: Stuck Front Rotors on 2009 CTS-V

ABest62
04-09-12, 05:49 PM
Anyone else have this problem. Went to change my front rotors last week and they were stuck on the hub,, and by stuck,, basically welded on with oxidation. I had a feeling this was gonna happen as soon as I read the specs for the CTS-V front rotors. Im surprised GM didnít foresee extreme galvanic corrosion by having dissimilar metals touching each other (aluminum rotor hat / steel hub). The aluminum oxide / iron oxide blend had even migrated over 80% of the outside face of the rotor hat!!
A 4lb sledge and penetrating oil overnight didnít even budge them. Ended up buying a couple 1/2 inch full-threaded bolts, about 3" longer than the caliper bolts, a couple heavy duty washers and 4 nuts. Cinched the first nut up to the caliper mount on the rotor side and the other nut flush against the rotor,, then crank away with a ratchet while holding the 1st nut with an open end wrench. When the rotor came lose it sounded like a gunshot,, my ears rang for a half hour (smashed my thumb pretty bad too). What a PITA!

Anyway, this is just a heads up to anyone changing rotors,, be prepared for the worst and dont even bother with a hammer/sledge and penetrating oil!!

jft69z
04-10-12, 12:15 AM
Being from the rust belt, that is a common thing up here. An easy trick for removing them (if you're replacing them anyways) is get an air chisel with a pointy tip & trace around the face of the rotor surface where the wheel mates. Go around the wheel studs and do a couple of passes. You will see it start to release pretty quickly. Most of them pop off with one pass or less & I have never had one that needed a hammer or a torch to release after learning this trick. It's probably a lot easier on the wheel bearing than a hammer as well.

Joe T

thebigjimsho
04-10-12, 09:27 AM
^^^This^^^

cruiser68
04-10-12, 10:23 AM
Once you get them off, a very thin coat of anti-sieze on the hub face makes it MUCH easier to remove the next time. I got tired of using a heavy sledge hammer to get them off my trucks. Then I heard about the anti-sieze trick and it works wonders. Just don't put it on anything but very lightly otherwise it will eventually run.

hutch66
04-10-12, 11:59 AM
I did the anti-seize thing with no issues at a 1000 miles. I know where you're comin from.

ABest62
04-11-12, 04:21 PM
Nice call on the air chisel, my air tools are in storage (renting right now),, but I probably wouldnt have thought of that anyway.. I did use anti-seize though. Should help for next time..

baabootoo
04-11-12, 09:37 PM
Anti-seize on the wheel hubs also!

kstoff
08-19-12, 10:04 AM
I've got a 2009 and I cannot get the front wheel off the hub. Any suggestions?

M5eater
08-19-12, 10:18 AM
afaik the hub's in these car's are pressed on. you need a hub puller or remove the entire knuckle and press it out. It's not going to work if you're using a pulley remover or something.

kstoff
08-19-12, 10:23 AM
I only need to get the wheel off. I painted the rear rotor hats and simply wanted to paint the fronts...should be a simple job...thanks for the help!!

larry arizona
08-19-12, 11:04 AM
Common, thumbs up on all tricks above. Just the vibe of the air hammer works. Try PB blaster next time or silikroil. Can't prevent galvanic corrosion from disimilar metals. But trust me even steel rotors do the same thing.

M5eater
08-19-12, 11:10 AM
I only need to get the wheel off. I painted the rear rotor hats and simply wanted to paint the fronts...should be a simple job...thanks for the help!!

oh, I mis-read your post.

just bang on the( outter diamater ) tire, they're torqued on there to 158ft/lbs. I've had them get 'stuck' once in a while too. Make sure they're not hanging on the stud threads either.

larry arizona
08-19-12, 11:16 AM
For stuck rim, whack the outer edge of the tire with a rubber mallet. side to side as you rotate the tire slowly. You have a significant lever arm there. Hit it at the bottom so you dont miss and whack your fender DOH

kstoff
08-19-12, 12:09 PM
oh, I mis-read your post.

just bang on the wheel, they're torqued on there to 158ft/lbs. I've had them get 'stuck' once in a while too. Make sure they're not hanging on the stud threads either.

Love the color of your V. When the next gen V comes out that will be my color of choice assuming they offer it. Thanks for the help.

M5eater
08-19-12, 02:02 PM
For stuck rim, whack the outer edge of the tire with a rubber mallet. side to side as you rotate the tire slowly. You have a significant lever arm there. Hit it at the bottom so you dont miss and whack your fender DOH
yeah! what he said!

Love the color of your V. When the next gen V comes out that will be my color of choice assuming they offer it. Thanks for the help
Thanks!

thebigjimsho
08-19-12, 05:53 PM
Yep, rubber mallet. wut.