rust. Escalade wax coats there underside parts and frame rails for lack of a better terms, this is not the best thing to use, but that's GM saving the taxpayer money. :( If you are concerned you could always get your truck undercoated, but make sure the place you use has a clue on what they are doing or they can ruin your truck, seen it happen.

Pravo
04-10-12, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to look at late-model Benz ML350s instead. I really don't want to buy a car just to inherit a rust issue that will only cause headaches later on. The salt usage on the roads here makes this a big concern for me.

quattrotman
04-11-12, 03:19 AM
If you are concerned you could always get your truck undercoated, but make sure the place you use has a clue on what they are doing or they can ruin your truck, seen it happen.

This is very true. Undercoating can protect the vehicle very well but can also destroy it. If it is applied after the rust starts or it is done poorly, the undercoating actually traps moisture in and makes it rust more than if it were to naturally dry out by itself.

----------

Welcome, Pravo! I'm sure the forum regulars will chime in with some great feedback (as quattrotman has done already!), and I'm happy to help if you need further assistance. Feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

Just sharing from personal experience. Maybe you could pass on the feedback to the ones at GM who can help fix these issues and give people what they expect and deserve when they spend that kind of money.

hannity
04-11-12, 04:04 AM
This is very true. Undercoating can protect the vehicle very well but can also destroy it. If it is applied after the rust starts or it is done poorly, the undercoating actually traps moisture in and makes it rust more than if it were to naturally dry out by itself.

----------

Just sharing from personal experience. Maybe you could pass on the feedback to the ones at GM who can help fix these issues and give people what they expect and deserve when they spend that kind of money.

I sent a pm to Katie and was told that it's a dealer installed option. I remember one guy on this forum said the caddy dealer sent him to a Toyota dealer to get it done. Post #14
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/221486-rust-corrosion-under-hood.html