: 3M Di-Noc Interior In Progress

Captain McFunk
04-09-12, 07:29 PM
Hey guys. I decided I wanted to get rid of the factory fake carbon fiber by replacing it with....fake carbon fiber. I decided to give some of the 3M Di-Noc Carbon Fiber vinyl a shot. This stuff is absolutely amazing. It molds to any surface with a little heat, and has easily wrapped a lot of my interior pieces so far. I'm going to do a couple more on top of just what was "carbon fiber" from the factory, but i'm not going to go overboard. Here are some shots in progress, and the progress i've made so far. For this much, I've used a 12"x48" portion off of amazon for $30. I ordered another 24"x48" to wrap the rest as well as some other things to experiment with.

The 2 panels next to the shifter is what gave me the idea, I couldn't stand how ugly those things were:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0383.jpg

Then I decided the dash needed is as well, so here it is in progress:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0384.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0385.jpg

And completed:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0386.jpg

And the completed dash:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0389.jpg
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0388.jpg

You can see the vast difference in the old to new in this photo. Waiting on more material to do the rest of the doors:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0390.jpg

And the door (i did it without taking the door panel off. A plastic squeegee works WONDERS):
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn181/CaptainMcFunk/IMG_0387.jpg

I think it looks freaking awesome for $30 invested so far. For the whole car (and a ton left over) I'll have invested about $90 and 3-5 hours of my time. I think it's about as good as you can get.

When I take off the shifter panel to wrap it, i'm going to do a walkthrough on how to remove the piece, as I know everyone has been asking for a video. I'll also do a video of how to wrap it if anyone else wants to go for it. I did NOT use any 3M adhesion primer, as I want to be able to take this off cleanly if I want. As of now, it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere, but you never know. If I get a year out of it, i'll be happy, and just rewrap the parts next year.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks!

Captain

dvandentop
04-09-12, 09:34 PM
damn looks sweet as hell compared to the stock stuff

now if only could wrap the black obsidian trim crap

rockryno
04-10-12, 12:02 AM
Looks great! Was just thinking about doing this to mine. How hard is it to get the dash pieces off? I've got that fake wood I want to cover up, but my steering wheels has the wood too. Think the vinyl would stick to the steering wheel?

vade_R
04-10-12, 01:12 AM
are u going to try to do all of the obsidian(console and shifter)? if you do PLEASE do a write up with pics, looks very cool

thebigjimsho
04-10-12, 08:49 AM
Looks great! Was just thinking about doing this to mine. How hard is it to get the dash pieces off? I've got that fake wood I want to cover up, but my steering wheels has the wood too. Think the vinyl would stick to the steering wheel?

Is it the dark sapele?

Captain McFunk
04-10-12, 11:40 AM
I don't know the different names to all the color interiors, I just know the standard piano black, and that's what i'm doing in carbon fiber slowly. I'll do write-ups on how to take the pieces off. The Dash pieces are VERY easy to remove, you literally just pry them off with a trim panel removal tool. it took me about a minute to get all 3 dash pieces off, and they just push back into place. Very easy.

thebigjimsho
04-10-12, 12:33 PM
I just don't want some g00b covering up his trim when I'm willing to swap with mine, plus cash...

Captain McFunk
04-10-12, 01:00 PM
I just don't want some g00b covering up his trim when I'm willing to swap with mine, plus cash...

Sorry, that wasn't directed to you, i forgot to click the quote button, it was to the post above.

MSOsr
04-10-12, 01:05 PM
Looks superb!

Mike

gmdt
04-10-12, 02:43 PM
wow amazing, can you come to germany and wrap it for me? :)

V for victory
04-10-12, 10:29 PM
That looks amazing! what color did you use, black CF or Graphite ??

rockryno
04-11-12, 12:17 AM
man, I found a tint shop local with a scrap piece of this di noc stuff about 60"x12". I figured Id go pick it up this afternoon instead of ordering online....until he told me he'd sell this scrap piece for $70!!! I told him to keep it. Im all about supporting local businesses, but thats obscene.

thebigjimsho
04-11-12, 03:46 PM
Hopefully they weren't in MA. I bought a big piece and, as a favor, let them keep the rest to play with or use on any future projects I had...

JOEYCTS-V
04-11-12, 04:06 PM
How big of a piece do you need? I have some laying around.

Pphilthy
04-11-12, 06:02 PM
Looks great - nice job...

rockryno
04-12-12, 01:10 AM
Ha no, Denver. I was going to do all my wood panels on the inside. I'll just snag some from eBay or amazon I guess. Thanks though!

Purple87SS
04-13-12, 11:24 AM
That looks great! Good job.

rockryno
04-13-12, 11:27 AM
Found some at a different local shop for $30. Wrapping is underway. How do you get the panels off of the doors? and did you ever get the shift knob off? Im sure both can be done in the car, but its supposed to snow here so Id rather bring the pieces inside.

lastly, my biggest hurdle is wrapping the top of the steering wheel. Any tips or tricks for that one? it looks like its going to be a pain!

Captain McFunk
04-13-12, 12:07 PM
Found some at a different local shop for $30. Wrapping is underway. How do you get the panels off of the doors? and did you ever get the shift knob off? Im sure both can be done in the car, but its supposed to snow here so Id rather bring the pieces inside.

lastly, my biggest hurdle is wrapping the top of the steering wheel. Any tips or tricks for that one? it looks like its going to be a pain!

You have to take the door panels off to get them off. I wrapped them on the door. The shift knob has a screw underneath the boot you have to take off. just pull the boot down and you'll see it. I'm not messing with something as curved as the steering wheel haha.

rockryno
04-13-12, 12:27 PM
haha gee thanks for the inspiring words! ill let you know how it goes

----------

also, do you know how to get the two pieces on the center console off? on either side of the shifter?

Captain McFunk
04-13-12, 12:32 PM
haha gee thanks for the inspiring words! ill let you know how it goes

----------

also, do you know how to get the two pieces on the center console off? on either side of the shifter?

Yes, just pry upwards. They're VERY tight, so you'll have to pull good, but they just pop out. You shouldn't break anything.

rockryno
04-13-12, 05:58 PM
wow! no joke on how tight they are! gotta make sure to pry from the rear first, theres a tab in the front you dont want to break. I got everything done except for the steering wheel and shift knob. I tried and tried but could not get the shifter boot down at all. Its an auto if that makes a difference...

ayway, ill start my own thread in the regular CTS forum since mine is not a V and I dont want to jack your thread. Thanks for the inspiration!

rockryno
04-13-12, 09:17 PM
hey bigjimsho, your mailbox is full, tried PMing you about swapping wheels.

EVIL_C5
04-15-12, 10:07 AM
That does look good, almost makes me want to take bigshowjim up on his offer and ger the wood out of mine.

thebigjimsho
04-15-12, 10:53 PM
That does look good, almost makes me want to take bigshowjim up on his offer and ger the wood out of mine.

You just let me know when.

jguy
05-19-13, 09:34 PM
Looks awesome! Can't wait for a "how to" write up.

TheDarkKnight
05-20-13, 08:30 AM
For the door trim, did you cut it to size before putting it on, or just exacto knife if gently to trim once you got it on?

FSTCDY
05-20-13, 01:24 PM
I wrapped all my trim a few months ago, looked great. The only issue was when the weather started warming up,the edges began to have a few wrinkles and lost its clean smooth look. I just pealed it all off last week. May just be Texas heat. I used the primer and a heat gun when wrapping and it held up perfect for a few months anyway!