: Could this noise be a lifter??

Noriega7
04-09-12, 11:38 AM
so when i start up the car its all fine until it gets to operating temp and then it starts to make a loud tick on the driver side. i thought it was exhaust leak because it sounds like somewhat of a hiss. changed header gaskets and still it comes back. noise speed increases with rpm but if its at higher rpm long enough it will stop or will stop after oil pressure reaches 41+ psi. thinking about going to a 10w-30 oil to see if it will quiet the racket!!! it is not constant and will not do it sometimes but a mojority of the time. i took the valve cover off and checked to see if everything was moving and it was all equal. i will use a stethascope tonight and see if i can get a better idea.

any opinions/input welcome! thanks in advance!

darkman
04-09-12, 02:00 PM
Most of the things, other than the lifter, you should have found with an inspection underneath the valve cover. That would include a bent pushrod, broken valve spring, a rocker coughing-up its trunnion (needle) bearings, or loose rocker arm.

cam3439
04-09-12, 02:05 PM
does it kind of sound like a belt whine/grinding sound?

Noriega7
04-09-12, 02:36 PM
I also read it could be an injector??? No it sounds like a pencil tapping on a desk or a wicked exhaust leak. Confuses me why it only does it when it warms up though and will stop when oil pressure climbs. Its extra noticeable when driving next to a car or between buildings. Its really audible down by the collector too.

wait4me
04-09-12, 02:45 PM
Did you pull the oil plug and drain the oil and look for metal?

Noriega7
04-09-12, 03:05 PM
Yes had the noise for a while, checked it last time I changed the oil but im changing the oil tonight again so I will check it out again.

darkman
04-09-12, 03:23 PM
I also read it could be an injector??? No it sounds like a pencil tapping on a desk or a wicked exhaust leak. Confuses me why it only does it when it warms up though and will stop when oil pressure climbs. Its extra noticeable when driving next to a car or between buildings. Its really audible down by the collector too.

Yep, I forgot about the fuel injectors, but that is a definite possibility. Your comment about driving between buildings reminds me of header owners often report (although any loud "tick" could be louder under those circumstances.)

Noriega7
04-09-12, 05:25 PM
Could I just unplug injectors 1 at a time and go that way? I know the header tick you're talking about, it def has that but its very faint compared to the other noise. With it going away with more oil pressure is what led me to believe its a lifter but im used to older sbc engines!

darkman
04-09-12, 06:17 PM
Could I just unplug injectors 1 at a time and go that way? I know the header tick you're talking about, it def has that but its very faint compared to the other noise. With it going away with more oil pressure is what led me to believe its a lifter but im used to older sbc engines!

Swap one injector at time with one on the other bank (passenger side) and see if the sound moves.

Noriega7
04-09-12, 06:42 PM
Do lifters go bad often? What does it take to replace??

darkman
04-09-12, 07:12 PM
Do lifters go bad often? What does it take to replace??

Lifters do not fail very often on stock engines. You have to pull the cylinder head to replace a lifter.

In the old days (pre-hydraulic roller, pre-fuel injection) we used to free up noisy lifters by running some "upper cylinder lubricant" through the carburetor (automatic transmission fluid if nothing else was available). I have read some posts in other forums where some have been able to quiet a noisy lifter with one of the Seafoam treatments, but I have not tired that myself. Obviously, the fluid-based remedies do not work if the lifter has a failed or fatigued component or damaged roller.

wcryan
04-10-12, 12:11 PM
I have the same issue. Mine is coming from the passenger side. It also get's louder if it's hotter outside. I dont know if it's the noisy valvetrain stuff I just added, or my lifters are going bad. I'll see if I can get a video.

But yeah, when I go between buildings or when a car drives by me on the right hand side at a stoplight. It sounds loud

Noriega7
04-10-12, 03:18 PM
If you could get a video that would be awesome cuz Idk how to upload on here! The noise is very annoying and no one else seems to notice but me. I changed the oil last night to a thicker oil and still makes the same noise. Wouldn't a bad lifter do it all the time from start up??

RADEoN
04-10-12, 05:09 PM
do you have an exhaust leak right at the side of the manifold?

wcryan
04-10-12, 05:14 PM
I do. But it doesnt sound like an exhaust leak

Noriega7
04-10-12, 05:46 PM
No exhaust leak, I took on the task of changing header gaskets. Didn't fix it :(