: no more 22"s

black magic
11-20-04, 10:33 PM
Boy had to do it , Took off the 22"s put back the stock tires. Getting ready for the winter cant beleave how different it looks. Was wondering if anyone else doing it yet?

MaMazBOY49
11-21-04, 03:35 AM
Took my 22''s off back in august. had to drive across the country to where i'm living now so i took them off for that trip and for the winter too. does make a huge difference in the appearance of my ext. can't wait til spring to put them back on again!

TRASHAULER
11-21-04, 09:37 PM
I'm waitin for the snow to fly----so far no snow & november is about over! I'm dreading taking them off.

bigman30685
11-22-04, 01:08 AM
im sure going to miss my blingin 24's

DeL2000
11-22-04, 04:57 AM
same here, took mine off and it does make a big difference.....rather be safe then sorry......

:coolgleam

skaha
11-22-04, 12:46 PM
I have to take mine off this week... waited until the last possible day. It'll suck not to have the bling for a few months.

Kenn
11-22-04, 01:48 PM
Why do you have to take off the 22's for the winter. I have stock 20's on my 05 lade should I remove them too. Im in Chicago and you know we get snow.

black magic
11-22-04, 02:37 PM
Why do you have to take off the 22's for the winter. I have stock 20's on my 05 lade should I remove them too. Im in Chicago and you know we get snow.
Well i really have no choice. When you have about 5000.00 invested in rims anit no way iam letting mother nature touch those babys! :tisk:

TRASHAULER
11-22-04, 04:10 PM
The South Dakota DOT LOVES road salt! I take mine off when the snow flys & the 22's dont have much for traction.

jeff

www.tintmyride.com

mv945
11-22-04, 04:35 PM
I just put 22's with Nitto NT404's on my new 'lade...we don't get much snow in the PNW but could have an occasional dusting. The roads don't get salted either. The Nitto's are M+S (Mud + Snow) rated...I think I will leave them on. I do still have the stock wheels/tires in the garage. It would be a pain to swap them back out though - I had the pressure monitors moved to the 22's.

blingblingcv
11-22-04, 05:10 PM
Yeah Im gonna leave my 20" spinners on. All you gotta do is clean or wipe them. If your that anal to take them off then you will be anal to clean them. Nothing will happen if you wipe them down.

99escalademan
11-22-04, 05:30 PM
Cleaning them is part of the issue but not the half of it. Bigger rims and a smaller tire = less traction on snow. Might be harder to stop in the winter on 22's ,24's etc. vs the stock setup

blingblingcv
11-23-04, 10:43 AM
I fully agree with you escalademan. I have the goodyear 20" so its not that big of a deal. But you must alway drivev with extra care with the snow whether you have low profile tires or not. I see all the NJ nets players they leave there rims on all season. They have no problems at all. But I agree there will be less traction. Everybody drive with care with the snow. Don't want anyone to get hurt or to hurt their precious babies (Escalades :D ) Have a great thanksgiving break everyone.

skaha
11-23-04, 01:57 PM
real winter tires make a huge difference over the stock all seasons. High performance 305's are worse on snow and ice than all season for sure. We get a lot of snow where I live so Winter tires are a must. There is nothing better than ripping around with 4 wheels firing up snow everywhere while everyone else spins and struggles to get around. With high quality winter tires the Escalade is amazing to drive in snow and ice. Very Fun!!!!!!

sanchez
11-23-04, 05:03 PM
Hey i got the factory Chrome's on mine and they'll be on all winter...whats the best way to keep the salt from melting them?

Raplon
11-23-04, 10:02 PM
Skaha, what kind of winter tires do you use?

skaha
11-24-04, 12:41 PM
Bridgestone Winter Duelers (same size as stock tires). I did a bunch of research when I got them last year and they were supposed to be amoung the best winters. I have been very impressed with the performance.

skides1
11-27-04, 02:12 PM
I have driven through the weatern states-(Montana, Idaho,Kansas, etc.) (two years ago) with the Goodyear GTII's. The conditions were so bad (ice), that even with my defroster-set on high- could not keep the ice cleared past about 7 inches above the cowl and I averaged over 70 MPH. To give you an idea of the icing conditions: my stock radio ant got so wieghted down it broke off but my goodyear clad Caddy passed many wrecked Range Rovers and stuck semis without missing a beat. The only reason to go to stock rims is because you drive in continual salt treatment (corrosion) or fear of hitting hidden curbs. Otherwise-no worries-you have one of the best, if not THE best, inclement weather vehicles 24's or not. SS

Flossin
11-27-04, 10:43 PM
I drive my 2000 Escalade on 22" Giovanna Genoas here on the Texas gulf. The damn rims aren't more than 6 months old, straight out of the box and they are already showing signs of corrosion. They rarely stay dirty for more than a week. Theres so much salt in the air we get the damage without having any snow or salted roads to deal with. I wrote a letter to Giovanna to complain that the weather got to the chrom so fast even as much care as I took of them and got no reply. I guess I'm not surprised.. Any other third coast lades down here with similar problems?

black magic
11-28-04, 09:17 AM
Been driving on the stock tires now bout a week, hate not having that bling bling going. But i do noitice there is a big difference on the way it drives and handles. Oh well come on summer giovannas and 22:s the best combo! :cool:

whoppo
11-28-04, 07:06 PM
I ride on 16" Revo's all year long... 22's don't do much off road... and yes, I drive my escalade off road :)

11-29-04, 08:10 PM
I drive my 2000 Escalade on 22" Giovanna Genoas here on the Texas gulf. The damn rims aren't more than 6 months old, straight out of the box and they are already showing signs of corrosion. They rarely stay dirty for more than a week. Theres so much salt in the air we get the damage without having any snow or salted roads to deal with. I wrote a letter to Giovanna to complain that the weather got to the chrom so fast even as much care as I took of them and got no reply. I guess I'm not surprised.. Any other third coast lades down here with similar problems?

Never had that problem, but I've heard of others with the same. I'm just glad we ain't got to deal with that snow s***.

nx vette
11-29-04, 08:39 PM
Ive had my 24s off for about 3 weeks now and I must say it is a big difference .

csmooth79
11-29-04, 08:40 PM

Really, the difference is that your stock 20's are manufactered differently and are usually chrome on top of a steel wheel that is anticipated to go through snow and salt and last as long as the car (hint :: they only look good about 3 years)

We take off our aftermarkets because they dont stand up well and they are a separate investment after our vehicles, next year hope you get some (hint #2 :: get a triple chrome wheel whatever you do)