: What is the hose and plug on the passengers side on dash in 1987 Sedan Deville

mizatt32
04-08-12, 12:14 AM
New here to the site. I just got done replacing my 4x6 speakers in the dash in my 1987 Sedan Deville and before I started I disconnected the battery because I knew the doors would be open and I didn't want to run the battery down. Well when you replace the dash speakers you have to take the whole top part of the dash apart, which I did and I had to disconnect a plug on the passengers side as well as disconnect what looked like a hose which was right next to the plug. Well when I went to put the dash back together I realized I didn't pay attention to which way the plug should go on and it can actually plug back in either way so it was a 50/50 guess and I also wasn't able to get that hose back on super tight, it was only put back in partially, but it is back on. Then when I hooked my battery back up my temperature gauge was set at auto and on 75 degrees but it wasn't blowing any air at first but then it started to eventually blow air. I'm wondering what that plug is for and what that hose is for. Any help would be appreciated.

carnut
04-16-12, 12:04 PM
The plug is an in car temperature sensor for the automatic climate control. It can plug in either way. The hose is called an aspirator hose. It allows a sample of interior air to be sucked in to the programmer to tell the climate control to provide warm or cooled air depending on the temperature inside the car. The system going to 75 is normal after a battery disconnect. The fan delay is also normal if the in car temp is close to 75. If the hose is kinked or distorted, it can cause a delay in the climate control operation and accuracy. Why the double post?